Truck Campers Only, w/ an Overland & Off-roading theme

I don't care. Talk away!

There's things about it I wish were improved too, however, I do think they have a time tested design. And when I ask myself if the things that I wish were improved are problems on older units, I can't say that they actually are...
Oh, absolutely. I totally agree. It is a proven product. Simple in a way, proven. It allows so many people to go out and adventure while bringing certain creature comforts and to be safe from the weather and other things. Good quality overall.

I just look at it from the Blockbuster/My Space angle and while I liked to see the updates, I was wondering if that will be enough or if they slowly fade away into from being a market leader to something further down the list of options for people looking for a camper - especially with higher pricing now.

I think we’re headed to Tuktoyaktuk for a
Month or so in 2025 or 2026. Got two other vehicles going but certainly have room for more if you’re interested.
Hm, that sounds very interesting. Please keep me in mind for that.

@Chris-DTA

Can we talk about your water purifier? I am looking at the pictures in your ad on expo and I can see how it is mounted and plumbed. My questions are as follows.

How is it wired? I see on the Acuva site it can be powered by 12V, how do you wire it and do you have it set to be turned on and off or is it powered all the time?

Secondly do you feel like having a second faucet is beneficial? I was thinking just running the water through it to factory installed faucet would be fine. Thoughts?

Thanks for your time!!!

I just picked up some truck bed jewelry for my Tremor! 😂

View attachment 143362

Between FWC and Mainline Overland I had a good sales and installation experience. I ordered a 2023 model, but Four Wheel Camper did some major updates to their Hawk model for 2024 so they upgraded my order for free and they allowed me to add the new 2024 options to my order. Somehow I got the first one off the production line!

I’m most excited about the new roof mounted AC unit powered by the lithium battery for this summer.

View attachment 143364

I also have the new extended cabover with underbed storage they offer only for crew cab trucks like us Tremor guys have.

View attachment 143366

They finally made the switch to Truma furnaces which kept me warm all night. Might actually need to pack a white noise machine now! 🤬

Four Wheel Campers really did a good job with the changes for this year. While there’s definitely campers with more creature comforts, I love the simplicity of how the roof lifts and the aluminum skin on frame too, and it still has just about every comfort I could ask for. For my desired uses, it feels like the right balance of ruggedness, comfort, being nimble, and repairability.

Check out my first night in the new digs in my latest video!

I’m headed to go test it out winter camping in Newfoundland and Labrador! 🥶
IMG_0694.jpeg

May I recommend looking into something like this as well? Make it a lot safer and easier to get in and out of your camper.

Last edited:
I just picked up some truck bed jewelry for my Tremor! 😂

View attachment 143362

Between FWC and Mainline Overland I had a good sales and installation experience. I ordered a 2023 model, but Four Wheel Camper did some major updates to their Hawk model for 2024 so they upgraded my order for free and they allowed me to add the new 2024 options to my order. Somehow I got the first one off the production line!

I’m most excited about the new roof mounted AC unit powered by the lithium battery for this summer.

View attachment 143364

I also have the new extended cabover with underbed storage they offer only for crew cab trucks like us Tremor guys have.

View attachment 143366

They finally made the switch to Truma furnaces which kept me warm all night. Might actually need to pack a white noise machine now! 🤬

Four Wheel Campers really did a good job with the changes for this year. While there’s definitely campers with more creature comforts, I love the simplicity of how the roof lifts and the aluminum skin on frame too, and it still has just about every comfort I could ask for. For my desired uses, it feels like the right balance of ruggedness, comfort, being nimble, and repairability.

Check out my first night in the new digs in my latest video!

I’m headed to go test it out winter camping in Newfoundland and Labrador! 🥶
Awesome video Scotty! Finding happiness is what it's all about. This isn't a dress rehearsal after all., we only go around once!

@Chris-DTA

Can we talk about your water purifier? I am looking at the pictures in your ad on expo and I can see how it is mounted and plumbed. My questions are as follows.

How is it wired? I see on the Acuva site it can be powered by 12V, how do you wire it and do you have it set to be turned on and off or is it powered all the time?

Secondly do you feel like having a second faucet is beneficial? I was thinking just running the water through it to factory installed faucet would be fine. Thoughts?

@Chris-DTA will give his input, but I've been thinking about what we want to add to our Supertramp when it gets here and Christoph and I discussed his install as he was thinking through his install. One can T into the PEX or T off the lines between the PEX and faucet hoses. For a second faucet, typically only the cold water, the benefit is you are only filtering your drinking and cooking water; Not filtering water to wash hands or take a shower which puts far fewer gallons through the filters. Also, there is a throughput (gallon per minute) limit on most filters, especially UV filters, so filtered water pressure/volume may be inadequate\unsatisfactory for some uses if 100% of your water passes through your filtration system.

12v is for the UV filter light. You can install a dedicated UV switch or tie it into the 12v power for your water pump or both. I like the idea of both. That way, the dedicated switch would typically be left on all the time and then the UV would turn on and off with the water pump switch. But, if you were going to leave the water pump switch on for extended period of time, the extra switches would give you the option to independently turn off the UV light, even when water pump was powered. Those UV lights have x amount of hours then they need to be replaced so if not needing UV filtered water from the second faucet, so it would be handy to be able to turn it off.

The other thing to consider is impact to winterization. Currently, the Supertramp plumbing is designed to fully gravity drain just by opening the tank drain and all faucets and they say no RV antifreeze is needed. I'm looking forward to this since my previous campers required pumping RV antifreeze into the plumbing (but not the drained and isolated water tank, of course). Not a huge expense or time consumer, but meant it was not as convenient to winterize and de-winterize on a moments notice or several times on the edge seasons. The most time consuming part was de-winterizing since I liked to pump a fair bit of water (20 gallons or so) through the plumbing before calling it rinsed out. But my point on winterization is that adding a water filter, or any plumbing modifications, will add an extra aspect to the winterization. Depending on how you plumb it, you may introduce low spots that are not gravity drained and require special attention to drain to avoid splitting lines and filters if water freezes.

An alternative is using a filtration system to put water into your water tank. That way, you know everything going in is safe to drink and you are not impacting winterization or max water flow. We go back and forth on what we will do. We seasonally do a water tank and plumbing chlorination cleaning and that taste can linger. In previous camper, we simply ran water into one of the filtering pitchers and kept that water pitcher filled and handy for filling drinking water bottles and cooking. We were thinking of doing a simple carbon filter for drinking water and may not bother with a UV. But ask me next week and I'll likely have changed my mind twice between now and then. Ha.

@Chris-DTA

Thanks for your time!!!

The Guzzle H20 systems are also worth considering!

@Chris-DTA

Thanks for your time!!!
I wired it straight into the water pump switch for power. Turn on the pump, you turn on the water purifier automatically. You can easily pull out the entire switch panel with a prying tool. It's almost impossible to damage anything when you do that.

The reason I wanted a second faucet was what if the water tank becomes contaminated and then runs through the faucet when I use hot water or mixed hot/cold water? Will switching to cold water coming from the Acuva be enough to wash away bacteria and viruses so that it is safe to drink? How quickly is the faucet "clean" and safe to drink from?

@Chadx mentioned it already - the water pressure can be an issue. In my 'tramp the water pressure coming from the Acuva is probably half of what comes from the main faucet. It takes significantly longer to get the same amount of water out from the filtered "faucet" (sprayer in my 'tramp). I like the second faucet - it is not in the way where I put it and it just adds peace of mind knowing that it is definitely clean drinking water.

Also, I leave the water pump on when at camp. I only turn it off when traveling. It does not use any battery power being turned on.

My new camper will have the same system. I am adding an Guzzle H2O Stream to my new camper to pre-filter from any questionable source as well as it allows me to pull water from lakes and rivers.

I wired it straight into the water pump switch for power. Turn on the pump, you turn on the water purifier automatically. You can easily pull out the entire switch panel with a prying tool. It's almost impossible to damage anything when you do that.

The reason I wanted a second faucet was what if the water tank becomes contaminated and then runs through the faucet when I use hot water or mixed hot/cold water? Will switching to cold water coming from the Acuva be enough to wash away bacteria and viruses so that it is safe to drink? How quickly is the faucet "clean" and safe to drink from?

@Chadx mentioned it already - the water pressure can be an issue. In my 'tramp the water pressure coming from the Acuva is probably half of what comes from the main faucet. It takes significantly longer to get the same amount of water out from the filtered "faucet" (sprayer in my 'tramp). I like the second faucet - it is not in the way where I put it and it just adds peace of mind knowing that it is definitely clean drinking water.

Also, I leave the water pump on when at camp. I only turn it off when traveling. It does not use any battery power being turned on.

My new camper will have the same system. I am adding a Guzzle H2O Stream to my new camper to pre-filter from any questionable source as well as it allows me to pull water from lakes and rivers.
Thank you!!! Yeah my “thought” was when it’s running cold only it would be filtered when running through the mixing valve it would be unfiltered, or rather partially filtered but so think you’re right, a separate faucet makes more sense when you think about it. Wiring to the water pump makes a lot of sense I’ll probably just copy that Idea for sure.

On your new camper you said your using the same system? With an additional Guzzle filter for filling? That’s an interesting concept and a good way to keep your potable water tank even more safe. I’ll have to look into that. Is that a portable filter that hooks inline of the filler hose? Or will it be permanently plumbed in? I’d imagine using it for filling will requires a hard hookup to force the water through the filters before entering the tank.

Is that a portable filter that hooks inline of the filler hose? Or will it be permanently plumbed in? I’d imagine using it for filling will requires a hard hookup to force the water through the filters before entering the tank.

Guzzle H2O make a variety of systems; some to filter before going into water tank and some as it comes our of water tank. They have a simple inline carbon prefilter for when filling from potable source into your water tank. But the all-inclusive portable systems are intended to make even stream and lake/pond water safe before going into the tank. Everything, including a water pump and battery, are within a heavy duty case. There is the Stream and the Overland Bundle. The Overland is the Stream plus an extra filter and a long hose to directly fill camper water tank rather than just streamside water jugs, which you then would still have to pump into your camper water tank.

Their specs show how high the water can be pumped at what rates and how long one battery charge lasts. Spendy systems but you get what you pay for as piecing together prefilter, carbon filter/housing, UV filter, wiring, hoses, clamps, case, water pump, battery, etc. would add up, plus time to design and put it all together. We personally won't need such a system, but for those that do, it's pretty slick and eliminates the need to seek out potable water at campground or in town. And traveling outside of U.S., even municipal sources can be questionable.

Those Guzzle portable systems looks amazing! @gmoon is this something you sell from your shop? I can definitely see the use in having a system like that not only for camping but for emergency use as well.

Guzzle H2O make a variety of systems; some to filter before going into water tank and some as it comes our of water tank. They have a simple inline carbon prefilter for when filling from potable source into your water tank. But the all-inclusive portable systems are intended to make even stream and lake/pond water safe before going into the tank. Everything, including a water pump and battery, are within a heavy duty case. There is the Stream and the Overland Bundle. The Overland is the Stream plus an extra filter and a long hose to directly fill camper water tank rather than just streamside water jugs, which you then would still have to pump into your camper water tank.

Their specs show how high the water can be pumped at what rates and how long one battery charge lasts. Spendy systems but you get what you pay for as piecing together prefilter, carbon filter/housing, UV filter, wiring, hoses, clamps, case, water pump, battery, etc. would add up, plus time to design and put it all together. We personally won't need such a system, but for those that do, it's pretty slick and eliminates the need to seek out potable water at campground or in town. And traveling outside of U.S., even municipal sources can be questionable.
Thank you, Chad. You brought it straight to the point. I am considering the Stream or Overland. I like the heavy-duty case, and that I can use it on a case-by-case. I want to keep things as simple as possible.

@TRAMPER @Chadx @Chris-DTA

Yes can source Guzzle H20s products! I dont have them on the site currently, but let me know what youre all interested in and I get can send over some pricing. Our van clients love the system. Their UV system is commercial grade and is rated for serious use.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, but I dont see the need for the Acuva and the Guzzle. On the topic of Guzzle's products and role, yes you can either mount their filter and UV light inside the vehicle, or you can prefilter your water before entering the tank. The flexibility of the later is great in that you can provide a solid draft from a lake/river/stream into your fresh tank. If you are not drafting, but just want to fill up from an unknown hose, you can also filter from that directly, or via an expandable bucket.

If you dont see yourself needing to draft, I would opt to permanently mount the system in my camper. I will then just put any type of water into the tank, but I know its filtered if its coming out the tap. I then just bleach my tanks 1-2 times a year depending on the frequency of my trips. Its one less thing to have to store and take out, and the amount of trips I need to draft is probably less than 2% of my annual trips.

If you want to reduce the load on your filters, adding a drinking water tap is not a bad idea. If just depends on what youre looking for!

Sidenote: For those into preparedness, going with Guzzle's Stream system does add another layer of capability even if you are away from your vehicle.

Slick. For anyone considering the same, it is imperative to ensure your GPH flow isn't too fast for your chosen UV filter. UV filtering relies on x amount of time exposure to kill the beasties, so pump size and pressure will need to be considered to give appropriately slow flow rate after passing through "straining" (paper/fiber/carbon) filters. (y)

Last edited:
Slick. For anyone considering the same, it imperative to ensure your GPH flow isn't too fast. UV filtering relies on x amount of time exposure to kill the beasties, so pump size and pressure will need to be considered to give appropriately slow flow rate after passing through "straining" (paper/fiber/carbon) filters. (y)
Correct. That UV filter he installed is a beast. 3GPM a lot faster than the Guzzle. It’s big though. But your point is well made. Everything has to be a system.

Correct. That UV filter he installed is a beast. 3GPM a lot faster than the Guzzle. It’s big though. But your point is well made. Everything has to be a system.

Leaving us hanging with no link??

I'm planning to do something along these lines. You can check out more about it here on the Engineers Who Van Life site

Basically, have two connection options to fill your tank. One is a pressurized connection, when you are filling from a reasonably trusted municipal source. Your water will still run through your filter system as you use it out of the tank.

Second connection is when you need to fill from an unpressurized source (ie, stream, lake, bucket). You flip a switch, which closes one valve, opens two others, and reconfigures your plumbing so that now your pump is pulling from the outside hose, running the water through your filters, and dumping it into your tank.

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 1.06.28 PM.jpg

The main downside is that you're then running the water through your filter twice (once when filling the tank, and once when using it from the tank). But seems like not really a big deal. This, combined with a UV treatment on the drinking water faucet at the sink seems to be a good solution. And not really that expensive to add the extra valves and switches. Maybe an extra $200 max, which is a lot cheaper than having a whole separate pump just to get water into your camper, when you have a perfectly good pump sitting right there that could do the job.

Back