weird steering behavior

My 24 stock Lariat Ultimate does this as well. I've noticed a few times it seems a bit hard to correct to the left and would go right easily. I wondered if the stock right hub was the issue but I see some say 23s did it too? It does seem like I notice it more at higher speeds on a road with sweeping turns. I will have to pay more attention. Mine is not a tremor but don't hold that against me.
 
My 24 stock Lariat Ultimate does this as well. I've noticed a few times it seems a bit hard to correct to the left and would go right easily. I wondered if the stock right hub was the issue but I see some say 23s did it too? It does seem like I notice it more at higher speeds on a road with sweeping turns. I will have to pay more attention. Mine is not a tremor but don't hold that against me.
I'm getting the same on my 24 Platinum. It's intermittent but steering to the left especially on a sweeping turn is very heavy. I've turned off all safety related to steering and still get it.
 
Same here. I have had the dummy hub replaced, alignment and currently having Carli shims put in to help.
 
So here is what I've learned after spending way too much time and money on troubleshooting this. Since I have both upper and lower Carli steering stabilizers and experienced the same intermittent variable resistance I started trying to figure out how the electronic steering assist worked in these trucks. I purchased both a Mongoose and FDRS license as well as a new Autel scanner.

Our trucks don't really have a true steering wheel angle sensor reset like you would typically do following an alignment. The procedure is to go into the ABS module and initialize the IVD sequence which calibrates the Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor. This actually ties out to the steering alignment offset. Luckily I was able to find a good explanation in an overseas article tied to a Ford Explorer on how the IVD module works .

Once I reset and recalibrated I stopped feeling the intermittent resistance changes, pulling back but it still wasn't a linear feeling of resistance. I found I like the steering feel MUCH better with disabling steering assist completely. This can be done under the Pre-Collision assist screen, however every time you turn it off, it turns back on after a key cycle. If you disable Pre-Collision Assist it stay off each cycle. I see there is an option in ForScan to turn off the steering assist but I haven't tested to see if it sticks ignition cycle to the next. The steering feel you get (at-least in my case with stabilizers) is an even resistance left and right throughout the angular motion. There is no variability in resistance which I'm OK with.

The downside is you loose the Pre-Collision alert unless the Forscan disable forces it off at each key cycle. I still need to test this and see it stick in FDRS.
 
So here is what I've learned after spending way too much time and money on troubleshooting this. Since I have both upper and lower Carli steering stabilizers and experienced the same intermittent variable resistance I started trying to figure out how the electronic steering assist worked in these trucks. I purchased both a Mongoose and FDRS license as well as a new Autel scanner.

Our trucks don't really have a true steering wheel angle sensor reset like you would typically do following an alignment. The procedure is to go into the ABS module and initialize the IVD sequence which calibrates the Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor. This actually ties out to the steering alignment offset. Luckily I was able to find a good explanation in an overseas article tied to a Ford Explorer on how the IVD module works .

Once I reset and recalibrated I stopped feeling the intermittent resistance changes, pulling back but it still wasn't a linear feeling of resistance. I found I like the steering feel MUCH better with disabling steering assist completely. This can be done under the Pre-Collision assist screen, however every time you turn it off, it turns back on after a key cycle. If you disable Pre-Collision Assist it stay off each cycle. I see there is an option in ForScan to turn off the steering assist but I haven't tested to see if it sticks ignition cycle to the next. The steering feel you get (at-least in my case with stabilizers) is an even resistance left and right throughout the angular motion. There is no variability in resistance which I'm OK with.

The downside is you loose the Pre-Collision alert unless the Forscan disable forces it off at each key cycle. I still need to test this and see it stick in FDRS.
can you test the disable in Forscan?
i can look also
update: i couldn't find it in Forscan
 
Last edited:
Would love to hear about how to turn off in Forscan to remedy this inconvenience.
 
So here is what I've learned after spending way too much time and money on troubleshooting this. Since I have both upper and lower Carli steering stabilizers and experienced the same intermittent variable resistance I started trying to figure out how the electronic steering assist worked in these trucks. I purchased both a Mongoose and FDRS license as well as a new Autel scanner.

Our trucks don't really have a true steering wheel angle sensor reset like you would typically do following an alignment. The procedure is to go into the ABS module and initialize the IVD sequence which calibrates the Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor. This actually ties out to the steering alignment offset. Luckily I was able to find a good explanation in an overseas article tied to a Ford Explorer on how the IVD module works .

Once I reset and recalibrated I stopped feeling the intermittent resistance changes, pulling back but it still wasn't a linear feeling of resistance. I found I like the steering feel MUCH better with disabling steering assist completely. This can be done under the Pre-Collision assist screen, however every time you turn it off, it turns back on after a key cycle. If you disable Pre-Collision Assist it stay off each cycle. I see there is an option in ForScan to turn off the steering assist but I haven't tested to see if it sticks ignition cycle to the next. The steering feel you get (at-least in my case with stabilizers) is an even resistance left and right throughout the angular motion. There is no variability in resistance which I'm OK with.

The downside is you loose the Pre-Collision alert unless the Forscan disable forces it off at each key cycle. I still need to test this and see it stick in FDRS.
This is from the FSM for my '24:


Steering wheel angleABS moduleUsed to verify the validity of the calculated steering angle.
Steering wheel relative angle sensorSASMInforms the PSCM of the current steering wheel relative angle sensor position in degrees or if the information is faulty.

EPAS System

The PSCM controls the functions of the electronic steering actuator and communicates with other modules over the FD-CAN 3 and through the GWM .

To activate, the electronic steering actuator requires battery voltage at the hot at all times PSCM input, battery voltage at the PSCM ignition-run input, the PSCM must communicate with other modules over the FD-CAN 3 and the PSCM must receive the powertrain status message from the PCM .

The main input for calculating the level of steering assist is the steering torque sensor signal (internal to the PSCM ). Vehicle speed is also taken into consideration in order to achieve the vehicle speed dependent steering assist characteristic.

The electronic steering actuator unit uses a reversible motor to apply the steering assist by rotating the steering shaft. The electronic steering actuator unit is connected directly to the steering shaft, located between the steering gear and the steering column.

The PSCM continually monitors and adjusts steering efforts based on the steering torque sensor signal, motor position and FD-CAN 3 inputs to enhance the feel of the steering system. As vehicle speed increases, the amount of assist decreases to improve and enhance road feel at the steering wheel. As vehicle speed decreases, the amount of assist increases to ease vehicle maneuvering. Compensation is made to reduce the effect of pull or drift experienced when driving on roads with a high degree of camber. Compensation is also made for the impact of wheel imbalance on steering feel, up to a predetermined threshold.

The steering torque sensor senses the torque at the steering wheel. It is integrated into the PSCM and works by measuring the relative rotation between an input and output shaft which are connected by a torsion bar. The steering torque sensor sends out 2 PWM signals which allows a channel to channel cross-check and an accurate correction of the neutral point.

The PSCM is self-monitoring and is capable of setting and storing Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). Depending on the DTC set, the PSCM may enter a failure mode. In addition, the PSCM may send a request to the IPC to display a message in the message center, alerting the driver of a potential electronic steering actuator concern. The warning message is sent over the FD-CAN 3 to the GWM which relays the message to the IPC over the HS-CAN3 .

My truck's steering wheel was slightly off center after I installed a Fox ATS steering stabilizer. The truck drove straight and didn't pull to either side, just the steering wheel was no longer in the center. Don't know if it was always like that or I just noticed it, but it was annoying. I confirmed it in Forescan that the center for mine was 6 degrees off. After going through the FSM and seeing that it uses a torque sensor to determine "zero" and other sensors to verify the truck is actually going straight when the torque applied to the steering wheel is zero as well as not mentioning anywhere about recalibrating the steering angle sensor anywhere that I could find, I just adjusted the drag link about 1/8 a turn to re-center. Steering wheel is now centered and after driving for the last week I just rechecked the angle in Forscan and my new physical zero on the steering wheel matches what the sensor is calculating as zero.
 
May I add a comment that is non truck? Two weeks ago I had to rent a car for a work trip. It was a Hyundai Kona with all of the active steering features. I had to drive on highways that were salted with brine. The white brine lines drove the active steering crazy. That feature could be turned off. The active cruize control was also a disaster on the interstate.
All this leads to the fact that I am glad my Lariat does not have those features and I absolutely don't want them on any of my vehicles. I am too old for this nanny stuff and prefer to do my own driving.
 
Any of the owners having the same issues find anything else to help the issue?
 
I have yet to see if anyone has resolved this. So I will post what I did that I truly do think has helped. Let me first say, I have a 2024 F350 Lariet 4x4 (NON) Tremor. I did add 2 degree shims and had an alignment. Still didn’t feel the steering was good and the steering wheel was still cocked with tightness in one direction and not the other. I found a post on another forum about the electronic steering in these things. He turned off the lane centering (or lane whatever it’s called) by using the button on the steering wheel. I believe this has helped, my steering wheel is no longer cocked and has equal tightness turning left and right. It also centers better now too. Would love to hear others that have had this issue, try this and report so it verifies I am not losing my mind. 😂
 
I have yet to see if anyone has resolved this. So I will post what I did that I truly do think has helped. Let me first say, I have a 2024 F350 Lariet 4x4 (NON) Tremor. I did add 2 degree shims and had an alignment. Still didn’t feel the steering was good and the steering wheel was still cocked with tightness in one direction and not the other. I found a post on another forum about the electronic steering in these things. He turned off the lane centering (or lane whatever it’s called) by using the button on the steering wheel. I believe this has helped, my steering wheel is no longer cocked and has equal tightness turning left and right. It also centers better now too. Would love to hear others that have had this issue, try this and report so it verifies I am not losing my mind. 😂
Take a look at my post further up in the thread. The electronic steering is certainly part or all of the culprit in my opinion. Relative to Lane Centering and LKA - I'd be concerned your camera needs to be realigned but I do know that Evasive Steering and ESA impacting my steering.

I am now almost 2 months down the road where I turned off my Evasive Steering in the options. I've now also disabled ESA completely through forescan. I had my wife watch the ESA motor voltage as we drove down the road. You could watch the voltage increase when the steering feel changed.

Without steering assist the steering is a little heavier, but it's uniform.
 
I am now almost 2 months down the road where I turned off my Evasive Steering in the options. I've now also disabled ESA completely through forescan.
Was there a difference between disabling it in the options vs FORScan? Which FORScan setting did you use?
 
Was there a difference between disabling it in the options vs FORScan? Which FORScan setting did you use?
It's two different settings. Evasive Steering can be turned off in options, Electronic Steering Assist is turned off on the module level. If Evasive is turned off, ESA still modulates.
 
Take a look at my post further up in the thread. The electronic steering is certainly part or all of the culprit in my opinion. Relative to Lane Centering and LKA - I'd be concerned your camera needs to be realigned but I do know that Evasive Steering and ESA impacting my steering.

I am now almost 2 months down the road where I turned off my Evasive Steering in the options. I've now also disabled ESA completely through forescan. I had my wife watch the ESA motor voltage as we drove down the road. You could watch the voltage increase when the steering feel changed.

Without steering assist the steering is a little heavier, but it's uniform.
I actually do remember reading your post, but disabling the Pre collision didn't help and I didn't correlate "steering assist" to Lane centering. There are just so many terms out there describing options and to many options available on this truck and not that truck. I am a believer as you state that it is the electronic steering causing these issues. I am also not sure what evasive steering option is. I was also hoping to get a response to my reply 2 posts under your original post about how you used Forscan and were testing it, the guy under you was willing to test too. Not a big deal but was wondering for more info to try anything. Just happy that to report things like this as alot of threads just dead end with no resolutions.
 
I actually do remember reading your post, but disabling the Pre collision didn't help and I didn't correlate "steering assist" to Lane centering. There are just so many terms out there describing options and to many options available on this truck and not that truck. I am a believer as you state that it is the electronic steering causing these issues. I am also not sure what evasive steering option is. I was also hoping to get a response to my reply 2 posts under your original post about how you used Forscan and were testing it, the guy under you was willing to test too. Not a big deal but was wondering for more info to try anything. Just happy that to report things like this as alot of threads just dead end with no resolutions.
Since disabling the Pre Collision and Evasive Steering didn't change anything on your rig, I'd recommed recalibrating your camera. That is what drives (no punt intended) the Lane Keep Assist.

You can turn off Electric Power Steering Assist in Forscan if you have it. It's available as a plain english option so no hex coding needed. Look in your drivers side wheel well for a silver vertical box bolted to the frame with the steering shaft running through it. As far as monitoring and testing I use my Mongoose and FDRS for that. That's how I was able to see when the motor was applying torque to the steering shaft.
 
Since disabling the Pre Collision and Evasive Steering didn't change anything on your rig, I'd recommed recalibrating your camera. That is what drives (no punt intended) the Lane Keep Assist.

You can turn off Electric Power Steering Assist in Forscan if you have it. It's available as a plain english option so no hex coding needed. Look in your drivers side wheel well for a silver vertical box bolted to the frame with the steering shaft running through it. As far as monitoring and testing I use my Mongoose and FDRS for that. That's how I was able to see when the motor was applying torque to the steering shaft.
Any idea how to recalibrate the camera and which camera would need it? Appreciate the info!
 
Since disabling the Pre Collision and Evasive Steering didn't change anything on your rig, I'd recommed recalibrating your camera. That is what drives (no punt intended) the Lane Keep Assist.

You can turn off Electric Power Steering Assist in Forscan if you have it. It's available as a plain english option so no hex coding needed. Look in your drivers side wheel well for a silver vertical box bolted to the frame with the steering shaft running through it. As far as monitoring and testing I use my Mongoose and FDRS for that. That's how I was able to see when the motor was applying torque to the steering shaft.
Where are you turning off ESA in forscan? I can’t seem to find it anywhere. Currently waiting for the Extended license to activate so I can go into as-built data. 24 SD
 
Where are you turning off ESA in forscan? I can’t seem to find it anywhere. Currently waiting for the Extended license to activate so I can go into as-built data. 24 SD
You'll need the extended license. If you search for steering in plain English mode you will find it if you have it.
 
You'll need the extended license. If you search for steering in plain English mode you will find it if you have it.
The PSCM only shows (as built format) so I’m assuming I’d have to figure out the as built without ESA? Or would it be disabled in another module?
 
The PSCM only shows (as built format) so I’m assuming I’d have to figure out the as built without ESA? Or would it be disabled in another module?
I don't remember what module it was in, that was a long time ago. If you search each module and search for "steering" or "steer" it will come up.
 
Back
Top Bottom