Truck Campers Only, w/ an Overland & Off-roading theme

lol - yes, you had the right idea. Sorry, did not want to share the news before having a buyer for my current rig.

Ha, no worries. I wanted to wait until I had a buyer for the current rig. It'll take a bit more time before the deal is completed, but I think it is a good deal for both sides.
I hope the new guy stops by here. I’d say he easily has the most well built and thought out ST camper in existence. While i understand your particular needs the camper you built up is the best of everything. Whoever the buyer is is VERY lucky.

I hope the new guy stops by here. I’d say he easily has the most well built and thought out ST camper in existence. While i understand your particular needs the camper you built up is the best of everything. Whoever the buyer is is VERY lucky.
Not sure he will, but I did mention the forum to him already as a good resource in anything related to the Tremor and the camper.

And I appreciate your kind words about this rig and the work and effort I have put into this.

Deaver did my full suspension setup on my 2005 E350 Sportsmobile about 15 years ago. I was one of the first E350's they did and were fantastic to work with with great results. For the F250, due to time constraints, I estimated my loaded weight. I'm remounting the camper tomorrow and will probably go get weighed next week to see how close I was. If I'm close, I'll just leave it. If not, I'll live with whatever it is for my 3 months in Mexico then fine tune when I return. Jeff is absolutely great to work with at Deaver. I ordered early December (or late November) and arranged a January 3 install. He was actually ready weeks ahead of schedule but I wasn't. Carli has a 2000 lb and 3000 (or 3500 lb) spring pack and I'm guessing I'm going to be around 2500 lbs. I gave him the Carli part number for the 2000 lb pack and he upsized it for another 500 lbs. It was also a bit less expensive going direct to Deaver and I just had them do the install. These spring packs are really heavy and I'm the proverbial 140 lb weakling so didn't want to do it myself.

I'm looking forward to not hearing everything get thrown around like I have in my van for 17 years, but there will definitely be a lot of things I'll miss about the van.
Talked with Scott at Deaver today. Few interesting take aways:

I still need to finish the build and get the rear axle weight measured, but as usual Im racing against the clock. Im supposed to tow my buddies 69 Jeep Commanche down to Baja for the NORRA race at the end of April. Im already on the overload springs which hardly any travel on my rear 2.5 Carli Kings. The idea of bouncing around Baja for a week with a trailer on the back is not sounding ideal with my current spring setup.

Both the Carli XHD and XXHD progressive leaf backs for "leveled" trucks are $2830.. NOT a small number. Even more shocking was that he was thinking that whatever route I go with Deaver would be even more expensive. Are you able to share (or direct message me) what you ended up paying? I think my weights will be VERY similar to yours.

Other dilemma-- ETA of 10-12 weeks... Sounds like things have picked up since your NOV or DEC order timeframe!

Finally, are you running any rear sway bar or airbags? I'm already getting a lot of body roll even though Im just about touching the rear overload leaf. He said that I might need to consider a rear sway bar, given that the overload spring is removed when you replace with a full progressive spring kac. The new Full Travel Airbag solutions now offered through CJC look super cool but $1600 for a airbag setup, on top of the price for the progressive leafs is not something I want to tackle this quarter.

Attachments

• IMG_6375.PNG
    IMG_6375.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6376.jpg
    IMG_6376.jpg
    703.1 KB · Views: 7
@Chris-DTA waching your new video this morning before work. Looks like you’re having a great time! Thanks for making these!!

For anyone who wants to watch.

Last edited:
I just picked up some truck bed jewelry for my Tremor! 😂

1G0A1650_compressed.jpg

Between FWC and Mainline Overland I had a good sales and installation experience. I ordered a 2023 model, but Four Wheel Camper did some major updates to their Hawk model for 2024 so they upgraded my order for free and they allowed me to add the new 2024 options to my order. Somehow I got the first one off the production line!

I’m most excited about the new roof mounted AC unit powered by the lithium battery for this summer.

ac and solar_compressed.jpg

I also have the new extended cabover with underbed storage they offer only for crew cab trucks like us Tremor guys have.

underbed storage_compressed.jpg

They finally made the switch to Truma furnaces which kept me warm all night. Might actually need to pack a white noise machine now! 🤬

Four Wheel Campers really did a good job with the changes for this year. While there’s definitely campers with more creature comforts, I love the simplicity of how the roof lifts and the aluminum skin on frame too, and it still has just about every comfort I could ask for. For my desired uses, it feels like the right balance of ruggedness, comfort, being nimble, and repairability.

Check out my first night in the new digs in my latest video!

I’m headed to go test it out winter camping in Newfoundland and Labrador! 🥶

Last edited:

View attachment 143362

Between FWC and Mainline Overland I had a good sales and installation experience. I ordered a 2023 model, but Four Wheel Camper did some major updates to their Hawk model for 2024 so they upgraded my order for free and they allowed me to add the new 2024 options to my order. Somehow I got the first one off the production line!

I’m most excited about the new roof mounted AC unit powered by the lithium battery for this summer.

View attachment 143364

I also have the new extended cabover with underbed storage they offer only for double cab trucks like us Tremor guys have.

View attachment 143366

They finally made the switch to Truma furnaces which kept me warm all night. Might actually need to pack a white noise machine now! 🤬

Four Wheel Campers really did a good job with the changes for this year. While there’s definitely campers with more creature comforts, I love the simplicity of how the roof lifts and the aluminum skin on frame too, and it still has just about every comfort I could ask for. For my desired uses, it feels like the right balance of ruggedness, comfort, being nimble, and repairability.

I’d love a Hawk now with some of the updates for 24’. I was kind of on the fence about them before. Congrats sir! It looks fantastic!

I also have the new extended cabover with underbed storage they offer only for double cab trucks like us Tremor guys have.

View attachment 143366

Nice setup! Looking forward to the watching the video tonight when I have the time.

The above comment is interesting. Curious why would pickup cab size have anything to do with availability of the new underbed storage option? Thanks.
By the way, Double Cab typically refers to an extended cab and not a crew cab. In Ford SuperDuty speak, an extended cab body style is called Supercab and the Crew Cab body style is called SuperCrew.

Since many of us with campers often remove some or all of the rear seat to install a platform, thought I'd mention that I posed a question, about the seat belt faults, in the modification section if anyone is versed in seat belt faults and connectors. Thanks.

https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/how-to-fix-rear-belt-monitor-fault-after-rear-seat-removal.17322/

I’d love a Hawk now with some of the updates for 24’. I was kind of on the fence about them before. Congrats sir! It looks fantastic!
Thanks man!

I totally get it that even with the updates it's still not for everyone. And that's why there's a gazillion different truck campers out there.

Nice setup! Looking forward to the watching the video tonight when I have the time.
Sweet! I hope you enjoy.

The above comment is interesting. Curious why would pickup cab size have anything to do with availability of the new underbed storage option? Thanks.

I suppose it shouldn't, but they combined the longer cabover option (queenish size bed) with the option for underbed storage. Can't get one without the other.

By the way, Double Cab typically refers to an extended cab and not a crew cab. In Ford SuperDuty speak, an extended cab body style is called Supercab and the Crew Cab body style is called SuperCrew.

Oops! Fixed!

I suppose it shouldn't, but they combined the longer cabover option (queenish size bed) with the option for underbed storage. Can't get one without the other.

Gotcha. So the length of the cabover is longer so perhaps they are concerned about strength from the wind blast coming off a shorter cab pickup since the cabover will stick further forward on a shorter cab. Interesting.
I had a FWC Hawk on my Tundra DC and then an OEV CAMP-X (which had a queen cabover) and it didn't seem to hang too far forward. Granted, very different construction between the two. Maybe FWC is erring on the side of caution and will remove that recommendation/requirement at some point. Good info!

Pic for reference on queen cabover length on extended cab:
40.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

View attachment 143362

View attachment 143364

I also have the new extended cabover with underbed storage they offer only for crew cab trucks like us Tremor guys have.

View attachment 143366

I think it’s super cool we have two aspiring YouTuber’s on here now. Good video. My only advice on your camper and I do not own a FWC so take it for what it’s worth but I would pop the top by hand rather than the electric actuator you used. The videos I watched from FWC said that was for heavy loads like boats or a snow load on the roof when lifting it was not possible easily by hand. You do have AC on there though so maybe your roof is heavier? Anyway great video though I’ll admit I like @Chris-DTA choice in hair styles better than yours. 😂.

I think it’s super cool we have two aspiring YouTuber’s on here now. Good video. My only advice on your camper and I do not own a FWC so take it for what it’s worth but I would pop the top by hand rather than the electric actuator you used. The videos I watched from FWC said that was for heavy loads like boats or a snow load on the roof when lifting it was not possible easily by hand. You do have AC on there though so maybe your roof is heavier? Anyway great video though I’ll admit I like @Chris-DTA choice in hair styles better than yours. 😂.
lol I have to say, being bald has some advantages, but also disadvantages - especially in cold weather. Bruce Willis is my hero from that perspective :p.

Loved the video. Very entertaining. I watched a few of yours (@toximus ) since I joined the forum, but did not know your story. Do you have a video that provides more insight?

lol I have to say, being bald has some advantages, but also disadvantages - especially in cold weather. Bruce Willis is my hero from that perspective :p.

Loved the video. Very entertaining. I watched a few of yours (@toximus ) since I joined the forum, but did not know your story. Do you have a video that provides more insight?
I Bic my head daily too, so I’m probably a little biased as well. Hahaha.

Ok, FWC. Hopefully, I am not stepping on anyone's toes, but I think even though FWC stepped up their game a little bit with these improvements, but man - they seem to be pulling a Blockbuster or MySpace move here. These updates feel rushed and half-baked. Are they an improvement? Absolutely, but even Palomino and others have been using electric actuators for years now. Chadx made a good comment about the cab overhang and the under-bed storage. Again, it is great that these updates are happening and FWC are solid products, but they seem to be far behind the curve. Any potential buyer of my rig I talked to made similar comments.

I Bic my head daily too, so I’m probably a little biased as well. Hahaha.
I am sure we'll meet one day out on the trails (at least I hope we do) and it will make for a good photo opportunity :cool: and some good laughs around the campfire.

I am sure we'll meet one day out on the trails (at least I hope we do) and it will make for a good photo opportunity :cool: and some good laughs around the campfire.
I think we’re headed to Tuktoyaktuk for a
Month or so in 2025 or 2026. Got two other vehicles going but certainly have room for more if you’re interested.

but did not know your story. Do you have a video that provides more insight?

This video is from a year ago when I realized I needed a change from my job:

And then I talked about it a little more at the end of this video when I realized that I was finding happiness again:

I'm not sure I'll ever feel like going into everything in detail since it's stuff that most people can't relate to. Looking over my catalog of videos, I've realized that I've slowly been refinding myself and becoming much happier.

Hopefully, I am not stepping on anyone's toes,
I don't care. Talk away!

There's things about it I wish were improved too, however, I do think they have a time tested design. And when I ask myself if the things that I wish were improved are problems on older units, I can't say that they actually are...

Back