-
Featured
- Staff 🛡️
- #41
- Jun 25, 2021
- 10,938
- 20,577
- 22MY F250 Star White Lariat Tremor
- 22MY Winnebago Voyage 2831RB
This also came up in my search for sawdust tires... Blast from the past:
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Yikes! That is quite the driving trip.Went on a little over 200 mile trip in the UP today for my first run with the Firestone Winterforce tires, aired at mid 40s PSI. 170 miles of state hwy, snow covered on they way out in the morning and in 4wd most of the way cruise set at 70 and ROCK STEADY. The roads are generally straight around here so you can see for days. Got to the dirt USFS roads and aired down to 30 PSI for about 30 - 35 miles and got after it, slidin' around. Touching upper 60s on the straight, high visibility sections, a couple times I was pushing more than I should have, but never felt like I was in trouble. THere is so much drag with the 4.30 geared rearend and the biggish tires, it scrubs off at least a few mph in these conditions just letting off the gas. You'd really have to overcook it to end up in the trees. Aired back to 40 PSI for the ride home, roads were 100% wet the whole way, did it in 2wd, ended up settin' the cruise at 60 (Forscan adjusted for size) and found a good Spittin' Chiclets episode. Heated seats and wheel on, it was a good day in the UP in my truck with the dog......
Location: Mouth of the Two Hearted River area. North Country Trail.
Same here...My college stomping grounds were over by Houghton, MI
Go Blue!!but it was a good weekend for some of us Michiganders. GoBlue
Free Harbaugh!Same here...
It was a big trip for us to go to Marquette for Taco Bell back in the day...
Go Blue!!
LOL. It could be done. I would have been more likely to drop out due to boredom if I had gone to my hometown University for undergrad (Michigan). Tech was the time of my life. But it takes a particular warped type of person...LOL. Exploring, Beaver trapping - for furs - really; bird hunting, Nordic Ski Team, skipping all the boring classes, worked on research projects including one summer on Isle Royale..owned a Jeep CJ5. Life was glorious except for the one obvious glaring omission addressed w/ a GF at CMU.....and I still graduated early with honors, somehow...my Professors must have been trying to get rid of me.I’m pretty sure I would’ve flunked out of college at Michigan Tech because I never would have been in class. Too much fun stuff to do in the Keweenaw.
I think it is down the road from "Zippity"Where the heck is Doo Dah?
/\/\
That sums up exactly how I feel and why I run snow tires on every vehicle I've owned since 2008/9 with the exception of last winter in the F350. When no one is in front of me or around, I enjoy being hard on the brakes as much as accelerating hard. There is nothing like a snow tire in terms of overall grip!! I went with the Firestone tires as they had more tread depth than the Generals or Blizzaks and I had never tried Firestone snows before.
Winterforces are directional and Blizzak LTs are not if I remember correctly. I would want to do a regular rotation and not just front/rear to maximize life. I haven't purchased a set yet (although they're not for my Tremor) but this was one factor to push me towards the LTs.Will be interested to hear your feedback on the Firestone Winterforce LT. I'd considered them as well, but maybe creature of habit so staying with the Bridgestone Blizzak (even though the Blizzak LT is completely different tire than the Blizzak DM-V2 we use on everything else). That and the fact that the Blizzaks are available at Costco and were on sale and between the two, the price off of MSRP was enough to sway me. Has the availability and pricepoint/discount % been with the Winterforce LT, I would have just as easily swung that way. Anecdotally, it sounds like the Winterforce are a bit firmer compound (slightly less grip but longer wearing that the Blizzak), but no data to back that up; only comparison comments on various tire forums. I wasn't able to find a tire test/comparison between these two dedicated winter LT tires; only the P rated Winterforce and Blizzaks which are completely different model tires.
Winterforces are directional and Blizzak LTs are not if I remember correctly. I would want to do a regular rotation and not just front/rear to maximize life. I haven't purchased a set yet (although they're not for my Tremor) but this was one factor to push me towards the LTs.
LOL.I think it is down the road from "Zippity"
Yes, CCW - my main concern is with maintained roads (for the SD Tremor) and safety which = stopping and sliding on corners. Your sentiment matches mine. Also, I subscribe to the WSDOT I-90 reports and it is shocking how often the freeway is closed due to accidents...(all year) but especially when weather kicks in. I'm talking multiple lanes or closed freeway several times per week between North Bend and Ellensburg...
I appreciate everyone's point of view and experience or I wouldn't post here. Thank you for responding, RS90. I get what you are saying and those points are not lost on me. Maybe a heavy truck with regular tires does better on icy maintained roads than a lighter vehicle does? I will definitely add at least 500 lbs of sand to the back of the truck right away.
Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear those A/Ts are working well - that is a good data point. I'm jealous, I miss snowboarding...too many injuries, including ruptured achilles snowboarding at Sun Peaks 15+ years ago.The Key here is you are going over the wrong pass, 12 is the only way to travel in the winter.
I made a dozen trips in my truck last winter between the snowboarding and Leavenworth trips with no issues. I put the Open Range A/Ts on my truck Monday, no extra slip or sliding with the freezing fog this morning.
Wouldn't it be cool if we had a Time Machine that let us bring back a fresh set to compare against today's worst snow tires? LOL.This also came up in my search for sawdust tires... Blast from the past:
I've been using Predator Mutant Arctic studded, 35/1250R18, for a month. These are real winter tires. And in my research, these are the only ones that come close to the original dimensions of the F250 tremor.Nokian LT3 un-studded and studded
Any recommendations on "winter tires" in the PNW (I suspect CCW and DDD are a couple of locals that may have some good insights).
I am hearing that the Tremors are being delivered with a non-3PMS Duratrac tire. My new diesel Tremor should be delivered in about 30 days. Traditionally I've always run "real" winter tires on my other vehicles and I am reluctant to run my new SD Tremor in then PNW mountains without condition appropriate tires.
Note: I do plan to throw 500+ lbs of sand bags in the bed for winter.. and I plan to eventually build it out in a way that will add weight to the back.
Stop right here if you wish...but more perspective below.
I see lots of discussion about 3PMS tires, including generally positive comments about the Falken Wildpeak. What I am not seeing is much (any?) comment about actual un-studded "Winter" tires in a size comparable to OEM on a SD Tremor (ideally 34'-35").
There are some great discussions about year-round tires with a 3PMS rating (again, like the Falken Wildpeaks). There are also some great discussions and comments from folks that run studded tires - folks that are typically in places like Alberta, or Montana, or working in the oilfield - places with constant snow, ice or dirt roads. I think those tend to be tires with "year round rubber compound" with studs.
I'd prefer a full-on "Winter" tire, and I would probably prefer un-studded due to the amount wet highway driving where I live.
I'm beginning to think that a large, un-studded "winter" tire is nearly a unicorn.
My use case: I live in the suburban Seattle, WA area and have other vehicles I can drive "in the city". I do not commit anymore. The Tremor is intended to be more of a "fun" / recreation / hunting / camping / vacation vehicle. For those reasons, and because it is a diesel, it shouldn't need to be driven around town much for daily tasks.
While I am looking for a good un-studded winter tire for my SD Tremor, due to the difficulty of finding such a beast, I am beginning to think about going with a studded winter tire and then just reserving the Tremor for situations where those tires might be needed, such as long winter road trips in the PNW or trips to places like Mt. Baker, Mt. Rainier, or over "The Pass" this winter. I suppose the other option is to get a good 3PMS tire known for good performance on wet roads and in rain - like the Falken Wildpeak, but that tire appears to be only marginally different from the stock Duratracs, and frankly I don't know how good or bad the current Duratracs will be.
I think the Falken's might be a decent option for year-round use once the Duratracs wear out. So, I'm a bit reluctant to proactively buy a year-round tire with 3PMS rating as a seasonal replacement for the brand new OEM Duratracs - which maybe are actually identical to the 3PMS Duratracs in construction; but maybe they just came up a few percent shy of other sizes in mandatory performance testing.
Or go with something like the "small" 33.2" Nokian LT3 - see link.
One of the few true winter tires I've found that "might" work would be the Nokian LT3. The LT3 uses a winter rubber compound and is not intended for use in temps above 45 degrees. However, the Nokian plant in Russia is shut down due to the Ukraine war, and as a result they are very short on inventory and have zero un-studded LT3's. They do have a very few studded LT3's but the largest for an 18 inch wheel is a 275/70/18 with a diameter of 33.2 inches. Which is a bit smaller than I'd like - but I might consider going that route partly because I don't see a lot of need for a large diameter tire on this vehicle in the winter in the PNW. But it might look a little silly in the wheel wells...
I could also just put winter tires on my 4Runner but I retired my last set of winter tires for that vehicle, so would need to buy a new set. I'd rather buy a set of winter tires for the Tremor than the 4Runner....
That might be a bit much to "unpack" but I appreciate everyone's input.
Thanks in advance.
Jim