Truck in dealer for cp4

Super unfortunate for OP.

Diesel and gas comes out of California for us here in Vegas. We know this because of the recent "leak" in Long Beach cut / reduced fuel supplies in the Vegas Metro area for about 3-4 days. There's an 8" & 14" line (Kinder-Morgan CALNEV https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calnev_Pipeline), but curiously two lines provide diesel, gasoline, and jet fuel, so I wonder if cross-contamination is also suspect (e.g., when lines switch between fuel types)? The site says about 128,000 barrels a day, so I imaging its pretty diluted by the time it reaches Vegas.

I've been in Vegas 34yrs now and I've always called BS on different fuel types (detergents and additives) by all the different brand stations here because all the fuel comes from one Depot from one Fuel Line from Southern Cali (except there was a recent line built -2012 - from Utah, UNEV for refined oil products). Like is Costco really mixing a different fuel additive than Shell or Chevron, or even Arco, I doubt it, but someone that delivers fuel here from the Depot in North Las Vegas could chime-in.

In my years here in Vegas, I have driven over 500,000mi (215k '89 GTA T/A, 120k '99 Vette, 60k '00 A4, 110k '05 Xterra, 70k '13 Titan) and have bought gasoline from all different brands without fuel system problems (though in the later years mostly from Costco). As someone mentioned above, high turn-over rate for fuel selection by a station is what I look for, and how old is the station (e.g., is there the possibility of water entering the underground fuel tanks causing contamination). There's a couple stations in Pahrump (on the way to the Dunes) that always have low prices, but they're REALLY old and I would never fill my Diesel there (and I'm shrewd when it comes to fuel prices).

Each time I hear of this, I think I should do the S&S CP4 Fuel Pump disaster kit. $400.

To the OP, is Ford covering the repairs 100% under warranty? Do they consider the fuel system under the drive-train to 100,000mi on the diesel?

Diesel and gas comes out of California for us here in Vegas. We know this because of the recent "leak" in Long Beach cut / reduced fuel supplies in the Vegas Metro area for about 3-4 days. There's an 8" & 14" line (Kinder-Morgan CALNEV https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calnev_Pipeline), but curiously two lines provide diesel, gasoline, and jet fuel, so I wonder if cross-contamination is also suspect (e.g., when lines switch between fuel types)? The site says about 128,000 barrels a day, so I imaging its pretty diluted by the time it reaches Vegas.
When a pipeline is operated in turbulent flow there is very little mixing of products and only at the interface between the two products. Typically the pipeline will switch from delivering into the first product tank into a slop/mixed tank for the interface and then switch to the final product tank when the interface has passed. The slop tank will eventually go back and be separated out at a refinery. Densitometers are used to indicate what product is coming into the station.

The detergents and additive packs for the different fuel retailers is added at the bulk terminals while they are loading trucks to go out to fuel stations. Each company has their own additive package that is added and this is where you get the differences. Yes, all base fuel is coming off of the same pipeline and out of the same bulk terminal, but different additives are added before it is delivered to the stations.

I've been in Vegas 34yrs now and I've always called BS on different fuel types (detergents and additives) by all the different brand stations here because all the fuel comes from one Depot from one Fuel Line from Southern Cali (except there was a recent line built -2012 - from Utah, UNEV for refined oil products). Like is Costco really mixing a different fuel additive than Shell or Chevron, or even Arco, I doubt it, but someone that delivers fuel here from the Depot in North Las Vegas could chime-in.

In my years here in Vegas, I have driven over 500,000mi (215k '89 GTA T/A, 120k '99 Vette, 60k '00 A4, 110k '05 Xterra, 70k '13 Titan) and have bought gasoline from all different brands without fuel system problems (though in the later years mostly from Costco). As someone mentioned above, high turn-over rate for fuel selection by a station is what I look for, and how old is the station (e.g., is there the possibility of water entering the underground fuel tanks causing contamination). There's a couple stations in Pahrump (on the way to the Dunes) that always have low prices, but they're REALLY old and I would never fill my Diesel there (and I'm shrewd when it comes to fuel prices).

Each time I hear of this, I think I should do the S&S CP4 Fuel Pump disaster kit. $400.

To the OP, is Ford covering the repairs 100% under warranty? Do they consider the fuel system under the drive-train to 100,000mi on the diesel?
Having worked in a refinery most of my career I'd suggest that KM lines are pushing diesel and jet through one line as both are very similar products, and gasoline thru the other. KM will ensure that all pipeline products are clean and without cross contamination using methods like pushing a pig through piping between shipments. I believe KM has government contracts which will require them to ensure clean unconpromised products. With regards to each station (Costco, and branded names) each will receive their specific additives at the tank truck loading rack before receiving station individual deliveries. That said, I'd still only trust buying my diesel from known branded stations that receive a good throughput, and I'd still incorporate my own favorite additives with each fill up myself.

Thank you for the insight on the additives at the truck loading racks. Both answers were always a curiosity of mine.
Having worked in a refinery most of my career I'd suggest that KM lines are pushing diesel and jet through one line as both are very similar products, and gasoline thru the other. KM will ensure that all pipeline products are clean and without cross contamination using methods like pushing a pig through piping between shipments. I believe KM has government contracts which will require them to ensure clean unconpromised products. With regards to each station (Costco, and branded names) each will receive their specific additives at the tank truck loading rack before receiving station individual deliveries. That said, I'd still only trust buying my diesel from known branded stations that receive a good throughput, and I'd still incorporate my own favorite additives with each fill up myself.
When a pipeline is operated in turbulent flow there is very little mixing of products and only at the interface between the two products. Typically the pipeline will switch from delivering into the first product tank into a slop/mixed tank for the interface and then switch to the final product tank when the interface has passed. The slop tank will eventually go back and be separated out at a refinery. Densitometers are used to indicate what product is coming into the station.

The detergents and additive packs for the different fuel retailers is added at the bulk terminals while they are loading trucks to go out to fuel stations. Each company has their own additive package that is added and this is where you get the differences. Yes, all base fuel is coming off of the same pipeline and out of the same bulk terminal, but different additives are added before it is delivered to the stations.

I treat Every time I add diesel to my tank...(Archoil) and I have done this since my truck was new. I will continue to do this until my CP4 blows up, at which point I won't ever again. But until then....I'm treating every drop!

I've seen this and thought about it. What type of shop would I look for with someone with experience to install this?

Any diesel shop could install this, possibly any mechanic really.

At this point I wouldn’t waste time with the disaster prevention kit I’d just get rid of the cp4 all together and put in the S&S dcr pump

At this point I wouldn’t waste time with the disaster prevention kit I’d just get rid of the cp4 all together and put in the S&S dcr pump

Can you dumb down the difference for an idiot like me? I don't remember seeing that pump previously, is it new? If so, how do we know it's any better than the Bosch/Ford pump?

I still like the DPK because it's more easily DIY-able and has a filter, whereas this new pump is still an outlier and largely unheard of in our US market for medium trucks.

Except that it is not available yet, and when it is, it will only be for 2019 and earlier for a while.

This new pump will flow like 20 or 25% more as well. I'm eventually going to tune mine and a higher flowing pump will be welcomed.

I have been using archoil additive for almost a year. I wanted to see if I could notice a difference which I can’t.
But this discussion reminds me to chime in on working on fuel station in the past where I was around to watch the workers on site get a sample of diesel. It was pretty shocking and I was not impressed by how contaminated it was, and to make things worse that was apparently normal. Who knows what’s in the diesel we pump into our trucks, wether it be a leaky gas station tank or improperly maintained filters before they get into our fuel system. Hopefully that isn’t the norm, I’m not looking forward to potential downtime and/or costs.

I have 4 in the shop as we speak, all waiting on parts. Have 2 at the house waiting on parts also, they seem to run in spells around here, kind of like they all get a bad batch of fuel somewhere as all of these have evidence of water in them. Good for techs but sucks for the customers waiting on parts. We have no ETAs on parts, 2 of them will be getting the S@S upgrade if they become avail 1st but will still have to locate all the other parts which is the hard stuff to find.

When you go to the Top Tier website to find stations with top tier fuel, neither Shell nor Chevron are listed for top tier diesel - I’ve only seen Costco basically listed as top tier diesel, which unfortunately no Costco near me in AZ offers diesel. Sucks
you must be out near me (Surprise) LOL! I've never really searched Costco, I know I-17 & 101 has it. I usually lean toward Sam's club as price is usually better & easier to get fuel...lines always seem longer at Costco.

I have 4 in the shop as we speak, all waiting on parts. Have 2 at the house waiting on parts also, they seem to run in spells around here, kind of like they all get a bad batch of fuel somewhere as all of these have evidence of water in them. Good for techs but sucks for the customers waiting on parts. We have no ETAs on parts, 2 of them will be getting the S@S upgrade if they become avail 1st but will still have to locate all the other parts which is the hard stuff to find.
Bad news. What do you see as water evidence. Filters. Pumps corrosion? Is there a common mileage or other factors that you see?.trying to stay ahead of it. Treating my fuel, drain the tank filter every month, change both filters every 10k miles..
DPK installed.

Two questions, what model year is the S&S replacement kit going to be compatible with. I thought I hear sun the video 2019 and earlier. Does not cover 20-22?

Second, will the S&S replacement kit void your Ford warranty?

Back