Who runs "Actual" Winter Tires, ideally in a 34" to 35" size?

35/1250R18 -
in my research, these are the only ones that come close to the original dimensions of the F250 tremor.

Stock are 285/75R18 are 34.8" tall and 11.2" wide.
275/65R20 are readily available and 34.1" tall and 10.8" wide.
Seem pretty close to me at only 0.8" height difference. And I'd rather drive a tire slightly smaller than stock in the winter time rather than a fair bit larger than stock like the 35x12.5.
Plus that 20" tire size is readily available as are 20" wheels since so many take them off. I don't off road in the winter (don't need tall sidewall of a smaller wheel) so 20" wheel is fine for me in winter months and I'll run 275/65R20 on them. Then 285/75R18 and 18" as my summer tires and wheels where I want taller sidewall.
To each their own and having choices is nice and there are quite a few choices/sizes that are close to the stock tire size.
 
Last edited:
The next time someone even mentions MT tire for the snow, send them to this test:
That aligns with the Bridgestone test I previously watched. Good stuff!
 
Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear those A/Ts are working well - that is a good data point. I'm jealous, I miss snowboarding...too many injuries, including ruptured achilles snowboarding at Sun Peaks 15+ years ago.

You are absolutely correct - it could be advantageous to live somewhere that did not position me smack dab off of I-90 near Issaquah making Snoqualmie Pass the best winter route over the Cascades. But after 30 years in my house & a remodel in process, I don't plan on moving my primary residence too soon. And if I did move, I don't think the Cascades would get in the way at all. 😂 Your zip code maps to the Centralia area so you might be spared the mayhem of the Seattle metro area and I-90 😂 Man, its gotten nutty over the past 15 years...
I grew up in Randle, just moved out of Tumwater, down to Centralia. I would rather deploy to a war zone again vs live north east of thurston county.
 
Stock are 285/75R18 are 34.8" tall and 11.2" wide.
275/65R20 are readily available and 34.1" tall and 10.8" wide.
Seem pretty close to me at only 0.8" height difference. And I'd rather drive a tire slightly smaller than stock in the winter time rather than a fair bit larger than stock like the 35x12.5.
Plus that 20" tire size is readily available as are 20" wheels since so many take them off. I don't off road in the winter so 20" wheel is fine for me in winter months and I'll run 275/65R20 on them. Then 285/75R18 and 18" as my summer tires and wheels.
To each their own and having choices is nice and there are quite a few choices/sizes that are close to the stock tire size.
Great point - I hadn't thought about that. I look at it the same way - the winter set up does not need to meet the same standards that the summer tires do. Definitely something to think about.
 
Just picked up a set of these Yokohama Geolander A/T XD tires in the stock Tremor size 285/75/18 they are 3PMSF rated and stud able with nice factory sipping. I live in interior Alaska and plan on studding them for use exclusively in the winter. first impressions are they feel much softer than the Duratracs and they have a slightly deeper tread at 19/32" vs. the goodyears 18/32". they are fairly new to the market but I found them on Amazon for $365/tire so for a 10 ply load range E tire they are also more affordable and more available than the goodyears.
 

Attachments

  • 20231019_163303.webp
    20231019_163303.webp
    330.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 71Czb-ONGlL._AC_SY879_.webp
    71Czb-ONGlL._AC_SY879_.webp
    90.9 KB · Views: 89
Just picked up a set of these Yokohama Geolander A/T XD tires in the stock Tremor size 285/75/18 they are 3PMSF rated and stud able with nice factory sipping. I live in interior Alaska and plan on studding them for use exclusively in the winter. first impressions are they feel much softer than the Duratracs and they have a slightly deeper tread at 19/32" vs. the goodyears 18/32". they are fairly new to the market but I found them on Amazon for $365/tire so for a 10 ply load range E tire they are also more affordable and more available than the goodyears.
I also just ordered a set of these tires in stock size. SimpleTire is advertising these at $304/ea. Discount Tire matched their price. Discount guy liked these over the Falken Wildpeak AT’s. Probably won’t stud them but it’s an option. Curious how these differ from the Yokohama Geolander AT GO15?
 
I also just ordered a set of these tires in stock size. SimpleTire is advertising these at $304/ea. Discount Tire matched their price. Discount guy liked these over the Falken Wildpeak AT’s. Probably won’t stud them but it’s an option. Curious how these differ from the Yokohama Geolander AT GO15?
there's a thread on the Geolander GO15 tires. they are more of a summer A/T highway tire.
 
View attachment 135571

Sold my stock Duratracks with a couple hundred miles on them in favor is there Toyo AT’s. The 3-peak snow flake was a big consideration when I chose them. Also considered the Falken tires but in the size I bought 37 12.50’s they are “approved” for the stick width rim while these Toyos are. Haven’t had them in snow but they seem like a solid tire so far.
Side question, how did you handle the spare issue...did one of these fit deflated underneath?
 
Side question, how did you handle the spare issue...did one of these fit deflated underneath?
So I haven’t fully handled it yet. It’s very unlikely a 37” will fit under the truck, so right now I have my 35” under there and intend on using as a front spare in the unlikely event I get a spare. My intention has always been to put the Carli hitch under there and run a 37” in it. That seems to be the only real viable option as I’m not willing to have a swing away mount on my truck. For others something like a Rigd could be a good option.
 
I know this is a full on winter tire thread but wondering if anybody has specifically compared nitto Ridge grapplers and toyo r/t. I go to Tahoe a bit and have blizzaks on the suv I can throw on but I'd prefer to just drive the truck.
 
I know this is a full on winter tire thread but wondering if anybody has specifically compared nitto Ridge grapplers and toyo r/t. I go to Tahoe a bit and have blizzaks on the suv I can throw on but I'd prefer to just drive the truck.
Sorry, I got carried away and wrote a novel. Quick answer - haven't compared those two but I have experience with the NRG's and don't recommend them for wet pavement or snow/ice.

I run Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my 4R. But I try not to in the winter. Actually wish I had bought something else for this (second set). My experience is that once they wear down just a little bit they are awful on wet roads and have poor snow traction. Personally I would NEVER recommend NRG's to someone that wanted "good" i.e., safe traction in snow or wet pavement. But, maybe they perform differently on a heavy truck.

Now, having said that, I did drive about 1,000 miles on mostly ice between Missoula Mt. and Northern Michigan this year pretty much following a big snow storm (I started and returned to the Seattle area), That set of NRG's were almost new and they did much better than I expected on the 1,000 miles of really really bad very icy roads. It WAS white knuckle and I did NOT feel like I had consistently good control (but the road was mostly empty except for the trucks in teh ditch). I think the tires did "okay" because 1) tires were new, 2) the vehicle was probably a few hundred pounds over max GVWR, 3) most of the drive the speeds were not much over 40 mph. Also, occasionally there would be a vehicle ahead of me (typically a pick up truck) and I'd just watch to see when they started going sidewise and the slow down a little. LOL.

For THIS winter I tried something new with the 4R and bought the Nokian LT winter tires with studs. Previously had been occasionally running a very old set of Toyo something or other (Blizzak equivalent) but they "aged out" so I finally tossed them at around ten years old. The Toyo winter tires were similar to Blizzaks. They were "fine" and definitely better than summer tires...but not like the Nokian Studded LT's.

We've had a very light precipitation and light snow year here in the Seattle / Cascades, but I was fortunate enough to use the new Nokian studded LT's during one heavy snow event traveling to the ski area at Snoqualmie Pass.

The road had a layer of ice with snow on top and traffic was very slow. Chains required for trucks. With those studded Nokian tires, I felt like I was running on Velcro. I grew up driving in the snow to college in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and actually grew up in Ann Arbor, so I have lots of experience with snow driving. I've NEVER experienced anything as confidence inspiring as those Nokian Studded LT's. When driving to the Pass in those fairly bad conditions, with slow traffic and slippery roads, I simply pulled into the mostly unused far left lane and passed everyone. I am well over 60 YO and reasonably cautious, so no I wasn't acting like a crazed youngster. Rather, I had better control of my vehicle in the thick snow lane than everyone else did in the other lanes. I was shocked how well those tires worked.

Anyway, I'll end where I started - I would NOT recommend Nitro RG's as a winter tire. They might be marginally okay when new but I don't think it will be confidence inspiring. If you know the weather is going to be snowy and icy I'd put the Blizzaks on the SUV and drive that instead.

BTW, the reason I bought the studded tires for the 4R was because I did not need to drive that vehicle many miles around town in the lowlands where there generally isn't any snow. I have other vehicles for that. And with my new Tremor, I had to decide if I wanted to buy winter tires this winter for that vehicle - and I just wasn't ready to decision winter tires for the new truck before doing some discovery on how the non-3PMS duratracs performed. So I took the easy (expensive but easy) way out and put the Nokian Ice Killer's on the 4R and I am happy I did. I also happen to have two sets of wheels for the 4R and one set was "unshod" because I threw out the Toyo winter tires last spring despite there be useable tread left. I threw them out so I wouldn't be
tempted to keep running them at such an old age, despite remaining tread.

As I think I mentioned in a previous post, I am willing to pay for safety and don't mind having capital tied up in a second set of tires - either way I'm going to (usually) eventually wear out both sets of tires.

FWIW, my current plan is to see how the Tremor performs with the non 3PMS Duratracs on snow and ice. If I don't like the performance I may just sell them and buy something that is 3PMS and well liked / well reviewed for wet road and snow performance. Something like the Falken Wildpeak's (but the new version of Falken WP's may not be as good in snow). With proven 3PMS tires on the truck as my "summer tires" I should be reasonably safe if I hit shoulder season snow/ice in those situations where I can't switch to the 4R. Since I live in Seattle we don't get a lot of really hot weather, so the risk of heat "melting" the tires fast in the summer isn't a big concern, and I rarely tow. Eventually I would probably buy a dedicated set of winter tires for the Tremor, but I'd like to see how a set of 3PMS year round tires perform as long as my aging 4R is available for bad weather duty shod with Nokian studded LT's "Velcro Tires" in the winter.

Those are my thoughts, FWIW and I hope it may be at least a little bit helpful for you.

My only regret is that this strong "El Niño" winter is having the the typical impact in Washington - relatively warmer weather and relatively lower precipitation compared to a "La Niña" winter (this is the opposite of the impact on CA). The precipitation variability can be significant between different El Niño years, but virtually every peak snow / precipitation year is a La Niña year. I guess we have at least 5 weeks left to catch up a bit on snow... And the odds are for a quick flip to La Niña by this summer... I think you mentioned a CA ski area. The snow has been light down in CA so far despite a strong El Niño which usually brings MORE precipitation to CA. Apparently other variables like the intra-seasonal "MJO" or one of the other intra-seasonal oscillations have interrupted the El Niño pattern so far this season, but that may give way. I like reading the monthly ENSO updates posted by NOAA.

Monthly ENSO update

CA Snowpack and Reservoir Visualizations
 
Last edited:
I've NEVER experienced anything as confidence inspiring as those Nokian Studded LT's.
Being a studdable tire I assume it is a winter specific compound as well. You just can't beat those benefits with anything else. I'm sure I shared my prior experience with a front wheel drive SVT Focus - putting winter tires on it made it feel unstoppable in anything but real deep snow. Those didn't have studs btw. ;)
 
In Eastern WA they put salt down now because people today just can’t learn how to drive in winter. Or they use studs which, for some reason, are still legal here. Blizzak’s or similar tires of a softer compound are IMHO best for winter driving. But you’ll burn the tread off in no time on dry pavement. I don’t even know if it’s possible to find them for an F350. I’ve been running with my OEM Duratracs since my 22 arrived. They’re not the best but I get by. In my youth, in Montana, we put on sawdust snow tires on the rear tires FFor the season at $20 per ( no FWD and few 4WD in those days) and the highest department would sand intersections and curves. The assumption was people were smart enough to learn how to slow down, be aware and alert, and use their brain to assess the situation.
I know this is an old thread, but it was recently linked, so I’m adding my .02 as an addendum.

Blizzaks are fantastic, but nothing beats a studded all-position winter tire for traction in all winter conditions. I continue to spend a lot of time on northwest passes for work and recreation. The most dangerous driving is on smooth ice, and that often dominates on the lower altitude areas on the shoulders of the heavier snow where we’ll often have freezing rain and/or ice with a thin layer of water on top. Four-wheel-drive and studded snow tires on a properly weighted vehicle is an impossible combination to beat in that.

I run studded Duratrac M&S tires on my truck with ample weight in the back of the truck over the rear wheels.
 

Attachments

  • SOC_OSP_KFO.webp
    SOC_OSP_KFO.webp
    106.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
What is everyone’s favorite snow tires? I spend quite a bit of time in the snow and ice in the winter, and this is going to be out family winter adventure vehicle, so I want to be as safe/secure as possible. I’ve previously always used Blizzaks or X-Ice and been really happy with those, but it doesn’t look like those are options for our trucks. I’ve read good things about the Falken AT4, but it doesn’t seem like a dedicated snow tire.

I have a 2026 F-350 Lariat Tremor with the stock tremor wheels/tires.

Thanks!
 
What is everyone’s favorite snow tires? I spend quite a bit of time in the snow and ice in the winter, and this is going to be out family winter adventure vehicle, so I want to be as safe/secure as possible. I’ve previously always used Blizzaks or X-Ice and been really happy with those, but it doesn’t look like those are options for our trucks. I’ve read good things about the Falken AT4, but it doesn’t seem like a dedicated snow tire.

I have a 2026 F-350 Lariat Tremor with the stock tremor wheels/tires.

Thanks!
@Fun - FYI, merged your question with the existing thread
 
  • Like
Reactions: Fun
What is everyone’s favorite snow tires? I spend quite a bit of time in the snow and ice in the winter, and this is going to be out family winter adventure vehicle, so I want to be as safe/secure as possible. I’ve previously always used Blizzaks or X-Ice and been really happy with those, but it doesn’t look like those are options for our trucks. I’ve read good things about the Falken AT4, but it doesn’t seem like a dedicated snow tire.

I have a 2026 F-350 Lariat Tremor with the stock tremor wheels/tires.

Thanks!
I just put a set of studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3s in 275/70R18 on my truck after running them for 7+ years on my previous raptors & f150. I drive lots of mountain passes, haul sleds (on the truck & in trailers) all around BC, and have a long steep driveway that is often too slippery to stand on.

For my money, there isn’t a better winter tire out there if you need the absolute best in winter/snow/ice performance.
 
I also did a ton of research and live in the mountains in California with frequent trips to Tahoe during the winter for ski season. I also drive my truck as a daily driver and use it for Work and Hall. Very heavy loads. I found the Falken Wildpeak AT4 to be an excellent tire. Relatively low road noise, handles well in all weather, has worked well off road in money conditions, as well as driving on highways and city driving . Was honestly pretty impressed with how well they worked in the snow.

I don’t remember exactly when I bought them, but it was at least 25,000 miles ago and they are holding up great. So for the kind of driving you’re talking about and being able to have a pretty good all purpose tire, these are pretty good option. I’m running the 35 x 12 1/2 on stock trimmer wheels no modifications. I have no rubbing.
 
@Fun - FYI, merged your question with the existing thread
Thanks for merging this thread! I don’t know how this didn’t pop up in my search for snow tires. Tons of great info here. Thanks!
 
I do alot of work in Norther Canada and go across the mountains several times each year. I have found standard 3PM tires get hard and slick when temperatures drop (anything below minus 40), so I run the Nokian Hakakapeliitta on steel wheels from about Sept 1-March 1. I am planning to put 30,000 miles on this winter
My problem is that they do not give me great traction in the gravel/mud when I return south. I would have liked to run studds but several states that I cross do not allow them to be used.
I plan to try the Baja Boss next spring, as I would love to not need to swap tires twice a year.
 
Back
Top Bottom