Truck in dealer for cp4

alexk271

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 f350 Tremor Diesel
FYI everyone... I have 52k miles on my truck. CP4 pump blew on my 2020 f350 tremor 74 mph towing my toyhauler coming back from the dunes. The truck needs new injectors, pump, lines etc. While waiting for the parts from ford, they have informed the dealer they are doing an engineering change and it will be a while before they get anything. I did confirm this a few different ways. New manufacture and new engineering. I hope the new pump design is changed for the better. This is my 5th ford 6.7 and first time the hpfp blew up ever. Just letting you all know there could be some hope from this. And yes I am aware that Dodge went back to the CP3 pump and Chevy Duramax is now running the Denso pump. Ford cannot run these pumps simple because they do not fit in the engine they are too big. The ford 6.7 was deigned with the cp4.

Out of curiosity what's your fueling practice...do you fill up at any particular brands? Do you use any additives for lubricity?

FYI everyone... I have 52k miles on my truck. CP4 pump blew on my 2020 f350 tremor 74 mph towing my toyhauler coming back from the dunes. The truck needs new injectors, pump, lines etc. While waiting for the parts from ford, they have informed the dealer they are doing an engineering change and it will be a while before they get anything. I did confirm this a few different ways. New manufacture and new engineering. I hope the new pump design is changed for the better. This is my 5th ford 6.7 and first time the hpfp blew up ever. Just letting you all know there could be some hope from this. And yes I am aware that Dodge went back to the CP3 pump and Chevy Duramax is now running the Denso pump. Ford cannot run these pumps simple because they do not fit in the engine they are too big. The ford 6.7 was deigned with the cp4.
Any idea whether these newly designed/engineered pumps were put on the 2023 models?

I only use chevron or shell.
Are we talking "busy corner on Main Street" Chevron and Shell stations, or lonely Kansas highway stations that may not have the newest fuel, or most up-to-date tanks, pumping, and filtration systems?

I only use chevron or shell.
Interesting because both are generally available with Top Tier fuel which has added lubricity. I've read many threads on various sites that claim the CP4 will last if feed diesel that has lubricity consistent with European standards. Do you add any bottled additives to your fill-up?

No additives, Im talking big chevrons and big shells. They are all over here in vegas... Highest price in town. There was no water in my fuel.

They specifically told them they cannot pull from the assembly line. At first they were releasing 150 units to the whole us.... I didnt fall under that category.... Now an enginnering change. They gave me a brand new expedition to roll around in... Just hard to tow my 12k toy hauler and 15k boat with an expedition.

Like I said.... this is my 5th ford 6.7... Same fueling practices same places... same companies...First cp4 pump down.

Hogwash. I have seen many people state that this is a very very rare occurrence. Closer to an old wives tale.

And for the gentleman above asking after additives…nonsense, none are needed. Or so I’ve been told…

I hope everyone‘s sarcasm detectors are properly calibrated!
:geek:

Now on to real talk, I have no doubt they will eventually drop the CP4 in favor of that new/old… newly packaged and almost available kit that will be put out by S&S. Caveat being, they will let all of us early adopters do their testing and due diligence for them.

It is very possible that all of the OP comments are true, but important to note that this is the internet and this is a brand new member. Hopefully it all gets worked out quick.

Hogwash. I have seen many people state that this is a very very rare occurrence. Closer to an old wives tale.

And for the gentleman above asking after additives…nonsense, none are needed. Or so I’ve been told…

I hope everyone‘s sarcasm detectors are properly calibrated!
:geek:

Now on to real talk, I have no doubt they will eventually drop the CP4 in favor of that new/old… newly packaged and almost available kit that will be put out by S&S. Caveat being, they will let all of us early adopters do their testing and due diligence for them.
The lubricity issue is real. I worked as a refinery engineer for almost 50 years and diesel in this country changed with the advent of California driven pollution laws and ULSD...one by one, each state was forced to adopt, and diesel got dry. And with every pollution driven change auto makers struggled to make their engines run with these pollution driven changes. Dry diesel (without sulfur) is tough on engine fuel components that require lubrication.

I live in Calirgornia and my local Chevron started doing the bio diesel. My understanding is that these bio blends actually have an increased lubricity again, hopefully something good finally comes out of all these emissions changes?

I live in Calirgornia and my local Chevron started doing the bio diesel. My understanding is that these bio blends actually have an increased lubricity again, hopefully something good finally comes out of all these emissions changes?
That's true. In the absence of sulfur they get lubrication (lubricity) from vegetable oils.

Interesting because both are generally available with Top Tier fuel which has added lubricity. I've read many threads on various sites that claim the CP4 will last if feed diesel that has lubricity consistent with European standards. Do you add any bottled additives to your fill-up?
When you go to the Top Tier website to find stations with top tier fuel, neither Shell nor Chevron are listed for top tier diesel - I’ve only seen Costco basically listed as top tier diesel, which unfortunately no Costco near me in AZ offers diesel. Sucks

When you go to the Top Tier website to find stations with top tier fuel, neither Shell nor Chevron are listed for top tier diesel - I’ve only seen Costco basically listed as top tier diesel, which unfortunately no Costco near me in AZ offers diesel. Sucks
That is a good point. Is it only Chevron gas that is Top Tier, while their diesel is not? I only fill up at our expensive $6.19 Chevron because thats what my work fuel card works with.

According to top tier, in my city only Costco supplies Top Tier diesel. Here you will see Chevron only specifies gas while Costco says both gas and diesel.
1681412703138.png

That is a good point. Is it only Chevron gas that is Top Tier, while their diesel is not? I only fill up at our expensive $6.19 Chevron because thats what my work fuel card works with.

According to top tier, in my city only Costco supplies Top Tier diesel. Here you will see Chevron only specifies gas while Costco says both gas and diesel.
View attachment 117760
Honestly I'm just not sure how dependable stations are with actually having TT fuels even if they list it on their pumps. And then like you noted I'm not sure about the diesel being TT too. That's why I'll continue to buy from busy name brands and add my own additives, including lubricity. I've religiously done this with all diesels I've owned and never had fuel system problem.

The lubricity issue is real. I worked as a refinery engineer for almost 50 years and diesel in this country changed with the advent of California driven pollution laws and ULSD...one by one, each state was forced to adopt, and diesel got dry. And with every pollution driven change auto makers struggled to make their engines run with these pollution driven changes. Dry diesel (without sulfur) is tough on engine fuel components that require lubrication.
We need a calibration over here stat!

I'm sorry to hear this from the OP and I hope Ford gets it resolved for you real soon. Not pile on, but this and a few other emission-related things are why I bought a 7.3L gas. If you are not towing heavy daily (10,000 to 12,000 pounds+) it just doesn't make sense to go diesel. The emissions hassle factor alone is bad enough not to mention the possible CP4 failure.

Ive asked this before, and this appears to be the first time someone on the forum with a tremor (2020-2022) mentioning a true CP4 issue, not a rumor. And yet, i’m skeptical by nature so i’m with @MichiganTremor2 here. Join the forum for one reason only, when there is an issue. Ok, we’ll listen along.

I had a friend with a CP4 failure. A friendly Ford tech claimed water in fuel and insurance covered the approximate $15k

Latest Discussions

Back