Midland GMRS Radio Center Console Installation?

I drilled a hole in the back passenger side of the console. Put a rubber grommet in the hole and ran the power and antenna cable through it. Power and cable go under the carpet (from the console), and under the passenger seat to the door frame wire channel and split from there. I ran the power straight to the battery. Antenna cable goes to the rear brake light. View attachment 172784


View attachment 172785
Which antenna are you using for your CB?
 
This is how they installed the radio. Ran the cable for the antenna from the third brake light down the driver side and up through the bottom of the console. Had them wire it to the #1 auxiliary switch. View attachment 172778 View attachment 172779View attachment 172780
This looks great. Very professional/sanitary.

I can’t use that antennae location, because I want to carry a camper, but it’s probably the best spot for radio reception/transmission. I’d also be worried about causing a leak at the light. I’m not sure how the bracket and cable interact with the light gasket, but that light is a notorious leaking spot on Ford trucks, even without any modification.
 
This looks great. Very professional/sanitary.

I can’t use that antennae location, because I want to carry a camper, but it’s probably the best spot for radio reception/transmission. I’d also be worried about causing a leak at the light. I’m not sure how the bracket and cable interact with the light gasket, but that light is a notorious leaking spot on Ford trucks, even without any modification.
The gasket that came with the Bullet Proof brack seems pretty robust.I don't do automatic car washes so I am not as concerned. Between not wanting to drill into the cab, not wanting to put a bracket on the hood that would rub the paint, and this bracket, I chose the bracket as the least evil option. I will be keeping an eye on it though.

The folks I had do this install do all of our agency vehicles (think 3 letter outfits) and they do a good job; if there are any issues, I know they will take care of it.
 
I have installed my Uniden CB and my Midland GMRS in the center console. I drilled a hole with a step bit opposite the 12v outlet (seen someone else on the forum recommend this). I ran the antenna cables thru there and then out the side of the console where it meets the carpet and then under the seat where I access the opening in the carpet. A bit forward of there is a rubber grommet that I use as a pass thru in the center of the driver's footwell to go thru the floor. From there the CB cable goes rear along the frame and comes up the fender to a stake pocket mounted four foot Firestik antenna. The GMRS goes forward and routes up the firewall to a Midland ghost antenna mounted on a ditch light bracket (again I got this idea from someone on the forum). For power I use a fused cigarette light type cord and wire that to my radios. I was concerned about available power from that outlet (I sure someone will chime in and let me know I'm wrong) but both seem to be working fine. I recently used them both going from Northern Virginia to Sturgis, SD and back and had no issues. I ran both mics under the console and forward as shown in the pic below. They are out of the way but within easy reach if I need them.
IMG_0876.webp
IMG_0877.webp
IMG_0875.webp
 
I have installed my Uniden CB and my Midland GMRS in the center console. I drilled a hole with a step bit opposite the 12v outlet (seen someone else on the forum recommend this). I ran the antenna cables thru there and then out the side of the console where it meets the carpet and then under the seat where I access the opening in the carpet. A bit forward of there is a rubber grommet that I use as a pass thru in the center of the driver's footwell to go thru the floor. From there the CB cable goes rear along the frame and comes up the fender to a stake pocket mounted four foot Firestik antenna. The GMRS goes forward and routes up the firewall to a Midland ghost antenna mounted on a ditch light bracket (again I got this idea from someone on the forum). For power I use a fused cigarette light type cord and wire that to my radios. I was concerned about available power from that outlet (I sure someone will chime in and let me know I'm wrong) but both seem to be working fine. I recently used them both going from Northern Virginia to Sturgis, SD and back and had no issues. I ran both mics under the console and forward as shown in the pic below. They are out of the way but within easy reach if I need them.View attachment 173370View attachment 173371View attachment 173372
Do you have a link to the ditch light bracket? I like the idea, a lot.
Cheers 🍻
 
Do you have a link to the ditch light bracket? I like the idea, a lot.
Cheers 🍻
Sure, here you go. Please note I did have to take a step bit and make the mounting hole larger to accept the antenna mount. Easy to do though. Let me know if this link doesn't work.


 
It’s funny that I am reading this post tonight, I missed the group buy lol anyhow, I modified the 2022 bracket i had to work on the driver side fender. My question is what is the easiest way to get it into the cab of the truck. Once the other radio I ordered shows up i will end up mounting that probably in the console since ethe ne design of it with the tray I find is kind of dumb at least he old console didn’t interfere so much with the tray.
 
It’s funny that I am reading this post tonight, I missed the group buy lol anyhow, I modified the 2022 bracket i had to work on the driver side fender. My question is what is the easiest way to get it into the cab of the truck. Once the other radio I ordered shows up i will end up mounting that probably in the console since ethe ne design of it with the tray I find is kind of dumb at least he old console didn’t interfere so much with the tray.
I bought my radio system two months before the group buy. I didn't get the same system but still got a good price.
 
Well, it’s finished for now!! Everything works which is nice.

Here are the details:

I started up front mounting the antenna and ditch bracket. The windshield cowling is a pain to work around since it is rigid but got it done.

Routed the antenna cable down the inside of the passenger wheel liner. Easier to see the path laying on the ground. Then routed it thru the @legmar Port in the baseboard.

I then tried going under the seat, but after a half hour concluded it wasn’t going to happen. So plan B , routed it down kick plate to the seat belt, then cut across behind the seat to the console. I put some blue tape in the photos to show it.

Then I took the back of the console off (two screws and a half dozen clips. I located a hole location from the back looking forward and checked clearance on both sides. I drilled a hole forward into the console (stepped from 1/8” pilot to 3/8” DIA finished hole). I put it in the pocket of the grid pattern. The antenna connector came apart making it a smaller diameter to fit thru. Turned out great!

I fabricated a fused power cable to pick up the cigarette lighter outlet.

Mounted the Midland unit to the side a my half safe using 3M VHB tape. No access to drill with the safe installed. Seems strong so far.

Completed the installation by hooking everything up and it works!

Cheers 🍻

IMG_4816.jpeg
IMG_4817.jpeg
IMG_4818.jpeg
IMG_4819.jpeg
IMG_4820.jpeg
IMG_4821.jpeg
IMG_4822.jpeg
IMG_4823.jpeg
IMG_4824.jpeg
IMG_4825.jpeg
IMG_4826.jpeg
IMG_4827.jpeg
IMG_4828.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Well, it’s finished for now!! Everything works which is nice.

Here are the details:

I started up front mounting the antenna and ditch bracket. The windshield cowling is a pain to work around since it is rigid but got it done.

Routed the antenna cable down the inside of the passenger wheel liner. Easier to see the path laying on the ground. Then routed it thru the @legmar Port in the baseboard.

I then tried going under the seat, but after a half hour concluded it wasn’t going to happen. So plan B , routed it down kick plate to the seat belt, then cut across behind the seat to the console. I put some blue tape in the photos to show it.

Then I took the back of the console off (two screws and a half dozen clips. I located a hole location from the back looking forward and checked clearance on both sides. I drilled a hole forward into the console (stepped from 1/8” pilot to 3/8” DIA finished hole). I put it in the pocket of the grid pattern. The antenna connector came apart making it a smaller diameter to fit thru. Turned out great!

I fabricated a fused power cable to pick up the cigarette lighter outlet.

Mounted the Midland unit to the side a my half safe using 3M VHB tape. No access to drill with the safe installed. Seems strong so far.

Complex the installation by hooking everything up and it works!

Cheers 🍻

View attachment 174456View attachment 174457View attachment 174458View attachment 174459View attachment 174460View attachment 174461View attachment 174462View attachment 174463View attachment 174464View attachment 174465View attachment 174466View attachment 174467View attachment 174468
That's great! Now you can do mine 🤪.
 
Well, it’s finished for now!! Everything works which is nice.

Here are the details:

I started up front mounting the antenna and ditch bracket. The windshield cowling is a pain to work around since it is rigid but got it done.

Routed the antenna cable down the inside of the passenger wheel liner. Easier to see the path laying on the ground. Then routed it thru the @legmar Port in the baseboard.

I then tried going under the seat, but after a half hour concluded it wasn’t going to happen. So plan B , routed it down kick plate to the seat belt, then cut across behind the seat to the console. I put some blue tape in the photos to show it.

Then I took the back of the console off (two screws and a half dozen clips. I located a hole location from the back looking forward and checked clearance on both sides. I drilled a hole forward into the console (stepped from 1/8” pilot to 3/8” DIA finished hole). I put it in the pocket of the grid pattern. The antenna connector came apart making it a smaller diameter to fit thru. Turned out great!

I fabricated a fused power cable to pick up the cigarette lighter outlet.

Mounted the Midland unit to the side a my half safe using 3M VHB tape. No access to drill with the safe installed. Seems strong so far.

Completed the installation by hooking everything up and it works!

Cheers 🍻

View attachment 174456View attachment 174457View attachment 174458View attachment 174459View attachment 174460View attachment 174461View attachment 174462View attachment 174463View attachment 174464View attachment 174465View attachment 174466View attachment 174467View attachment 174468
Great job!
 
Well, it’s finished for now!! Everything works which is nice.

Here are the details:

I started up front mounting the antenna and ditch bracket. The windshield cowling is a pain to work around since it is rigid but got it done.

Routed the antenna cable down the inside of the passenger wheel liner. Easier to see the path laying on the ground. Then routed it thru the @legmar Port in the baseboard.

I then tried going under the seat, but after a half hour concluded it wasn’t going to happen. So plan B , routed it down kick plate to the seat belt, then cut across behind the seat to the console. I put some blue tape in the photos to show it.

Then I took the back of the console off (two screws and a half dozen clips. I located a hole location from the back looking forward and checked clearance on both sides. I drilled a hole forward into the console (stepped from 1/8” pilot to 3/8” DIA finished hole). I put it in the pocket of the grid pattern. The antenna connector came apart making it a smaller diameter to fit thru. Turned out great!

I fabricated a fused power cable to pick up the cigarette lighter outlet.

Mounted the Midland unit to the side a my half safe using 3M VHB tape. No access to drill with the safe installed. Seems strong so far.

Completed the installation by hooking everything up and it works!

Cheers 🍻

View attachment 174456View attachment 174457View attachment 174458View attachment 174459View attachment 174460View attachment 174461View attachment 174462View attachment 174463View attachment 174464View attachment 174465View attachment 174466

How did you do the fused power cable for the cigarette lighter outlet? Any photos or video?
 
How did you do the fused power cable for the cigarette lighter outlet? Any photos or video?
I didn’t take a photo. I spliced the adapter to the connector provided by Midland. I cut them to about 6” each, then I soldered the wires together. I used this adapter. It has a tiny red light when there is power which I like the visual indicator.

 
I didn’t take a photo. I spliced the adapter to the connector provided by Midland. I cut them to about 6” each, then I soldered the wires together. I used this adapter. It has a tiny red light when there is power which I like the visual indicator.

I did the same thing. Works great.
 
Perfect timing with this much needed info .. What was the reason for not installing it under the front passenger seat..?
 
Perfect timing with this much needed info .. What was the reason for not installing it under the front passenger seat..?
I have power seats, therefore, there is not enough space. Either side of the power seat unit would be too high probability of a passenger kicking it, IMO.
Cheers 🍻
 
Back
Top Bottom