What do y’all do for a living?

Dad of 3 girls, husband, and owner of a MALE dog (he still has his balls mine don’t work anymore) And I play the fix and flip real estate game.

Without reading every post, were you in the military? I wasn’t but my dad and son were. My dad taught me about firearms along with the Boy Scouts.

Dad of 3 girls, husband, and owner of a MALE dog (he still has his balls mine don’t work anymore) And I play the fix and flip real estate game.
Lots of information, or TMI!!

Engineer.

This thread had been around for nearly 3 years so I deleted all most posts to start out. TMI

Last edited:
Self-employed residential remodeler/home builder. Trying to transition to more of a supervisory role, but most days I still end up with my bags on.
Please don't transition, transform instead 🤪

I was a drug dealer (pharmacist) for about 11 years and left the profession about 1.5 years ago to work for a pharmaceutical company. Still keeping my license up to date.

To be fair, I don’t live in the NC mountains, but several of my buddies do. Undergrad at AppState, D school at UNC. I live about 30min from UNC. There are more teeth where I live 🤣.

Carpenter by trade, custom homes for 20 years - Craft Superintendent (baby sitter for grown ass men) over the Structural Dept. LANL, National Security 24 years. Helping keeping you good fuckers safe from this screwed up world!

I want to call it good in 4 years max before I turn 60 (ideally earlier).
Jealous! I would love to be done by 60 but my gut is telling me it's more like 63.

Project Manager for a Heavy Civil GC
1711460172109.png

This has been a great thread to read.

Thanks to all of you who served in the Armed Forces! I'm grateful for your time and service. The same is true for all of you in LEO / First Responder roles. Thanks for all you do.

I manage a group of estimators for a large national General Contractor. I've been in the industry for over 28 years in various roles and found I had an appreciation for preconstruction and estimating. Growing up in SE Michigan, we're surrounded by the auto industry and many of us who grew up here have a passion for cars and trucks. As a young kid, my grandfather took me on a tour of the Mustang plant at the Ford Rouge complex. I was fascinated by the process of assembling a car. He was a mechanical engineer for Ford working on fuel injection systems and took me through several manufacturing facilities, design facilities, and testing facilities and it peaked my interest. I've had the benefit of marrying that passion into the construction industry by building, renovating, and installing tools in auto manufacturing and testing environments all over the country. It's been a great ride.

Jealous! I would love to be done by 60 but my gut is telling me it's more like 63.
You know, you need to set the goal line and have a plan so that you can work towards it. Otherwise you're just loosely trailing your target and will miss it. One day you will wake up at 63 and realize that you still have to work longer because things change around you.

My original goal was 55, but I never really put a detailed plan into place - while I saved money and advanced in my career, I should have been more disciplined about how to get to 55 with enough money. But nobody tells you and there are very few people that show you or remind you. Then at around 50 I woke up again and I shifted gears and it seemed in reach after making a lucrative job change - just to be derailed by a divorce.

Now I am aiming at 60, but also with a different view of what my "retirement" will look like. I am more financially educated now and I am also willing to take some specific risks to make this happen. The worst thing that can happen now? I miss the goal and have to work a few years longer, but in that case I would be in a much stronger position already because I already worked towards the goal.

You know, you need to set the goal line and have a plan so that you can work towards it. Otherwise you're just loosely trailing your target and will miss it. One day you will wake up at 63 and realize that you still have to work longer because things change around you.

My original goal was 55, but I never really put a detailed plan into place - while I saved money and advanced in my career, I should have been more disciplined about how to get to 55 with enough money. But nobody tells you and there are very few people that show you or remind you. Then at around 50 I woke up again and I shifted gears and it seemed in reach after making a lucrative job change - just to be derailed by a divorce.

Now I am aiming at 60, but also with a different view of what my "retirement" will look like. I am more financially educated now and I am also willing to take some specific risks to make this happen. The worst thing that can happen now? I miss the goal and have to work a few years longer, but in that case I would be in a much stronger position already because I already worked towards the goal.
This, finally really started getting serious about this a few years ago, finally got the wife onboard too. Between 401k and investment strategies we should be golden by 60.

Owned a glass company and a deck company in Illinois before running away from that state, I still have the glass company here in AZ but currently not operating on anything large, sticking to small projects to make myself available to my kids for school pick up and drop off.
I like telling people that I'm now a trophy husband! lol

This is accurate. Another benefit to setting and hitting a target, especially early, is that actually stepping away is on your terms and if you choose to keep going, everything earned past that goal is gravy.

I’m an ambassador for God Jesus Christ lord and my Savior.

”I tell you, you can pray for anything, and if you believe that you’ve received it, it will be yours.“
‭‭Mark‬ ‭11‬:‭24‬ ‭NLT‬‬

This, finally really started getting serious about this a few years ago, finally got the wife onboard too. Between 401k and investment strategies we should be golden by 60.
Right on brother, I have several investments but am always looking for new ideas. What else have you invested in? Residential/commercial real estate, storage, land, etc?

Right on brother, I have several investments but am always looking for new ideas. What else have you invested in? Residential/commercial real estate, storage, land, etc?
The only residential I have is our current house, we keep moving and bank rolling the positive equity. If we move again though we might rent this house as it is a 2.75%.

Outside of that I invest in various stocks and BTC. My stocks are managed through Wealthfront (also offering a 5.00% HYSA, 5.50% for 3mo if you invite someone). I created various "portfolios" that I keep investing in overtime for $/Cost Averaging. Each "portfolio" has a few various related stocks within it. VG is all certain VG investments, Individual is an automated account where they (WF) auto moves stuff around, same with Auto bond (both of those you select your risk comfort level), Healthcare are various HC stocks as is Tech and both I selected by "word of mouth" and varying levels of research and risk I was willing to take; along with convos with guys like you and I are having now. I also have a small amount in Crypto.

Then we both max out our 401ks.
1711468745507.png

Back