Weather Radar Map - did you know?

thevol

Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
7.3 XLT Tremor
Just a heads up if you find yourself out somewhere with no cell service and need to know the weather... the truck actually has a built in weather radar map that is satellite based. It is sort of buried in there, you go into Apps -> Travel Link -> Weather then click on view in the upper right and select map. You can pan and zoom on the area you want to see.

Or I can just pay for the Wi-Fi in your truck. Then you can use your cell phone with Wi-Fi calling.

but if that doesn’t work then I guess you’re right

Or I can just pay for the Wi-Fi in your truck. Then you can use your cell phone with Wi-Fi calling.

but if that doesn’t work then I guess you’re right
In truck Wi-Fi is cellular data. If you're out of range for cell service, it will not work.

If you're interested in using data, I strongly advise against using Ford. Sending your data through their service benefits no one but Ford's data collection practices.

Products like this provide genuine range extension because of mount location and antenna gain:

In truck Wi-Fi is cellular data. If you're out of range for cell service, it will not work.

If you're interested in using data, I strongly advise against using Ford. Sending your data through their service benefits no one but Ford's data collection practices.

Products like this provide genuine range extension because of mount location and antenna gain:
Does that work pretty good?

My friends who overland swear by it - mount it as high as you're able. I'll be mounting a pivot arm on the retrax t-slot behind the window and installing this at the end so when I don't need it, the antenna will be in a stowed position, but when I'm out in the world, it can be extended for use.

I won't be going on a trip until this fall, but I intend to use this device when I do.

Is this available in the standard sync 3 or only if you have NAV?

This is separate from the onboard solution, it is simply an agnostic signal repeater. It rebroadcasts the cellular signal provided by your carrier. It would be accessible by any device that can receive Wi-Fi. So, for nav data, you'll need to use Apple maps, Google maps, or Waze. The factory navigation will likely be inadequate to the task in this situation regardless.

I say that because for most on-road activities, I believe you can use offline maps in conjunction with the onboard gps signal which is entirely separate from cellular data. For conditions where navigation and cellular data is desirable, you would likely be in an off road / overlanding scenario. because I don't know that I can count of Ford for trail mapping - I would likely rely on a trail specific device application. In that scenario, Weboost would be my go to solution.

In fact, even though my friends use the device I posted, I might be inclined to this model over the last - just because it's supposedly heavier-dutier, and I'm stupid in that regard... I almost always buy the 'pro' model, regardless of my use case.

This is separate from the onboard solution, it is simply an agnostic signal repeater. It rebroadcasts the cellular signal provided by your carrier. It would be accessible by any device that can receive Wi-Fi. So, for nav data, you'll need to use Apple maps, Google maps, or Waze. The factory navigation will likely be inadequate to the task in this situation regardless.

I say that because for most on-road activities, I believe you can use offline maps in conjunction with the onboard gps signal which is entirely separate from cellular data. For conditions where navigation and cellular data is desirable, you would likely be in an off road / overlanding scenario. because I don't know that I can count of Ford for trail mapping - I would likely rely on a trail specific device application. In that scenario, Weboost would be my go to solution.

In fact, even though my friends use the device I posted, I might be inclined to this model over the last - just because it's supposedly heavier-dutier, and I'm stupid in that regard... I almost always buy the 'pro' model, regardless of my use case.

sorry, I specifically meant the weather radar map talked about in the OP, not the on board WiFi or a signal booster.

The Weather and Traffic is a feature of the Sirius XM subscription service. We get a 3 month trial to the music service but Ford provides a five year subscription to the weather and traffic portion of the service. I believe I read this in the fine print on the back of the Sirius XM brochure that came with the truck.

Im not sure if you need NAV for it to work. Did you see Travel Link under the Apps folder? Honestly I would never use it unless I didnt have cell service but seems like alot of places I camp the service is terrible.

If you have Sync3 and Sirius XM you should have this on your system.

Latest Discussions

Back