Lariat slammed out vs Platinum

YES THEY JUST REPACKAGED

It does show De-icer deleted in the second column. ??‍♂️

FA57F1F8-5712-4382-8664-50EA430F2C9D.jpeg

It does show De-icer deleted in the second column. ??‍♂️

View attachment 4092
That was the option on the 2020’s in order to get rain sensing wipers and heated steering wheel. There were a bunch ordered completely loaded but without that $165 add on (and who would get heated wipers in say Arizona?) so I’m sure there were plenty of unhappy customers with 80k trucks and no hearted wheel or rain sensing wipers. I’m guessing they changed it to remove confusion when ordering the 21’s.

That was the option on the 2020’s in order to get rain sensing wipers and heated steering wheel. There were a bunch ordered completely loaded but without that $165 add on (and who would get heated wipers in say Arizona?) so I’m sure there were plenty of unhappy customers with 80k trucks and no hearted wheel or rain sensing wipers. I’m guessing they changed it to remove confusion when ordering the 21’s.

Nail on the head!

MY good friend is an orderer for a Ford store and we had a chuckle when they launched the 2020 and had the heated steering wheel hidden in that option rather than in the Ultimate Package like it was in 2019..

So many managers mistakenly ordered all the Full Jam truck with MSRP > $80k and no heated wheel lol

I'm pretty sure I want a Platinum but have been playing with Lariat builds. Does anyone know what material difference there is between a totally optioned out Lariat vs a totally optioned out Platinum to account for a ~$4K price diff? Is it really just the platinum badging and slightly fancier seat accents?

To put this in perspective, I built a Platinum Tremor with pretty much every option except for PTO and a few others and a totally optioned out Lariat with Sport and Ultimate package and added on everything else that would be standard on the platinum like adaptive steering and adaptive cruise etc, moonroof on both.. I'm ending up with a $88K platinum and a nearly $84K Lariat. The only real reason I'm considering Lariat is to get the blacked out grill as I don't love the chrome on the Platinum and don't see a blackout package for platinum.

Here are the 2 builds, as you can see both are optioned basically to the max. Why is the Platinum still 4K more expensive if I've basically added everything the Plat has onto the Lariat?
That’s it. I ordered the Platinum over the Lariat Blacked out version. I really wanted the blacked out one over Platinum. For me, I liked the black wood inside decor then the brown wood. It’s minor, and of course I loved the seats. So it’s just a preference. I think resale a Platinum should hold more value. But who’s thinking of resale. It’s about having the best truck you can get. Also can’t get the massage seats which I’m my opinion didn’t make the difference. If go go either way it’s going to be awesome ride. Don’t second guess your decision as I always do. Good luck with your truck. Can’t go wrong either way. Let us know what you choose and color.

I find it interesting that with the lariat sports they didn’t get a black headliner like the platinum. Especially with the exterior being blacked out and all.

I was wondering the same thing? Is the headliner in the Platinum fabric like the Lariat?

I'm pretty sure I want a Platinum but have been playing with Lariat builds. Does anyone know what material difference there is between a totally optioned out Lariat vs a totally optioned out Platinum to account for a ~$4K price diff? Is it really just the platinum badging and slightly fancier seat accents?

To put this in perspective, I built a Platinum Tremor with pretty much every option except for PTO and a few others and a totally optioned out Lariat with Sport and Ultimate package and added on everything else that would be standard on the platinum like adaptive steering and adaptive cruise etc, moonroof on both.. I'm ending up with a $88K platinum and a nearly $84K Lariat. The only real reason I'm considering Lariat is to get the blacked out grill as I don't love the chrome on the Platinum and don't see a blackout package for platinum.

Here are the 2 builds, as you can see both are optioned basically to the max. Why is the Platinum still 4K more expensive if I've basically added everything the Plat has onto the Lariat?
Funny that so many of us had this exact dilemma. I really don’t care for chrome, and that Platinum tailgate is gaudy! Love the look of the blacked-out Lariat Sport. I took both builds to the store when I ordered, was leaning emotionally ~90% towards the fully optioned Lariat.

In my mind there are two major differences; resale, and the massaging seats.

Look at pricing tools for 5 year old trucks, it asks what trim line, and once you input Lariat it’s not going to have the choice to include all the options that pushed the price up to near Platinum, you are going to have higher valuation on a Platinum.

When I first heard about massaging seats I rolled my eyes and thought they sounded ridiculous! I couldn’t believe it could be a *thing*. Online search revealed a wide divergence of opinion similar to the love/hate for adaptive cruise control. After owning two vehicles with ACC I will never own another without it. “George” is another set of eyes watching the traffic in front of you and provides many more cognitive processing cycles to be available for increasing your situational awareness. Long trips and stop & go city traffic are MUCH less tiring with ACC assisting. It and HUD (heads up display) should be mandatory on all vehicles for safety! A sales guy along my quest said he won’t rent a vehicle now for long trips without ACC and massaging seats because of how much better he feels at the end of the drive.

So I’m sitting at the order manager’s desk ready to pull the trigger on the fully optioned Lariat and I asked, “do you have a Platinum or Limited on the lot that I can try the massaging seats?”.

Within a minute my ass made the decision!

Think hospital bed air mattress. It would be negligent nowadays to expect you to occupy a hospital bed for any extended period without an alternating pressure mattress. The increase in comfort and decrease in injury (bedsores etc) justifies their expense.

Status: In Order Processing - Scheduled to Day on my Platinum build! ??

Last edited:
anyone who likes to go to Flagstaff in the winter? Flagstaff is on
Funny that so many of us had this exact dilemma. I really don’t care for chrome, and that Platinum tailgate is gaudy! Love the look of the blacked-out Lariat Sport. I took both builds to the store when I ordered, was leaning emotionally ~90% towards the fully optioned Lariat.

Look at pricing tools for 5 year old trucks, it asks what trim line, and once you input Lariat it’s not going to have the choice to include all the options that pushed the price up to near Platinum, you are going to have higher valuation on a Platinum.

When I first heard about massaging seats I rolled my eyes and thought they sounded ridiculous! I couldn’t believe it could be a *thing*. Online search revealed a wide divergence of opinion similar to the love/hate for adaptive cruise control. After owning two vehicles with ACC I will never own another without it. “George” is another set of eyes watching the traffic in front of you and provides many more cognitive processing cycles to be available for increasing your situational awareness. Long trips and stop & go city traffic are MUCH less tiring with ACC assisting. It and HUD (heads up display) should be mandatory on all vehicles for safety! A sales guy along my quest said he won’t rent a vehicle now for long trips without ACC and massaging seats because of how much better he feels at the end of the drive.

So I’m sitting at the order manager’s desk ready to pull the trigger on the fully optioned Lariat and I asked, “do you have a Platinum or Limited on the lot that I can try the massaging seats?”.

Think hospital bed air mattress. It would be negligent nowadays to expect you to occupy a hospital bed for any extended period without an alternating pressure mattress. The increase in comfort and decrease in injury (bedsores etc) justifies their expense.

thanks...yeah I'm pretty sure I'm still leaning toward the Platinum. I would have ordered the ACC option on the Lariat anyway, but on my wife's volkswagen the ACC it HORRIBLE and useless. Maybe we haven't figured out the settings yet but it's overly cautious to the point of being useless. It follows way to far behind and slows down way too much. Maybe ford's version is better?

So strange how opinions differ. I had the multi contour seats in my 2017 Lincoln MKZ, as well as my 2018 F-150 Platinum. I honestly thought they were useless garbage. I think I used them twice. Would never personally purchase above lariat again, and thats from a guy who worked in sales for Ford for years.

I struggled over the same thing, but when I priced them out the price actually came in higher on the lariat. I went with the platinum cuz I liked the new grille and all black on the new style seemed a little too much for me. The new one has just the right amount of chrome upfront I thought. I do want the black headlights though. Then there was The tailgate applique which I didn’t want but now I like it. Biggest thing for me was I liked the aluminum on the inside and supposedly with same options I’ve been told the Platinum would have a higher book value for same condition.

I struggled over the same thing, but when I priced them out the price actually came in higher on the lariat. I went with the platinum cuz I liked the new grille and all black on the new style seemed a little too much for me. The new one has just the right amount of chrome upfront I thought. I do want the black headlights though. Then there was The tailgate applique which I didn’t want but now I like it. Biggest thing for me was I liked the aluminum on the inside and supposedly with same options I’ve been told the Platinum would have a higher book value for same condition.
I have a a Sport/Ultimate Lariat in velocity blue which can be a blinding color in the sun. I love all the blacked out stuff, especially the grill/headlights. Never been a fan of matte black wheels but they work on this truck. When I was showing wifey method wheels, she commented: Thats alot of Blue and Black......so I got a Machined faced Method NV to break up all that Blue and Black. As far as options....all but moonroof, cab heater, steering/cruise. Sticker 80, paid 76 in January......I am very Happy!

For me it came down to $50 a month over 5 years for the massaging seats. Where I thought I would enjoy them, I didn't think I'd enjoy them THAT much to pump my payment up... Plus in the end my son convinced me that the blackout package would make the truck that much sweeter looking (never seen one locally around me - all the trucks around here are chromed out to the hilt pretty much)

Yup! They lost money on this guy. I would have gone with the platinum for the interior if I could have optioned it blacked out and with that terrible shiny tailgate monstrosity either in black or deleted.
agreed!!! Makes no sense for that not to be an option. I am in the same boat. My last platinum I had to have all that chrome stuff painted. It would be so much easier if we could just order from the factory.

Is it true that Platinums have different glass to reduce road noise?
I was scrolling through looking to see if anyone answered this question, and apparently not. I have a '21 Platinum and my windshield has a "SoundScreen" logo on the bottom. I've been wondering what that was. Maybe that's the upgraded glass? I haven't driven any other trim levels to compare it against.

I was scrolling through looking to see if anyone answered this question, and apparently not. I have a '21 Platinum and my windshield has a "SoundScreen" logo on the bottom. I've been wondering what that was. Maybe that's the upgraded glass? I haven't driven any other trim levels to compare it against.

My '21 Lariat has the SoundScreen logo on the windshield.

Latest Discussions

Back