23 SD Platty longbed @ Philly Auto

My next observation is on the quality of bed steps. On a 1/2 year at most, nearly new truck, the finish is gone at the side step edge. The plastic ends are not seating flush with body. See for yourself.

In comparison, i walked over to GMC and looked at the detail of their step. Perfect finish, perfect grip. (See attached photos) Embarrassing for Ford, really.

Functionality wise, as others have pointed out, the step is sitting too high. Im over 6 feet and stepping on and off wasn’t as comfortable as using my 2022 AMP steps, which on their own are perfect match for our height tremors.

damn and i thought there were things that could be better on my 22 lol this is pretty terrible

One would have thought Ford would have put out their best stuff for show-n-tell.

Can't imagine when this starts to get slapped together for order builds.

One would have thought Ford would have put out their best stuff for show-n-tell.

Can't imagine when this starts to get slapped together for order builds.
Exactly. Pre production units are seen on the roads, tested by Ford. This was at one of the largest auto shows in the country.

Exactly. Pre production units are seen on the roads, tested by Ford. This was at one of the largest auto shows in the country.
I attend multiple car shows around the country and automakers routinely showcase pre-production units on display. They're usually locked as they don't want you touching a poorly put together interior. Most times there's a small label stating it's a pre-production but not always.

I attend multiple car shows around the country and automakers routinely showcase pre-production units on display. They're usually locked as they don't want you touching a poorly put together interior. Most times there's a small label stating it's a pre-production but not always.
There were no labels of any kind on the truck, no one to ask even. I hope you’re right and a production (delivered) units have better fit/quality components.

There were no labels of any kind on the truck, no one to ask even. I hope you’re right and a production (delivered) units have better fit/quality components.

Were you allowed to sit in the cab?

Negative. All 2023s at auto shows that ive seen so far had cabs locked.

If they haven’t, its possible my list of quality/fit gripes would have been twice as long😂

Bummer but not totally surprised. I’m gonna head over sometime this week to check it out in person though.

At the Texas State Fair they had a 23 Tremor there that was also a pre-production unit. The Ford rep opened up the truck for us so we could lean-in and look around (but weren't allowed to actually get into the truck). She locked it up pretty quickly when other people walked over to look. I think she only let us look because I had told her I was ordering one when the order banks opened. You could tell it was a pre-production unit as the interior wasn't fully complete, but complete enough to get a good sense of the final product.

We didn't note the exterior fit and finish items that @Alpoba saw on the unit he evaluated, but didn't have the time to give it as thorough of an exam.

Is it me or is the "Platinum" lettering you showed us pretty crappy?
It was ok to my eye. Light reflections might make it seem crappy with its shiny finish. One thing interesting though, this Philly Platinum still had a chrome tailgate handle whereas all other lariats i saw on photos were all color matched. I was like not again, i would have to plasti dip this if i got a platty😂

Bummer but not totally surprised. I’m gonna head over sometime this week to check it out in person though.
You should. As i said above, I actually thought it looked better in person than it does on photos.

To put it another way, had i a choice of near identical 22 and 23 builds, i would take the 23 without much debating. Even with that grill, those headlights and those half ass side steps, my vote is for new gen. Even with the fact that i like 22 front end better than the 23. Still…

Attachments

• EC59C0B2-0069-4B47-801E-B49F63406CA5.png
    EC59C0B2-0069-4B47-801E-B49F63406CA5.png
    965.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 176FA231-8607-4E31-A761-1801E4E7A77D.jpeg
    176FA231-8607-4E31-A761-1801E4E7A77D.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 57
It definitely looks better in person. I didn’t go crazy looking for imperfections but I think overall it’s starting to grow on me more. The biggest thing that bothered me which was mentioned earlier, was the finish on the side bed step. It was weathered, faded and looked very disappointing compared to the GM ones. At least those had a real grippy surface as opposed to just some lines in molded plastic.

Even parked close to a 2022 XLT Supercab, it felt massive.

A2A41DAD-B92E-4B31-9348-0E7127907156.jpeg

65D3DC29-F11E-4E53-A013-DD4F9AF1D10D.jpeg

C069C8CF-BC8F-423B-B872-B77723F4999F.jpeg

Last edited:
The wrong tread direction on the bed side steps is embarrassing. The bumper ones are correct.

Here’s a F450 King Ranch that was at the Houston Auto Show. Sorry it’s the only one I took 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 4BFDE03A-F197-4DB6-8131-FCC4148B8834.jpeg
    4BFDE03A-F197-4DB6-8131-FCC4148B8834.jpeg
    463.5 KB · Views: 52
Something about the 23's front end hasn't sat well with me and your pic finally made me put my finger on it! It reminds me of a Hippo!! Now that I see it I can't unsee it lol.

I will definitely be keeping my 22 and will forever call the 23+ Gen a Hippo 

Attachments

• istockphoto-1282618356-612x612.jpg
    istockphoto-1282618356-612x612.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 14
Back