Current gas prices ⛽

Last night, paid $8.29 for R99 (Valencia, CA) for what was hopefully the last tank of diesel I’ll be buying in this state for a while.

Checking average prices between here and Austin though, and the trip back East is gonna be brutal! Basically breaking even with what it used to cost driving the ‘21 gasser
I live in Valencia and a lot of us diesel guys go to the pilot location in Castaic. As of this morning it was $7.99. We also use SCV fuels. Both places are for big rigs and allow trucks to fill up there.

That R99 that Shell and 76 sells is pure crap and fills up the DPF in no time. Make sure you double up on your fuel additive for that tank. the lubricity is horrible. They get it from the same place. I got it once and my DPF went from 0-50% in under 40 miles. I had a heavy foot and burned that tank out as fast as I could.

CA doesn't make diesel anymore and they don't import from other states. Our Diesel literally comes from the Middle East and Singapore.

Pilot uses Dino diesel and not a mix of poor fuel mixed with poor bio.

IMG_1418.webp
 
That R99 that Shell and 76 sells is pure crap and fills up the DPF in no time. Make sure you double up on your fuel additive for that tank. the lubricity is horrible. They get it from the same place. I got it once and my DPF went from 0-50% in under 40 miles. I had a heavy foot and burned that tank out as fast as I could.
Yeah… that hasn’t been my experience at all, not even remotely. Not sure if it makes a difference but I buy R99 from any one of the handful of Arco stations around the city.

Truck runs noticeable quieter, especially when it’s cold (which makes sense as R99 typically has a cetane rating in the low 70’s vs mid/high 40’s for #2. ), I commute down to Sylmar and back every day mixed with a handful of short trips around the city on weekends and DPF never gets over 40% in the ~500miles between regents, in 26k miles I have yet to have the truck go into regen due to DPF % always hit the 500mile mark first(basically identical to what I see running #2). Last two fuel filter changes, and water separator drains every 2-3k miles have been spotless. I still run additive because I’m paranoid but all published research on R9x derivatives of diesel is that they’re generally better in every metric other than energy density than regular #2 (higher cetane, higher lubricity, cleaner/less subject to contamination etc etc etc)… price has been one of the added benefits recently of course.

YMMV I guess? 🤷‍♂️
 
Yeah… that hasn’t been my experience at all, not even remotely. Not sure if it makes a difference but I buy R99 from any one of the handful of Arco stations around the city.

Truck runs noticeable quieter, especially when it’s cold (which makes sense as R99 typically has a cetane rating in the low 70’s vs mid/high 40’s for #2. ), I commute down to Sylmar and back every day mixed with a handful of short trips around the city on weekends and DPF never gets over 40% in the ~500miles between regents, in 26k miles I have yet to have the truck go into regen due to DPF % always hit the 500mile mark first(basically identical to what I see running #2). Last two fuel filter changes, and water separator drains every 2-3k miles have been spotless. I still run additive because I’m paranoid but all published research on R9x derivatives of diesel is that they’re generally better in every metric other than energy density than regular #2 (higher cetane, higher lubricity, cleaner/less subject to contamination etc etc etc)… price has been one of the added benefits recently of course.

YMMV I guess? 🤷‍♂️
I got fuel at the Shell on Valencia and McBean the last time I got R99. Could have been a bad batch or w/e but I never went back.

YMMV I guess indeed.
 
Back
Top Bottom