What do y’all do for a living?

Being as generic as possible: I look at things and make sure they're correct. Also after 10 years I have no idea still why they pay me so much to do it.

Being as generic as possible: I look at things and make sure they're correct. Also after 10 years I have no idea still why they pay me so much to do it.
We found the Boeing QA inspector trainer!

Retired and broken. Finishing up masters degree in environmental policy (fish and wildlife management) then starting doctorate in the mycology field for fun. Id like to do volunteer research, thats how bored I am.

Retired and broken. Finishing up masters degree in environmental policy (fish and wildlife management) then starting doctorate in the mycology field for fun. Id like to do volunteer research, thats how bored I am.
Cool! My son is graduating in a few weeks with a dual degree in Forestry and Fish/Wildlife Mgt. He absolutely loves it...

Kind of a random combination, but I'm a CPA who owns an electrical contracting firm. I turn 52 tomorrow and hope to be fully retired at 56. Kind of on the downhill slide towards that now, as I have some good people working for me and often my schedule is pretty free.

Bought a small farm in my hometown 4 years ago and hope to have that turning a profit in the next couple of years. I also benefit from having a wife who is pretty damn good at making money in real estate and stock trading.

Your mamma was clearly an Ed Bruce fan and took his words to heart when it came to raising you. 😁
Haha, definitely days I wish I would have gone the cowboy way

That is so true. You need to keep busy during retirement. I have seen my former in-laws just waste away a lot of good by watching TV all day long. It almost seems like a waiting game for the death to arrive. Not sure - maybe having to watch TV all day is already a punishment. But in all seriousness, I want to retire from working for the man, but I have way to much stuff I want to do and have fear I run out of years before I run out of things to do.
I agree with you. One of the interesting things I have noticed the past 15 years is when I meet with clients - it doesn’t matter the age. If they are still working / or own their own company - or are “retired” but still consult or have meaningful activities - those people almost always have a positive view of life and the current state of the union. I find those that are fully retired and I see the news in the background on the TV - those people almost always have a negative view of “today’s culture”. This is something I really have noticed and dissected many times over the past 10-20 years and is interesting that if you tie it into when 24/7 news became a staple in homes/business/ ect. - seems to match up . I stopped watching news about 5 years ago and just read news articles instead so that I am not picking up the emotion and trigger points that are added into the news.

My wife works for Fish and Wildlife, and from what I have learned there is a large variety of very under paid jobs for the responsible people in preserving, protecting and maintaining this leading to people just getting the job because they applied to it. This leads to poor decisions, and lots of lawsuits

I agree with you. One of the interesting things I have noticed the past 15 years is when I meet with clients - it doesn’t matter the age. If they are still working / or own their own company - or are “retired” but still consult or have meaningful activities - those people almost always have a positive view of life and the current state of the union. I find those that are fully retired and I see the news in the background on the TV - those people almost always have a negative view of “today’s culture”. This is something I really have noticed and dissected many times over the past 10-20 years and is interesting that if you tie it into when 24/7 news became a staple in homes/business/ ect. - seems to match up . I stopped watching news about 5 years ago and just read news articles instead so that I am not picking up the emotion and trigger points that are added into the news.
🏆

I was a wastewater treatment plant operator/chief plant operator for the 32 years of my life. I retired a couple years ago and used part of my savings. One of the best things I ever did however, I still put a lot more money into my truck than I expected to.

30 years as a surveyor crew leader for a large municipal government agency. Very happily retired along with the wife.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back