Truck Campers Only, w/ an Overland & Off-roading theme

IMG_2071.jpeg

Not a bad view to wake up to out of the front of the Supertramp…. We’re in a backcountry campsite, about 4 miles down a high clearance 4-wheel drive trail. Nestled in a valley surrounded by beautiful mountains and desert…. I love it.

IMG_2073.jpeg

Don’t worry @Optimus we got out this morning just fine! What a spot. This park is actually one of my favorites now….

Has anybody here ever heard of Hotomobil? I just came across a few videos last night and I'm intrigued. A mono fiberglass body in a light weight camper is something I've been hoping for and I keep coming up empty in my search for a truck camper that fits my desires. I was (actually still am) considering a Northern Lite, but they will most likely be right at my GVWR with all gear, and that would preclude me from being able to do stuff like mount motorcycles on the front or back, or tow my car to the track with the camper filled. The Hotomobil Gladiator XL long seems like it would be a good 1000lb under my GVWR full loaded. From a Youtube video with a Hotomobil rep I watched last night, they are out of Germany and are just starting to import these campers. At this time they are direct sales with no dealer network yet with a Houston port of entry.

1713375986476.png

Getting the camper loaded, cleaned, and prepped for its first trip since bringing it home. Moab bound Friday AM. I swear the previous owner lowered this truck, at least in the rear. We'll see how it does on some trails. I'm sure I'll be planning more upgrades when I get home...

20240417_120951.jpg

20240417_120915.jpg

Has anybody here ever heard of Hotomobil? I just came across a few videos last night and I'm intrigued. A mono fiberglass body in a light weight camper is something I've been hoping for and I keep coming up empty in my search for a truck camper that fits my desires. I was (actually still am) considering a Northern Lite, but they will most likely be right at my GVWR with all gear, and that would preclude me from being able to do stuff like mount motorcycles on the front or back, or tow my car to the track with the camper filled. The Hotomobil Gladiator XL long seems like it would be a good 1000lb under my GVWR full loaded. From a Youtube video with a Hotomobil rep I watched last night, they are out of Germany and are just starting to import these campers. At this time they are direct sales with no dealer network yet with a Houston port of entry.

View attachment 152877
Never seen or heard of them, but they look interesting…. Might be worth trying to see one in person.

Getting the camper loaded, cleaned, and prepped for its first trip since bringing it home. Moab bound Friday AM. I swear the previous owner lowered this truck, at least in the rear. We'll see how it does on some trails. I'm sure I'll be planning more upgrades when I get home...

View attachment 152881

View attachment 152882
Idk if that’s a Tremor and has had the stickers peeled? If it is doesn’t the rear end/ blocks looks like this?
IMG_0366.jpeg
IMG_0369.jpeg
IMG_0367.jpeg

This is stock Tremor suspension.

Idk if that’s a Tremor and has had the stickers peeled? If it is doesn’t the rear end/ blocks looks like this?
View attachment 153022View attachment 153023View attachment 153024
This is stock Tremor suspension.

It is a Tremor with stickers removed. I'll have to run out and grab a picture of the whole rear suspension, but I had previously measured the rear blocks which are 2.125", and it does have the overload springs. I believe the threads I've read on the 22's had said the rear blocks were over 3". Looks like yours are about 3" or so from that photo.

Now that its fully loaded (no water yet though) I'll have to take fender well measurements, but it appears to have sagged to the point that the rear is lower than front.

It is a Tremor with stickers removed. I'll have to run out and grab a picture of the whole rear suspension, but I had previously measured the rear blocks which are 2.125", and it does have the overload springs. I believe the threads I've read on the 22's had said the rear blocks were over 3". Looks like yours are about 3" or so from that photo.

Now that its fully loaded (no water yet though) I'll have to take fender well measurements, but it appears to have sagged to the point that the rear is lower than front.
Mine with my Supertramp at 1600lbs plus all my camping gear sits dead level…. I really want to add Sumo Springs to give it some stability and lift…. If they worked…

Mine with my Supertramp at 1600lbs plus all my camping gear sits dead level…. I really want to add Sumo Springs to give it some stability and lift…. If they worked…

I've been looking at Sumo Springs, Timbrens, etc. and reading all the threads but having a tough time making a decision.

I really want a set it and forget it option so trying to avoid airbags, while still gaining load support and stability. When I drove from AZ to UT after picking up the camper it did have quite a bit of sway/body roll which I was surprised by given the weight, but makes sense with the high COG relative to more typical loads of the same weight.

If anyone is interested these are the before and after measurements for my F350 Tremor from all 4 corners. These measurements are from the ground to the inside of wheel well at the highest point. Before is obviously the truck stock with 37” Toyo’s installed and after is with the Supertramp installed.

Front Driver
Before: 42.5”
After: 42.5”

Rear Driver
Before: 45.5”
After: 42 5/8”

Front Passenger
Before: 42.25”
After: 42.0”

Rear Passenger
Before: 45.0”
After: 42 5/8”

According to my CAT Scale readings the truck gained 120lbs on the front axle, and 1740lbs on the back axle.

Now that it’s fully loaded (no water yet though) I'll have to take fender well measurements, but it appears to have sagged to the point that the rear is lower than front.
Here are the measurements before and after from my truck with the ST installed.

Here are the measurements before and after from my truck with the ST installed.

Just grabbed my "after" measurements. If you factor in the extra inch you get with the 37s we are actually quite similar.

Front Driver 41"
Front Passenger 41.75"
Rear Driver 41.25"
Rear Passenger 41.5"

20240418_093148.jpg

20240418_092957.jpg

20240418_093050.jpg

20240418_093113.jpg

Additional photos showing where my overloads are at. Seems odd that they aren't even close to engaging

Forward side:
20240418_093609.jpg

Rearward side:
20240418_093617.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. You are correct on how far it will open. When the camper is on I'll have to use my hitch extension to A) keep the bike handle bars from hitting the camper and B) swing it far enough open to allow me to open the rear flatbed drawer where I keep my step ladder and camper ladder (and shovel and other stuff). I'm putting the camper back on Friday so HOPEFULLY everything clears as I expect it to.

The Bowen flatbed is nice. It has L-track recessed down both sides on top which is super convenient to bolt things to or insert tie down points. There is also L-track along the sides. I had them build a "ladder rack" attachment that matches the profile of the headache rack. Very convenient for hauling long stuff like my outrigger canoe (for example).

View attachment 152159
Nice outrigger! I cant think of a better method to get some exercise. After getting some good time in some in Hawaii I have wanted to get one in socal. Someday!

They went through a ton of effort to make it a Tremor clone if not. Lots of Tremor owners have swapped rear blocks for a reverse level, which is what it seems was done here.
Definitely a Tremor per the window sticker/VIN. Reverse level is what I'm thinking is the case- I'd have to look more into photos of other stock 22s but the blocks in my photos above look a lot like PMF's. Do the U bolt runs through the stock ones? They obviously do not on @TRAMPER's 2023.

Back