1st oil change

Did my first at 1500 or 2000 miles. Did the next at 7500. After the initial oil change, I usually change it when the oil life meter gets to 25%.
Funny cause this is my first vehicle with the oil life meter. Can't wait to see what it has to say about my customary 5K mile oil change interval. I'm guessing I err on the safe side, but curious. Probably won't change my habits though.
 
Don't mean to turn this into an oil or filter discussion, but anyone wanting to use top notch filters should consider Wix brand filters. They make more oil filters for every industry in the world than any other company. I'm talking excavation, farm, mining, railroad, industrial and even lite vehicles like cars, trucks and even motorcycles. I've used them for years and they don't cost that much more than OEM, especially if you buy in bulk. These are the "XP" (heavy service) versions. Same number without the XP suffix for standard duty. Check out Wix web site for a wealth of knowledge about oil filtration.
Rock Auto has about the best prices, but you can get them locally if you like.
7.3 - https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=1863419
1618976858242.webp
6.7 - https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=2011327
1618976994291.webp
 
I grew up in a little neighborhood in Indiana where everybody knew everyone like family. Two houses west our neighbor owned his own service station, back when they actually serviced cars. I used to go over there at a pretty young age and just watch him work on engines and transmissions at his house on his "free time" I literally grew up smelling fuel, oil, axil grease, acetylene and all the rest of those shop smells. Those were different times, and that may be what ultimately does me in but I wouldn't trade my life experiences for anything. It made me who I am today, machinist, fabricator, sheet metal worker, certified welder and CAD draftsman. When I smell hydrocarbons I smell power and productivity! :p??
Sir, you just described my childhood. Grew up next to a gas station and work shop around the block, let alone anyone’s driveway or garage. I was always trying to get greasy and dirty. Not a machinist, welder, or CAD draftsman (I WISH), just a garage junkie. Your level of skills speaks volumes. Thanks again, your story brought back so many memories.
 
I grew up in a little neighborhood in Indiana where everybody knew everyone like family. Two houses west our neighbor owned his own service station, back when they actually serviced cars. I used to go over there at a pretty young age and just watch him work on engines and transmissions at his house on his "free time" I literally grew up smelling fuel, oil, axil grease, acetylene and all the rest of those shop smells. Those were different times, and that may be what ultimately does me in but I wouldn't trade my life experiences for anything. It made me who I am today, machinist, fabricator, sheet metal worker, certified welder and CAD draftsman. When I smell hydrocarbons I smell power and productivity! :p??
Amen
 
I hear you...

I like to change my own oil and I like to clean my own guns...

Drink a beer, relax, and maintain my tools... That's my therapy...
You and I could hang out.
 
Don't mean to turn this into an oil or filter discussion, but anyone wanting to use top notch filters should consider Wix brand filters. They make more oil filters for every industry in the world than any other company. I'm talking excavation, farm, mining, railroad, industrial and even lite vehicles like cars, trucks and even motorcycles. I've used them for years and they don't cost that much more than OEM, especially if you buy in bulk. These are the "XP" (heavy service) versions. Same number without the XP suffix for standard duty. Check out Wix web site for a wealth of knowledge about oil filtration.
Rock Auto has about the best prices, but you can get them locally if you like.
7.3 - https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=1863419View attachment 22695 6.7 - https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=2011327View attachment 22696
Wix is not the only thing out there....
(Full disclosure, I use Wix in my Audi)
For diesels, Fleetguard stratopore or Amsoil are great.
 
Wix is not the only thing out there....
(Full disclosure, I use Wix in my Audi)
For diesels, Fleetguard stratopore or Amsoil are great.
Totally agree, just sayin' if it uses oil, Wix makes a high quality filter for it and they are easy to find at reasonable prices.
 
Don't mean to turn this into an oil or filter discussion, but anyone wanting to use top notch filters should consider Wix brand filters. They make more oil filters for every industry in the world than any other company. I'm talking excavation, farm, mining, railroad, industrial and even lite vehicles like cars, trucks and even motorcycles. I've used them for years and they don't cost that much more than OEM, especially if you buy in bulk. These are the "XP" (heavy service) versions. Same number without the XP suffix for standard duty. Check out Wix web site for a wealth of knowledge about oil filtration.
Rock Auto has about the best prices, but you can get them locally if you like.
7.3 - https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=1863419View attachment 22695 6.7 - https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=2011327View attachment 22696
Why are these filters better than the Ford recommended Motorcraft part?
 
Why are these filters better than the Ford recommended Motorcraft part?
Actually motorcraft filters rate at the top by product rating services. But Wix invented the cartridge filter system back the WW2 days and they always were the standard for industry over the years. There are a lot of knock off filters that use substandard materials and construction methods. Obviously you won't go wrong with motorcraft but for the price Wix is top of the line.

Cool thing about Wix is you can look up any filter and they share the design specifications if you are interested in that stuff. Not all filters are built to the same specs.
 
Last edited:
I just did mine today:

4,316 miles
137 engine hours
32 idle hours
Rotella T6 5w40
Motorcraft Filter

It took 13.5qts to get to the full line; my 2017 only took 13qts

I only got about 12qts out of it taking in to account what was left in the filter.

Ford probably only put 12qts in it to add to the list of things they skimp on...
 
Couldn't sleep last night so I decided to go out to the shop and do my first oil change on the 7.3. The truck has 2200 miles on it, mostly easy driving with a mix of city and highway. The engine monitor said I still had 88% left. That's a novelty to me at this point. I'll be doing 5K mile changes. Easy to remember and if I happen to go long for some reason I have a substantial margin of safety.

The oil was still somewhat translucent when I was watching it drain. Still with this being the break in change I didn't expect it to look too bad at this point.

The filter is in the perfect position on this engine. Like any filter, when you loosen it plenty of oil runs out and down the sides of the filter, but this one hangs vertically to the side of the pan and no oil gets on engine parts, just drains into the pan. Also, unlike Ford's 5.4 engine, the filter is easy to loosen with an oil filter cap wrench that fits my 3/8" socket wrench with a shorty extension.
1622062148857.png


Note: This has rarely happened to me but pay attention to the filter gasket as you remove the filter. The factory must have installed the filter with a dry gasket as it was stuck to the flange on the engine when I removed the filter. This can be a real problem going down the road if you inadvertently double up gaskets when installing the new filter.

This was a very clean process overall. The oil does come out with some force when the plug is removed and does shoot out sideways because of the side mounted drain plug, so it's good to have a large pan and a couple rags for any splashing. This will get fixed with my next oil change when I add a Femco oil change valve.

1622061715575.png


I knew from previous posts that the oil fill is in a tight spot kind of down in the engine compartment. I decided a couple weeks ago to purchase a funnel that would make the oil fill much easier and cleaner. This funnel is large and the curved spout fits perfectly into the oil fill port. I did have to cut about an inch off the spout to make it work a little better.
1622060974829.png


I chose Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W30 full synthetic for my change. Shell Rotella is top notch for heavy duty engines so I figure I can't go wrong. I figure the full syn. may improve my mileage a tad as well.

I used the Wix XP filter for the 7.3. They are pioneers in oil filtration and are actually contracted to manufacture many OEM filters. They are inexpensive on line in bulk and the same OEM filter wrench fits the Wix canister.

1622061359462.png


I know a lot of us would prefer letting a shop take care of the messy work and that's fine. I like getting up close with my vehicles so I have a good feel for how she's holding up and performing. It makes ownership more personal for me. I also have many great memories that involve working on vehicles with my dad, grandpa and other good friends that are gone now. I'm at that stage where the view in the rear view is more clearly focused than the view ahead. ? :cool:

Edit: BTW it did require about 8.5 quarts to bring it up to the full mark. Measured on a level surface after a short test drive and 5 minutes for oil to drain down after shutting down.
 

Attachments

  • 1622061198050.webp
    1622061198050.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Couldn't sleep last night so I decided to go out to the shop and do my first oil change on the 7.3. The truck has 2200 miles on it, mostly easy driving with a mix of city and highway. The engine monitor said I still had 88% left. That's a novelty to me at this point. I'll be doing 5K mile changes. Easy to remember and if I happen to go long for some reason I have a substantial margin of safety.

The oil was still somewhat translucent when I was watching it drain. Still with this being the break in change I didn't expect it to look too bad at this point.

The filter is in the perfect position on this engine. Like any filter, when you loosen it plenty of oil runs out and down the sides of the filter, but this one hangs vertically to the side of the pan and no oil gets on engine parts, just drains into the pan. Also, unlike Ford's 5.4 engine, the filter is easy to loosen with an oil filter cap wrench that fits my 3/8" socket wrench with a shorty extension.View attachment 24737

Note: This has rarely happened to me but pay attention to the filter gasket as you remove the filter. The factory must have installed the filter with a dry gasket as it was stuck to the flange on the engine when I removed the filter. This can be a real problem going down the road if you inadvertently double up gaskets when installing the new filter.

This was a very clean process overall. The oil does come out with some force when the plug is removed and does shoot out sideways because of the side mounted drain plug, so it's good to have a large pan and a couple rags for any splashing. This will get fixed with my next oil change when I add a Femco oil change valve.

View attachment 24736

I knew from previous posts that the oil fill is in a tight spot kind of down in the engine compartment. I decided a couple weeks ago to purchase a funnel that would make the oil fill much easier and cleaner. This funnel is large and the curved spout fits perfectly into the oil fill port. I did have to cut about an inch off the spout to make it work a little better.
View attachment 24732

I chose Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W30 full synthetic for my change. Shell Rotella is top notch for heavy duty engines so I figure I can't go wrong. I figure the full syn. may improve my mileage a tad as well.

I used the Wix XP filter for the 7.3. They are pioneers in oil filtration and are actually contracted to manufacture many OEM filters. They are inexpensive on line in bulk and the same OEM filter wrench fits the Wix canister.

View attachment 24735

I know a lot of us would prefer letting a shop take care of the messy work and that's fine. I like getting up close with my vehicles so I have a good feel for how she's holding up and performing. It makes ownership more personal for me. I also have many great memories that involve working on vehicles with my dad, grandpa and other good friends that are gone now. I'm at that stage where the view in the rear view is more clearly focused than the view ahead. ? :cool:

Edit: BTW it did require about 8.5 quarts to bring it up to the full mark. Measured on a level surface after a short test drive and 5 minutes for oil to drain down after shutting down.
Nothing I do anymore is as fulfilling as tinkering on the truck.
 
Had the same old gasket stuck on my last oil change on my 2020 6.7 at 10000 (dealer did first one at 5000). Luckily had my mechanic father-in-law with me who has seen that happen before in the newer Ford diesels, otherwise I would have driven away while losing oil.
Used Motorcraft filter and 5w-40 synthetic.
 
I worked in a Tire/Lube shop when I was in high school. ALWAYS check to make sure the old filter gasket comes off and ALWAYS put a film of FRESH oil on the new gasket. It is amazing how fast the truck can pump all your new oil on the ground if you accidentally "double gasket" the filter. Anyone one who has done a lot of oil changes knows the gaskets stick on the housing quite often.

Side note from my oil change, After changing to 5w40 T6, I am seeing a 0.5 mpg gain in my average fuel economy. Prior to the oil change it had settled in to about 16.9 and it is now settling in around 17.5 (it still seems to be climbing). I'm at 5,000 miles now.
 
Back
Top Bottom