📍 Meet-Up Moab, UT off-road meet-up - Sept. 24 - 27, 2026 - Attendees: Post your favorite photos and share highlights / favorite memories

Added to Calendar: 09-24-26

Meet-Up📍
It was a “Mean Hill” but it definitely wasn’t anything like that! I pulled all of my dash cam footage and saved it, I just need to go thought it all and find that hill climb.

Ain’t no way I would take my truck on the rocks those guys are on.
 
Thanks to everyone posting photos and videos we had a great trip looking forward to the next one am already stocking up on cigars and whiskey for the evenings
 
Found some video of @Toxophilite scouting Mean Hill for us Saturday afternoon!


:ROFLMAO: :p
Here is the actual video of from my dash cam of Mean Hill.

At the end you can see the giant shelf that was the no-go obstacle that we decided to not attempt. The approach angle was too steep, and there was no way to attack it from the side.

You can see how high the shelf is once Michael is standing next to it (and he is on a rock). The hood of my truck is over 5' off the ground for reference.

We could have stacked some rocks to get up on it, but there was also a good chance that we would have rubbed/mangled our rocker panels once the front tires were up on top and we would definitely have dragged the hell out of our back bumpers.

Probably a good thing we did turn around from this offshoot , I found out later that there are even tougher obstacles not much further up this trail.

For reference, this is not the 3D trail, this is an offshoot we were trying to take to get off the 3D trail sooner.

 
Last edited:
Probably a good thing we did turn around from this offshoot , I found out later that there are even tougher obstacles not much further up this trail.
That was the biggest challenge of the day - not knowing what lay ahead and whether or not we needed to continue down the path, try to find an alternative, or turn around and spend hours going back to where some of the group split off to call it a day before lunch.

I'm glad it all worked out in the end, but that section of the trail certainly gave us numerous challenges to get around.
 
Cool video! Thanks for sharing. Looks like a ton of fun.
 
Cool video! Thanks for sharing. Looks like a ton of fun.
It was a ton of fun!

I want to go back and run this trail again.
 
I want to go back and run this trail again.


Now that you two winched most of the boulders out of the way!

That must have been a major chore! and yet you kept quiet about it.

Thanks, and from all of us! because that trail (but with one more denial! at dusk!) eventually got us out of there.

It was the final, in-the-dark, "****! We missed the turn!" over the radio that had me thinking, "OK, now they're just messing with us."

:p

...but thank goodness it was just a 50 yard miss. The sandy weave from there to the cattle gate felt like 70 MPH! at just 20 - 25 mph after 10 hours at 5 mph...

Tell you what, though. I can't wait to get out and do it again! 🏁
 
Here is the actual video of from my dash cam of Mean Hi


Yeeesh. And we watched you make that scout run from just over 100 yards away! yet we didn't see all of it. Now we have. Holy smokes.
 
Now that you two winched most of the boulders out of the way!

That must have been a major chore! and yet you kept quiet about it.

Thanks, and from all of us! because that trail (but with one more denial! at dusk!) eventually got us out of there.

It was the final, in-the-dark, "****! We missed the turn!" over the radio that had me thinking, "OK, now they're just messing with us."

:p

...but thank goodness it was just a 50 yard miss. The sandy weave from there to the cattle gate felt like 70 MPH! at just 20 - 25 mph after 10 hours at 5 mph...

Tell you what, though. I can't wait to get out and do it again! 🏁

I honestly wish we could have put the boulders back.

That section was one of the tougher parts of the trail and by removing the boulders, we made it passable to more vehicles . I am sure that the Jeep guys that frequent that trail are pissed that the boulders have been removed. Unfortunately, our Super Duty's just couldn't navigate that section without moving them.

Plus, I think we were at the point of no return since it was getting so late in the day, and by that point, people were starting to decide who was going to get eaten if we were on the trail any longer... the granola bars were wearing off.
 
Come on up and I'll meet you down there. All this commotion has me dying to go see it and and run it as well.
If you get a chance, you should go run it. It wasn't just the 3D trail, it was all of the offshoots we kept taking, trying to find a quicker way out.

The trail was a solid 4/10, but some of the offshoots were much tougher. If you do go, I highly recommend you take the offshoot to Mean Hill, and see what you think of it.
 
If you get a chance, you should go run it. It wasn't just the 3D trail, it was all of the offshoots we kept taking, trying to find a quicker way out.

The trail was a solid 4/10, but some of the offshoots were much tougher. If you do go, I highly recommend you take the offshoot to Mean Hill, and see what you think of it.
I was hoping someone would have GPS tracks from Garmin or OnX, as I'd like to retrace the steps on all of said spurs and offshoots. Sounds like those are where most of the mischief came about.
 
@gsea -

First link is for the 3d Trail, second is the bypass we took to get around Mean Hill (It was on this bypass where we had to winch the boulders out of the way ). The third link is another attempted bypass. I don't want to spoil it for you, but you will know exactly where and why we had to turn around on this one!

https://offroad.onxmaps.com/offroad...64vmdxr615&link_id=01M49FRS1E1DDPXMH6VYKNQ2EQ

https://webmap.onxmaps.com/offroad/share/content?share_id=01M49FP8287X3K8VYRMD14YSZS

https://webmap.onxmaps.com/offroad/share/content?share_id=01M49FPZ8Q0ADRPP5AX5V8ESXV
 
Back
Top Bottom