Who runs "Actual" Winter Tires, ideally in a 34" to 35" size?

Wonder what everyone did before the 3PMS tires were around. I believe a good AT/winter tire is much better than nothing but driving according to conditions was always the winner to getting to a destination. Personally if I wanted studded tires I'd find a set of stock tires and get them studded. Changing twice a year is worth safety and not having to buy ulcer medication for the stomach discomfort driving across mountain passes.
 
Wonder what everyone did before the 3PMS tires were around. I believe a good AT/winter tire is much better than nothing but driving according to conditions was always the winner to getting to a destination. Personally if I wanted studded tires I'd find a set of stock tires and get them studded. Changing twice a year is worth safety and not having to buy ulcer medication for the stomach discomfort driving across mountain passes.
That’s exactly what I did this time. Duratracs used to be pinned for studs, but the newer ones aren’t apparently. My stock tires only had a few miles on them when I replaced them with 37’s for summer use. I had the stock tires drilled and studded. They’ll go back on the truck next week.
 
Reiterating my opinion from 2023 when this thread first appeared, I'm still partial to the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATs as a full time tire that happens to be great in snow and ice. Clearly there are many MT/AT type tires capable of moving through deep snow, but tires that perform well with wet snow and ice are rare, without going studded or dedicated winter only. I've found Mickey Thompsons are tough as nails and perform exceedingly well all around... mud, sand, rock, slush, snow, etc. They are impressively quite on the highway considering their aggressive deep tread. I've also found they wear pretty
1000025614.webp
well too.
 
Ran Cooper Discovery M&S studded mounted on spare wheels on the last 2 dually and put them on in November and took them off in March. Was an essential employee required to show up and they never let me down. Go to Colorado for Thanksgiving every year, they do good a highway speeds.
 
Ran Cooper Discovery M&S studded mounted on spare wheels on the last 2 dually and put them on in November and took them off in March. Was an essential employee required to show up and they never let me down. Go to Colorado for Thanksgiving every year, they do good a highway speeds.
I've been thinking about replacing the factory tires when they are done with Cooper AT tires. Never been into the 'it' tire to have on forums. Need something that does what it advertises it will. The coopers come with a 55k tread life and is much cheaper than the other top brands.
 
I’ll apologize in advance for the length of this story, but I’ve responded to car crashes for decades, and I see crappy tire advice all the time, so I feel strongly about this topic. The truth is, many or most tire criticisms are rooted in poorly trained drivers or poor decision-making. My own stupidity provides a good case on point, so I’m sharing it here.

Forty-plus years ago I had to drive from central Oregon to the valley on Christmas Eve. It was snowing and blowing so hard the passes were closed, so we were checking the ODOT recording (long before internet) every hour or so hoping for a window to get over the pass. Our window came in the early evening, so we left Bend for the pass.

The State Police had a check point, as only 4x4 vehicles were being allowed up the hill. I was driving a 3/4 ton truck with BFG ATs and I got waived through. (I later learned that the pass was closed again after I was allowed through, as the conditions quickly deteriorated again.)

It had been a heavy snow year, so the snow banks on either side of the road grew to over 8 feet tall near the top. It was snowing hard and blowing the snow off the banks into the road, so the drive was a full butt-pucker. The two ODOT plows working the pass on opposing routes couldn't keep up with the snowfall and wind. With a white road, white walls, and full blizzard with 20 mph winds it was extremely difficult to see where road stopped and the snow banks began. At times I slowed to only 10 mph, and ran with only parking lights and amber fog lights, as the headlights made the visibility worse. It was a long trip through the worst of it. Up top, my front license plate was dragging in the snow in the middle of the highway.

By the time I got down to about 1800’, the snow had turned to rain, so the road was clear, black, and wet. It was after midnight on Christmas Eve, so there was zero traffic. After two hours of white-knuckle driving and lots of coffee, I needed to pee, so I pulled over at a wide spot. When I stepped out of my truck my feet immediately slipped out from under me. I caught myself on the door and door sill.

As it turns out, the rain had been freezing on contact. My hood, radio antennae, and most surfaces of the truck were coated in a quarter-inch or more of ice. There were icicles hanging from the bottom of the mirrors, door, and bumper, but I hadn’t noticed any of this, because the windshield was clear, and I’d been so focused on seeing black pavement again.

I tried to walk around the truck while leaning on it with one hand, but I had zero traction, so I returned to the door jamb, lowered the window, and pissed while hanging on the door. When I got going again, I got up to about 10 mph and stomped to the brakes to check traction. I locked up and skidded for two or three seconds… The most amazing part of this experience is that I’d been driving on this pavement at speeds up to 50 mph for more than ten miles — because I had no idea it was solid ice. (Since that time I have seen conditions like this many times. On one such occasion I was working I-5 and we had dozens of crashes in one ten mile stretch of highway. After the sand-truck came through we started the traffic behind a slow-moving pace car, but the freezing rain quickly covered the sand and restored full-slick. I watched as the two vehicles in front of me slid off the road, one to the right and one to the left, as the camber of the road was enough slope to induce the slide. We all wore boot-chains, because without them we couldn’t walk to place flares.)

I learned a lot of lessons that Christmas Eve on the pass. First, the original all-position AT tread design on BFG KO tires was darn good on snow and ice. Amazing, really. We still run KO2s on my wife’s Grand Cherokees, and we’ve had many demonstrations of that tire’s superiority on ice, including one day when my Superduty couldn’t make it half way up our driveway in 4-wheel drive (running Toyota MTs) and her cherokee easily made it up with nary a slip. I also ran BFG KO2’s on my work Tahoe the last two years at work.

Next, all tire testimonials have to be taken with a grain of salt, because they’re never weighted by experience, driving skill, or decision-making: For the ten-plus miles I was driving on polished sheet-ice at speed, I was driving like an idiot. I didn’t know what I didn’t know. If I had crashed, I might well have blamed the tires for poor wet traction, when it was obviously my own stupidity that was putting them to an unreasonable test on ice, not water. Finally, on the internet, the opinion of a guy who survived a single 100 mile ski trip is weighted equally with the guy who works and drives on snow and ice every day for four months of every year for forty years. I’ve seen dozens if not hundreds of online opinions about how bad BFG tires “suck” on snow and ice, but as a state trooper in a western mountain state, I relied upon them for years. The same is true of studded Duratracs, which is my favorite snow and ice solution for a vehicle that won’t be run at high speeds. Prior to the Tahoe I drove Dodge Chargers at work, the last few of those were AWD hemi-powered Chargers running Goodyear Eagles which could tolerate the 150 mph speeds we occasionally had to run. Those tires were winter-rated, and amazing. I was bumper-deep in snow on many occasions and never got stuck once. (See photo below). Contrary to popular belief, huge-lugged tread patterns that are optimized for digging in mud are generally lousy on hard-packed snow and ice. (Think about running on polished concrete with golf shoes or football cleats, as opposed to tennis shoes.)

I’m old now and recently retired, so my opinions are based upon yesterday’s technology. Tires have improved a lot over the last forty years (think Blizzak), so your mileage may vary.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0779.webp
    IMG_0779.webp
    304.3 KB · Views: 20
  • SOC_OSP_KFO.webp
    SOC_OSP_KFO.webp
    106.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I replaced my OEM Duratrac's Friday with the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATs in LT305/70R-18. I've never hated the Duratrac's but I didn't like that they weren't 3peak. I'm a firm believer in not messing around with less than the best in winter... to many close calls. As I've posted previously I believe the Mickey Thompsons are the best tires out there right now.
1000025684.webp
1000025674.webp
1000025676.webp
1000025678.webp
 

Attachments

  • 1000025674.webp
    1000025674.webp
    320.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Fun tire comparison video for you Winter peeps. Some have commented that the Pirelli Scorpions should've been tested. Never heard of them 🤷🏻‍♂️:

 
I replaced my OEM Duratrac's Friday with the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATs in LT305/70R-18. I've never hated the Duratrac's but I didn't like that they weren't 3peak. I'm a firm believer in not messing around with less than the best in winter... to many close calls. As I've posted previously I believe the Mickey Thompsons are the best tires out there right now. View attachment 233816View attachment 233817View attachment 233824View attachment 233819
They look great! Since that size is a 12.2" wide spec, do you have any rubbing at all on the sway bar? I am considering these in that size.
 
I’ll apologize in advance for the length of this story, but I’ve responded to car crashes for decades, and I see crappy tire advice all the time, so I feel strongly about this topic. The truth is, many or most tire criticisms are rooted in poorly trained drivers or poor decision-making. My own stupidity provides a good case on point, so I’m sharing it here.

Forty-plus years ago I had to drive from central Oregon to the valley on Christmas Eve. It was snowing and blowing so hard the passes were closed, so we were checking the ODOT recording (long before internet) every hour or so hoping for a window to get over the pass. Our window came in the early evening, so we left Bend for the pass.

The State Police had a check point, as only 4x4 vehicles were being allowed up the hill. I was driving a 3/4 ton truck with BFG ATs and I got waived through. (I later learned that the pass was closed again after I was allowed through, as the conditions quickly deteriorated again.)

It had been a heavy snow year, so the snow banks on either side of the road grew to over 8 feet tall near the top. It was snowing hard and blowing the snow off the banks into the road, so the drive was a full butt-pucker. The two ODOT plows working the pass on opposing routes couldn't keep up with the snowfall and wind. With a white road, white walls, and full blizzard with 20 mph winds it was extremely difficult to see where road stopped and the snow banks began. At times I slowed to only 10 mph, and ran with only parking lights and amber fog lights, as the headlights made the visibility worse. It was a long trip through the worst of it. Up top, my front license plate was dragging in the snow in the middle of the highway.

By the time I got down to about 1800’, the snow had turned to rain, so the road was clear, black, and wet. It was after midnight on Christmas Eve, so there was zero traffic. After two hours of white-knuckle driving and lots of coffee, I needed to pee, so I pulled over at a wide spot. When I stepped out of my truck my feet immediately slipped out from under me. I caught myself on the door and door sill.

As it turns out, the rain had been freezing on contact. My hood, radio antennae, and most surfaces of the truck were coated in a quarter-inch or more of ice. There were icicles hanging from the bottom of the mirrors, door, and bumper, but I hadn’t noticed any of this, because the windshield was clear, and I’d been so focused on seeing black pavement again.

I tried to walk around the truck while leaning on it with one hand, but I had zero traction, so I returned to the door jamb, lowered the window, and pissed while hanging on the door. When I got going again, I got up to about 10 mph and stomped to the brakes to check traction. I locked up and skidded for two or three seconds… The most amazing part of this experience is that I’d been driving on this pavement at speeds up to 50 mph for more than ten miles — because I had no idea it was solid ice. (Since that time I have seen conditions like this many times. On one such occasion I was working I-5 and we had dozens of crashes in one ten mile stretch of highway. After the sand-truck came through we started the traffic behind a slow-moving pace car, but the freezing rain quickly covered the sand and restored full-slick. I watched as the two vehicles in front of me slid off the road, one to the right and one to the left, as the camber of the road was enough slope to induce the slide. We all wore boot-chains, because without them we couldn’t walk to place flares.)

I learned a lot of lessons that Christmas Eve on the pass. First, the original all-position AT tread design on BFG KO tires was darn good on snow and ice. Amazing, really. We still run KO2s on my wife’s Grand Cherokees, and we’ve had many demonstrations of that tire’s superiority on ice, including one day when my Superduty couldn’t make it half way up our driveway in 4-wheel drive (running Toyota MTs) and her cherokee easily made it up with nary a slip. I also ran BFG KO2’s on my work Tahoe the last two years at work.

Next, all tire testimonials have to be taken with a grain of salt, because they’re never weighted by experience, driving skill, or decision-making: For the ten-plus miles I was driving on polished sheet-ice at speed, I was driving like an idiot. I didn’t know what I didn’t know. If I had crashed, I might well have blamed the tires for poor wet traction, when it was obviously my own stupidity that was putting them to an unreasonable test on ice, not water. Finally, on the internet, the opinion of a guy who survived a single 100 mile ski trip is weighted equally with the guy who works and drives on snow and ice every day for four months of every year for forty years. I’ve seen dozens if not hundreds of online opinions about how bad BFG tires “suck” on snow and ice, but as a state trooper in a western mountain state, I relied upon them for years. The same is true of studded Duratracs, which is my favorite snow and ice solution for a vehicle that won’t be run at high speeds. Prior to the Tahoe I drove Dodge Chargers at work, the last few of those were AWD hemi-powered Chargers running Goodyear Eagles which could tolerate the 150 mph speeds we occasionally had to run. Those tires were winter-rated, and amazing. I was bumper-deep in snow on many occasions and never got stuck once. (See photo below). Contrary to popular belief, huge-lugged tread patterns that are optimized for digging in mud are generally lousy on hard-packed snow and ice. (Think about running on polished concrete with golf shoes or football cleats, as opposed to tennis shoes.)

I’m old now and recently retired, so my opinions are based upon yesterday’s technology. Tires have improved a lot over the last forty years (think Blizzak), so your mileage may vary.
A little slow on the reply here, but thank you very much for your detailed and thoughtful response, as well as for years of service!! Sincerely appreciated.
 
Just put on my Winter tires. Nokian LT3 in 315/70r17 on steel wheels. They look good, but almost rub on the mud flap.
View attachment 234886View attachment 234887View attachment 234888View attachment 234889
I love the studded Nokian hakkawhatchamcallits I put on my 4Runner for trips to the ski areas (I live in WA state and there weren't any trips to the ski area for me this year. Bummer).

Please post on your experience with those LT3's in future years after you get lots of experience with them on snow and Ice. I'm sure lots of folks will appreciate the follow up posts.

I might put some LT3's on my F350 Tremor in the future, but for now I really only need a set of legitimate snow tires on the 4R. We don't get much snow in the Seattle area in the winter...so I don't need BOTH vehicles to have fast wearing expensive winter tires.

I will say my studded Nokians are the closest thing to Velcro that I've experienced on the snow.
 
Back
Top Bottom