1st oil change

STROKINTREMOR

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F-350 Tremor 6.7 Star white
When did you guys change your oil for the first time? I heard something about doing the first one sooner then you usually would?
Thanks

Haven't done mine yet, only 750 miles, but I've always performed my first oil change on most vehicles at about half the normal interval. I really don't know that it's necessary but that's been my practice. After that I usually do 5000 mile intervals. My driving is not harsh and that interval makes it easy to know when the next service is due.

Last edited:
I did it at 6K. I had intended to do it at 5K, but it didnt work out. I have the maintenance plan and it covers doing its every 5k, but manual says 6K and so I am just running with it per the manual now.

I take our vehicles in twice a year for service. It usually takes me over a year to put 5,000 miles on my trucks. My wife got a new car for Christmas, poor thing turned 1900 miles yesterday. Every week, I'll take our little dog Harvey for a ride in her car. On our way home we always stop and get it all cleaned up. I don't know what they clean .. but, mamas car is always shinny and thats all that matters. Retirement is such a wonderful thing ..

I guess 75 miles is a little early? ?

We have a 1500 mile trip with the TT planned in 3 weeks so I need to get my 1000 in. I was thinking of doing the first change then but am leaning towards doing it after the trip at about 2500.

I drove it for just over 1,000 miles no trailering. Did a full synthetic change and started to pull trailers. I will go 5,000 miles on the synthetic ( its rated for more, my self oil change is easy and not expensive). The dealers lube monkeys can kiss my rear end. Those lazy pricks can't even wipe the pan when they are finished. It's a huge PITA to go there for service. Plus they often tighten the oil filter so tight I need to get a big wrench and twist it off. I guess I am not a fan of a $7.00 per hour guy working on my $ 85,000 truck.

I drove it for just over 1,000 miles no trailering. Did a full synthetic change and started to pull trailers. I will go 5,000 miles on the synthetic ( its rated for more, my self oil change is easy and not expensive). The dealers lube monkeys can kiss my rear end. Those lazy pricks can't even wipe the pan when they are finished. It's a huge PITA to go there for service. Plus they often tighten the oil filter so tight I need to get a big wrench and twist it off. I guess I am not a fan of a $7.00 per hour guy working on my $ 85,000 truck.
My sentiments exactly. I took my previous truck in to the dealership quick-lane for oil changes when it was new and the oil change guy immediately cross threaded the drain plug and returned the truck with grease all over the steering wheel and door armrest. Never again. Besides, it's a good interval for me to get under the vehicle and give it a look over for anything that needs attention.

My sentiments exactly. I took my previous truck in to the dealership quick-lane for oil changes when it was new and the oil change guy immediately cross threaded the drain plug and returned the truck with grease all over the steering wheel and door armrest. Never again. Besides, it's a good interval for me to get under the vehicle and give it a look over for anything that needs attention.
to be fair there are good mechanics and bad ones. Just the nature of dealerships and the low amount of pay roll to the Lube Monkeys. They often attract workers who don't give a rats behind.

to be fair there are good mechanics and bad ones. Just the nature of dealerships and the low amount of pay roll to the Lube Monkeys. They often attract workers who don't give a rats behind.
I'd love to find a good guy to give that business to but it's such a roll of the dice. Plus I actually enjoy the task, kind of like therapy for me I guess. ;) ?

I take our vehicles in twice a year for service. It usually takes me over a year to put 5,000 miles on my trucks. My wife got a new car for Christmas, poor thing turned 1900 miles yesterday. Every week, I'll take our little dog Harvey for a ride in her car. On our way home we always stop and get it all cleaned up. I don't know what they clean .. but, mamas car is always shinny and thats all that matters. Retirement is such a wonderful thing ..
3 more years to get that retirement lifestyle....

I'd love to find a good guy to give that business to but it's such a roll of the dice. Plus I actually enjoy the task, kind of like therapy for me I guess. ;) ?
Same here I don't mine doing it. I got a Amsoil commercial account and get the product much cheaper now. I let the oil drain for hours, clean and wipe everything up. My service is done with love ( as I say ).

I hear you...

I like to change my own oil and I like to clean my own guns...

Drink a beer, relax, and maintain my tools... That's my therapy...

I’ll probably do mine at 2,500. I will switch to Rotella T6 5w40 and I always use a motorcraft filter. After the first one I’ll probably go to 7,500 mile interval unless the monitor say to do it sooner. Drain the water separator (WIF) too. Changing your oil and draining the WIF is the best way to keep tabs on your trucks health. Takes about 30 min and dont even have to jack the truck up. If I took it to the dealer it would be at least an hour and a half of my life I’ll never get back And I’d have no idea if anything else under my truck is in need of attention.

Intended to change mine at 1,500 but a road trip got in the way so just changed at ~2,900...easiest oil change ever. I used Motorcraft 10W30 mainly because I haven't yet decided which full synthetic to run. Would prefer to stick with Motorcraft (5W40) but since its ridiculously overpriced I'll probably go with Rotella T6. I know it's overkill, but plan to change at 5k intervals.

RedZilla loves the smell of hydrocarbons in the morning! Boo-Ya!
I grew up in a little neighborhood in Indiana where everybody knew everyone like family. Two houses west our neighbor owned his own service station, back when they actually serviced cars. I used to go over there at a pretty young age and just watch him work on engines and transmissions at his house on his "free time" I literally grew up smelling fuel, oil, axil grease, acetylene and all the rest of those shop smells. Those were different times, and that may be what ultimately does me in but I wouldn't trade my life experiences for anything. It made me who I am today, machinist, fabricator, sheet metal worker, certified welder and CAD draftsman. When I smell hydrocarbons I smell power and productivity! :p??

Back