Tremors Towing Things

Nice trailer - can you tell a litte more about it - mfg. - do you have full bathroom up front etc. Wondering if that could be a replacement for my ATC 37' toybox?

It's a Sundowner with a 18ft (10ft on the floor) living quarter and 20ft garage.

Yup! Full bathroom with a real toilet and shower with enough headroom for tall people.

• All aluminum construction (except for the parts that can't be like the hitch coupler).
  • Designed to be self sustaining for 2 weeks boon docking in the desert.
  • Massive diesel generator runs 3 15k ACs.
  • Screen doors on every entry including the rear.
  • Microwave is also a convention oven.
  • Built in toolbox.
  • Drive over fenders (with storage inside) for buggy full width axles and big tires.
  • Lithium batteries with plenty of storage.
  • Massive water tanks.
  • Torsion over airbag suspension so I can set the ride perfect even if it's loaded or unloaded.
  • More storage space than we know what to do with.
  • Charging for my power tools.

Excuse the mess, these pictures are from when we organized everything in it for the first time a year ago.

20221215_184620.jpg

20221218_191116.jpg

20221218_191246.jpg

20221218_191459.jpg

Sundowner makes really nice trailers - enjoy it!

Good morning and thank you ALL for the generous welcome. Question, while I'm not new to towing or four wheel drive; I'm new to the Tremor suspension and larger four wheeling tires. I feel as though my F-350 "floats" when I'm driving or towing, it's a feeing of unstableness. Other members I've read also comment about this same feeling. What is this I'm feeling? My T is stock with no upgrades yet? What do I need to change, add a sway bar adjust tire pressure?

Good morning and thank you ALL for the generous welcome. Question, while I'm not new to towing or four wheel drive; I'm new to the Tremor suspension and larger four wheeling tires. I feel as though my F-350 "floats" when I'm driving or towing, it's a feeing of unstableness. Other members I've read also comment about this same feeling. What is this I'm feeling? My T is stock with no upgrades yet? What do I need to change, add a sway bar adjust tire pressure?
What's the current pressure? How heavy is your trailer/tongue weight? How long have you been driving it/new are the tires?

What's the current pressure? How heavy is your trailer/tongue weight? How long have you been driving it/new are the tires?
68lbs psi all the way around, 7K miles on the new truck. NADA sticker GVWR 12K and unknown how heavy trailer/tongue weight.

Hello and welcome to the forum! Blade is asking the right questions, but I'm going to ask a couple more that will help the folks here diagnose the problem and possible solutions.

• The language in your post seems to indicate a floaty or wandering sensation whether towing or not, is that a correct interpretation?
  • Is the truck still wearing it's factory issue Duratrac tires and if so, how many miles on the truck/tires?
  • Conventional tow or 5th/Gooseneck? Type of trailer (camper, flatbed, etc.) as well as tongue weight, trailer GVWR and as-towed weight?
  • Photos of setup?
The most common cause of issues seems to be Duratracs, either not yet broken in or just in general, and a lack of sufficient camber. There are a number of threads here about wandering steering, and the two most common suggestions are breaking in or replacing the factory tires or having a proper alignment shop add caster because theses trucks don't seem to come with enough from the factory sometimes.

HTH

Hello and welcome to the forum! Blade is asking the right questions, but I'm going to ask a couple more that will help the folks here diagnose the problem and possible solutions.

• The language in your post seems to indicate a floaty or wandering sensation whether towing or not, is that a correct interpretation?
  • Is the truck still wearing it's factory issue Duratrac tires and if so, how many miles on the truck/tires?
  • Conventional tow or 5th/Gooseneck? Type of trailer (camper, flatbed, etc.) as well as tongue weight, trailer GVWR and as-towed weight?
  • Photos of setup?
The most common cause of issues seems to be Duratracs, either not yet broken in or just in general, and a lack of sufficient camber. There are a number of threads here about wandering steering, and the two most common suggestions are breaking in or replacing the factory tires or having a proper alignment shop add caster because theses trucks don't seem to come with enough from the factory sometimes.

HTH
Yes, factory Duratrac tires 7K miles, 12K GVWR. The steering does not wander. I tow a Jayco Eagle 36 feet Fifth Wheel sometimes. I tow a dual axle cattle trailer with a scag mower from time to time. Had a overall feeling of mild jerking when pulling trailer (not liking at all). Traded my 2019 DWR F350 for the Tremor; never was an issue. How much do the Duratrac tires play into the equation?

Yes, factory Duratrac tires 7K miles, 12K GVWR. The steering does not wander. I tow a Jayco Eagle 36 feet Fifth Wheel sometimes. I tow a dual axle cattle trailer with a scag mower from time to time. Had a overall feeling of mild jerking when pulling trailer (not liking at all). Traded my 2019 DWR F350 for the Tremor; never was an issue. How much do the Duratrac tires play into the equation?
Any issues with newish Duratracs should resolve themselves within the first 2k miles so it's probably not those. I conventional tow only and have had no issues at all so am not well qualified to address 5th wheel issues but there are folks here with plenty of experience who will hopefully see these posts. They will likely ask for laden weights, tongue weight or estimation of, trailer GVWRs and perhaps photos to help understand the issues.

If I run across one or more threads that may be relevant, I'll post them in this thread or edit them into this post. Best of luck.

Any issues with newish Duratracs should resolve themselves within the first 2k miles so it's probably not those. I conventional tow only and have had no issues at all so am not well qualified to address 5th wheel issues but there are folks here with plenty of experience who will hopefully see these posts. They will likely ask for laden weights, tongue weight or estimation of, trailer GVWRs and perhaps photos to help understand the issues.

If I run across one or more threads that may be relevant, I'll post them in this thread or edit them into this post. Best of luck.
TY

Coming from a dually I am not surprised that you don't feel all that stable towing. I tow a 16.8k 5th wheel and consider it to be the limit for my Tremor - I would prefer a dually. I towed conventional with weight distribution and airbags and have seen no real issues. I do feel the Duratracs wander more than the Toyo AT III's I put on (37's) my truck. Overall you have a softer suspension and less rear track so your stability is less than your 19 DRW. I think you will get used to it with time, but the DRW set up is always better for towing larger trailers. When towing the 5th wheel weigh it if you get the chance - with mine I am well within the specs, but am over on GAWR for the rear unless I am really careful loading toy in the back.

ATC - Tremor.jpg

When I tow heavy the airbags I installed helped with stability a lot. You need to install the air lines independently on the bags to get the best effect for stability.

Coming from a dually I am not surprised that you don't feel all that stable towing. I tow a 16.8k 5th wheel and consider it to be the limit for my Tremor - I would prefer a dually. I towed conventional with weight distribution and airbags and have seen no real issues. I do feel the Duratracs wander more than the Toyo AT III's I put on (37's) my truck. Overall you have a softer suspension and less rear track so your stability is less than your 19 DRW. I think you will get used to it with time, but the DRW set up is always better for towing larger trailers. When towing the 5th wheel weigh it if you get the chance - with mine I am well within the specs, but am over on GAWR for the rear unless I am really careful loading toy in the back.

View attachment 155368
TY. Did you upgrade with any sway bars?

TY. Did you upgrade with any sway bars?
I did not add a rear sway bar. I do have a Carli torsion sway bar up front - but that gives a better ride (aka softer) so is probably no a plus for towing. I also installed a Carli E-Venture shocks with 1.5" lift when I added 37's - that allows me to stiffen the rear shock when towing which is nice. Upgrading shocks can help - and there are a number of members that added a Hellwig rear sway bar for towing stability.

Just got back from a quick Moab family trip (Eastern Colorado to Moab and back). 900 miles towing my 7.5x25x7.5 all aluminum enclosed with 5 dirt bikes and 5 mtn bikes in it, plus all our gear. Never ran anything less than 3-5 mph over the speed limit, including 83-85 on I70 in Utah. Pleased with the fuel millage for sure. Coming from a 21 F150 Ecoboost with max tow to my 23 F250 tremor with the Diesel. That same trip in the past with the exact same stuff in got about 7-7.5 mpg in the 150, did 11.4 mpg in the Tremor (computer calculated).
Doesn't seem like much until you consider right now diesel cheaper than premium AND its about 35% improved economy. Just over 11k miles on the truck at this point and my empty millage is almost exactly what my 150 did as well. Zero complaints at this point, hooking the x-star up next weekend to start boating season, that will be the real test as she's about 9000-9500 on the trailer with lead and gear in it. Have several trips planned from Missouri out to Powell. Excited to see what kind of millage she will pull compared to the ecoboost.
Also added the pressure monitors and trailer back-up camera to the trailer and it really does help out, backing up at the hotel and not worrying about pressure on the trailer for blow-outs is a peace of mind with the family on board. Had a blow-out on the xStar trailer on the way back from Powell last year in the dark and didn't realize for about 30 miles until we stopped to check things over, don't want to do that again...

Back