1st oil change

Thanks for the write up. I’m a first time 6.7 owner and I noticed the cap has 2 oil types on it. What would be best? (I’m sure I could google this but it’s more fun here to learn)
 
Thanks for the write up. I’m a first time 6.7 owner and I noticed the cap has 2 oil types on it. What would be best? (I’m sure I could google this but it’s more fun here to learn)
10w30 & 5w40.
10w30 in the manuals for stabdard service. 5w40 for extreme service intervals.
 
Thanks for the write up. I’m a first time 6.7 owner and I noticed the cap has 2 oil types on it. What would be best? (I’m sure I could google this but it’s more fun here to learn)

Man you dug up an old thread. What @NEOHIO said, but I'll add that 5w40 covers a wider temperature range and is recommended if you use B20 diesel. Also, try not to use B20 diesel.


 
I've always done the first at 1500 miles. Then at 5k miles, and every 5k after that. I use Rotella T6 5w-40 on my '22, but on my new one I''ll be using Triax FS 5w-40 with a PPE filter. I'm only at 700 miles on my '26.
 
10W30 is only recommended for light duty. You will get better fuel mileage but you should not tow.

5W40 and 15W40 are completely intetchangeable. The primary difference is cold start performance. I have run 15W40 year round in Arizona, but will switch to 5W40 at my next oil change. 15W40 is going to have better drain back resistance particularly in the summer.
 
Thanks for the write up. I’m a first time 6.7 owner and I noticed the cap has 2 oil types on it. What would be best? (I’m sure I could google this but it’s more fun here to learn)
If you don’t tow, or tow lightly (under 5000), the 10w30 will serve you well. Even heavier towing for short distances. Like a trailer you only use for the dump and mulch runs. If you tow heavier, go 5w40. Unless you never see below freezing. Then I’d recommend 15w40 because the cold start need for 5w isn’t a thing.
Personally, 5w40 because we see 0* freedom units to 105*f. The 5w covers all of that.
 
Back
Top Bottom