Juggernaut, Talon, or Asfir skid plate?

Depends on whether you prioritize full underbody coverage, ease of maintenance, or specific protection like catalytic converter/DPF theft deterrence.

1. Juggernaut USA

Juggernaut is often the go-to for "set it and forget it" protection. They specialize in a clean, powder-coated look that matches high-end builds.

Pros:
Maintenance Friendly: Includes a removable oil drain access panel, which is a massive win for DIY oil changes on the 6.7L Powerstroke.
Material: 1/4" aluminum offers a great balance of strength without the massive weight penalty of steel (approx. 34 lbs).

Aesthetics: Comes standard with a black powder coat, saving you the hassle of painting or bed-lining them to match your blacked-out theme.

Cons:
Price: Typically sits at a premium point compared to raw aluminum options.

Availability: Can sometimes have longer lead times depending on production cycles in Denver.

2. Talon’s Garage (Forum member and vendor @Talon2006)

Straight outta Texas, Talon’s is highly regarded in the Ford community specifically for theft prevention and modularity.

Pros:
DPF/Cat Protection: They offer specific shields that integrate with the transmission skid to protect against "cut-and-run" thefts, which is a major concern for Super Duty owners.

Hardware Security: Offers optional security bolts (pentagonal) to make it harder for anyone to remove the plates.

Build Quality: Known for extremely precise CNC fitment and thick 1/4" 5052 aluminum.

Cons:
Finish: Not really a con but most plates ship as bare aluminum. If you prefer "all-black vibe," you would need to spend extra time or money on powder coating or bed-liner.

Access: While they have ports, some users find them slightly less convenient than the Juggernaut "trap door" design for mess-free oil changes.

3. ASFIR 4x4

ASFIR 4x4 is an international brand known for "military-grade" engineering, often featuring unique stiffening ribs made in Israel.

Pros:
Advanced Engineering: Their plates often include stiffening ribs pressed into the aluminum, which adds structural rigidity without increasing thickness or weight.

Venting: Excellent airflow design. They are very conscious of heat management, which is vital for a hard-working diesel engine.
Specific Components: They offer a high-quality steering rod skid plate that is specifically tested on Tremor models.

Cons:
Repairability: Some users have reported that while the aluminum is tough, the welds can be a weak point under "extreme" rock crawling (though usually fine for overlanding).

Hardware: Sometimes uses a mix of metric/standard or factory studs that can make the initial "fishing" of bolts a bit more tedious than the US-based competitors.


Primary Material

Juggernaut: 1/4" Aluminum
Talon's Garage: 1/4" Aluminum
ASFIR 4x4: 1/4" Aluminum

Best For

Juggernaut: Maintenance & Finish
Talon's Garage: Theft Protection
ASFIR 4x4: Heat Management

Finish

Juggernaut: Black Powder
Talon's Garage: Coat Bare Metal (usually)
ASFIR 4x4: Silver/Raw

Oil Change

Juggernaut: Removable Panel
Talon's Garage: Access Port
ASFIR 4x4: Access Port

Weight

Juggernaut: ~34 lbs (Engine)
Talon's Garage: ~35-40 lbs
ASFIR 4x4 ~31 lbs

As far as price is concerned, they range anywhere from $400-$549 with Juggernaut being on the high end and ASFIR 4x4 on the low end.

There's also a company in Canada called PDM - Precision Design and Manufacturing that is also worth considering. $695 for both the engine and transmission:


Hope this helps. Autobots, roll out!
For consideration:

RCI Skid Plate: https://rcimetalworks.com/brand/rci...ine-transmission-skid-plate-20-f-250-350-450/

I used RCI for my Toyota Sequoia - no complaints and took a beating.
 
I have the Talon plate and run the PPE transmission pan. It has been great and was really the only solution early on. The other two brands being considered are newer on the market and also seem well made. I'd recommend the Talon plate because it is well made, has years of positive forum member experience and Shaun has been an active member of our community. That said, any solution you decide is not a bad choice.
 
Any one installed the Asfir skid plates?
Looking for a YouTube video or some detailed instructions. Really don’t get instructions in the box with the kit.
I am impressed at how thick the aluminum is and was very surprised at how heavy they are.
I will tackle it tomorrow with the limited info I have if there is nothing more out there for install info.
 
Another one not mentioned is Dethloff mfg they make a steel version that looks stout.
 
Any one installed the Asfir skid plates?
Looking for a YouTube video or some detailed instructions. Really don’t get instructions in the box with the kit.
I am impressed at how thick the aluminum is and was very surprised at how heavy they are.
I will tackle it tomorrow with the limited info I have if there is nothing more out there for install info.
As stoopid as this might sound, this is the first time I have heard of ASFIR and they are local. In fact, they're about 15 minutes from me.

The downside I do see is that they use aluminum plates reason for them being a lot lighter than traditional steel. I wonder how they can muster with the weight of our rig's?

Another one not mentioned is Dethloff mfg they make a steel version that looks stout.
He is new(er) to the SD lineup and just released this stout plate.

This is a no brainer for ruggedness and will take anything you throw at it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this plate weights 75 lbs based on the solid construction.
 
Talon or Juggernaut were leading the way for me. But I really like Dethloff's foray into the field. My pocket book thanks me I haven't dropped for any of them yet.

Ideally, I'd like to see someone tackle a fuel skid for the S&B or Titan tanks, that incorporates a shielding in for the added drop of the tank, that 1.5" or so that the tank hangs lower the OEM gives lots of side access.
 
Back
Top Bottom