Full Screen CarPlay is here for Sync4 in my SD!

The parking brake and headlight switch thing sounds more like a wivestale equivalent to asking someone for headlight fluid or a left-handed smokeshifter.

Whatever they’re smoking over there in Dearborn, other than industrial fallout, must be the good stuff.
Indeed, totally agree! "Hold your tongue right, move the rabbit ears to the left a little more... that's it... hold... now you will get the update!" LOL Like looking in the mirror and saying to yourself, "You're not crazy, you are!" back and forth. :)

Talked to OTA they said to do this:
1. Parking brake on
2. Ignition off, all doors and everything else closed
3. Advised having analytics on, wasn't sure if it made a difference
4. Set scheduled updates anytime other than 12am advised a time where you wouldn't drive it, guess it can come in the dark of night and update itself while you sleep I thought you'd have to turn it on to finish or something.
5. Headlights off--not in auto
then if no results in two weeks go to the dealer.
Gonna give this a shot. 🤞🤞

I agree. Sounds like something they just say to get someone off the phone faster. They picked something that absolutely no one does so they couldnt be proven wrong (headlights to off).
I asked what the parking break or headlights did. If there was some electrical signal or something. She didn't know that's just what the engineers say for "troubleshooting". They talk to the customers so the engineers don't have to and so we don't figure out the engineers don't know anything either and to get you off the phone and drive you to the dealer who doesn't know anything either but can charge whatever they want. It's a good system.

They talk to the customers so the engineers don't have to..
fJmWbtV.gif

I need to hold my breath too?? ;)😄
I think they are feeding a wild guess... Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF) just ensure that you are connected to high-speed Wi-Fi at home and just wait. These are very large files (understand around 5 gigs). When you see the update icon... just let it go... don't mess with it and keep on keeping on. It means it is downloading (albeit "in part")... don't do anything to interrupt it. Until you see the update icon with the check mark just leave it be. It's like a lottery on who gets it and when. It is being rolled out and as far as I can tell it began like end of February. Here it is end of April and I just received it. I would certainly roll-back the Nav in Motion portion (if you did make that change). You will get the KIP Error when the update comes. Your navigation label names will all be garbage (i.e. KIPCommonnametitle). I received the total update in two increments in two days. 3.5.3 the first day and then 3.5.4 the second day. Had to roll my Nav in Motion back to stock when .3 came in. Lost the 75th Anny splash screen when .4 came in. Now that I have both I will attempt to roll back to Nav in Motion and back to the 75th Anny Splash screen. Doubt that Nav in Motion will work (liability issue for Ford) but the 75th Splash should definitely work.

I’ve had the update icon glitch for a while with the blank detail screen. Decided to turn off automatic updates, the next time the icon popped up, I clicked it and now detail screen is no longer blank and tells me 3.5.3 update is pending with all the rest of the info. Just gonna leave it be for a while and see if anything happens.

Ok, on the edge of buying the dongle just to avoid the dealership, but giving a dealership another shot at it. First time was at the dealership I purchased the truck from and they didn't do anything meaningful.

This time I'm going to the dealership I always took my old truck to for servicing, and generally liked their service department. Somehow got an appointment for next Friday, so fingers crossed they do something useful!

Ok, on the edge of buying the dongle just to avoid the dealership, but giving a dealership another shot at it. First time was at the dealership I purchased the truck from and they didn't do anything meaningful.

This time I'm going to the dealership I always took my old truck to for servicing, and generally liked their service department. Somehow got an appointment for next Friday, so fingers crossed they do something useful!
I have an appt for tomorrow morning, 8AM mountain. 🤞

Got mine! Had my 2022 KR in for service earlier this week and asked the dealer if they would check for the SYNC4 update that gives full screen capability and download if it’s available. It was and they did. They mentioned it was 5gb+ and took them a while, including downloading to a flash drive and then connecting to the truck.

A new button pops up in the top left corner, just above the battery and signal strength indicators with the two “expand screen” arrows pointing at opposite directions.
Note, they did have to reload my TCU which may have inhibited my OTA receipt.

But, it’s here and pretty cool. Actually, it’ll take some getting used to as it’s quite big!

Good luck! No need to do anything drastic to your system!
I took my truck in for oil change and regular service. I asked my service guy if he could check for any modules that needed updating. I'm tired of my radio coming on at random times and the part one of the power update loaded back in January but no part two. Took three hours for the dealership to download it from the Ford mothership. Nice to have a full screen apple play but more so I am hoping for the radio gremlins to be gone.

I read a little tidbit on reddit regarding F150 OTAs that someone may want to try. here is what the guy was told to do by ford, and he said it worked instantly.

Drive truck for 30 mins
Park truck
set parking brake
turn off headlights
schedule your automatic update for 15 mins from the time you parked it(if you parked at 6PM set it for 615PM that same day)
leave truck alone

he said about 45 mins later he got a fordpass notification that it updated. He had been trying for 6 months to get it updated. others had said this worked for them also.

Very interesting. As someone who's occupation deals with high risk scenarios daily, I can think of many ways this could go bad from a liability standpoint.
If you're referring to this Mongoose cable renting program these guys have come up with, I agree. The thought of something going awry while using the cable I purchased and also having to inevitably answer questions and hold the person's hand to walk them through the process (not trying to be a d*ck just don't have the time) deters me from said program and also keeping track of where the cable is doesn't sound fun.

My initial plan was to buy cable (from Amazon) do my updates and then return it (after wife threw a fit about a $500+ cable) but now I'm thinking I'll just keep it and check for updates once or twice a year. My dealer said $150 just to hook up the cable for updates and then there's the pain of finding time for the appointment/drop off/pick up etc.

I read a little tidbit on reddit regarding F150 OTAs that someone may want to try. here is what the guy was told to do by ford, and he said it worked instantly.

Drive truck for 30 mins
Park truck
set parking brake
turn off headlights
schedule your automatic update for 15 mins from the time you parked it(if you parked at 6PM set it for 615PM that same day)
leave truck alone

he said about 45 mins later he got a fordpass notification that it updated. He had been trying for 6 months to get it updated. others had said this worked for them also.
Do you know if the truck had an update waiting already and it just wasn’t installing? Or did the truck not have an update waiting at all?

I’m in the latter situation, FWIW.

If you're referring to this Mongoose cable renting program these guys have come up with, I agree. The thought of something going awry while using the cable I purchased and also having to inevitably answer questions and hold the person's hand to walk them through the process (not trying to be a d*ck just don't have the time) deters me from said program and also keeping track of where the cable is doesn't sound fun.

My initial plan was to buy cable (from Amazon) do my updates and then return it (after wife threw a fit about a $500+ cable) but now I'm thinking I'll just keep it and check for updates once or twice a year. My dealer said $150 just to hook up the cable for updates and then there's the pain of finding time for the appointment/drop off/pick up etc.
I was imaging a system more like tool rentals at the parts stores: you’re on your own with how to use it, the store just provides it. No support included.

But ya, fair enough on it being a PITA.

That price quote is insane if the truck is still in warranty. Out of warranty more understandable.

Do you know if the truck had an update waiting already and it just wasn’t installing? Or did the truck not have an update waiting at all?

I’m in the latter situation, FWIW.
his was a 21 F150 that had never received an update, not sure if he had one waiting or not.

Reactions: ccw

I could borrow my friends mongoose and do a write up, then you could use it for renting the cable out. I would tell every single person youre on your own(similar to forscan), and that you dont have time to play tech support. FDRS is pretty easy to use. I would have to get someone local to me that wants the update so I could use their truck, my truck is currently up to date.

I could borrow my friends mongoose and do a write up, then you could use it for renting the cable out. I would tell every single person youre on your own(similar to forscan), and that you dont have time to play tech support. FDRS is pretty easy to use. I would have to get someone local to me that wants the update so I could use their truck, my truck is currently up to date.
Would a few cases of beer and some whisky make me count as local? :ROFLMAO:

Back