Tremors Towing Things

First long tow with my 7.3 Tremor, truck did very well. Towed my 392 Rubicon to Uwharrie National Forest and back for some rock crawling. I live in Eastern NC where it’s flat as a pancake. Uwharrie is an hour and a half southwest of Raleigh, NC. So a lot of the drive is the rolling hills of the Piedmont. No huge passes but plenty of up and down. About 220 miles one way from my house.

Previous truck is a deleted 2014 Ford F250 6.7. Ran a mild tow tune on it. I would average about 10.5MPG towing the same load. That’s running 70ish for a good portion of the trip and 60-65 everywhere else.

The 7.3 has plenty of power to tow the trailer with confidence. Was in 10th gear in all of the flat sections of 70mph zones. On a couple of grades the truck was definitely working, had it down to 5th gear/4K RPM when accelerating uphill in some spots but most of the steeper hills were pulled in 7th @ 3K RPM or 8th @ 2.5K RPM. On the drive to Uwharrie I tried to lock out gears ahead of the hills to get it into the powerband early but on the drive home being tired and lazy I just let the truck do its thing with the cruise control on. It would lose 2mph then downshift from 10th to 8th. If needed it would downshift again from 8th to 6th. Worked just fine.

Averaged 8.1MPG for the trip, fuel costs between my old truck and new truck for the trip are a wash. Very pleased with that! The 7.3 sounds very good under load 😎 I’ll be leaving the exhaust stock though, lots of towing in this things future. Was nervous about not going diesel this time but I’m good with my decision now. I do wish the 48 gallon gas tank was an option on short bed trucks! If someone gets the DTE issue figured out on the 23’/24’ trucks I may buy the TransferFlow 58 gallon tank. Until then though I’ll deal with the 225-250 mile towing range 😅

Trailer is 4K pounds (20’ PJ F8 14K Deckover) and the Jeep is right around 7K pounds with the one ton axles & 40s. So 11K combined. Burned 87 octane for this trip.

IMG_4271.jpeg

IMG_4285.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to tow something other than my 4x8 utility trailer today.
It confirmed my worst fear, total regret getting 7.3L gas engine. Wishing I'd got the diesel the whole way.

LOL, JK. Truck towed it fantastic, no problems at all. 12k lbs and it purred like a kitten the whole way up to the cabin.
Spent the day pulling down trees with the excavator. Tomorrow we tear down the old cabin to make way for the new one.

PXL_20240411_211738453.jpg

It confirmed my worst fear, total regret getting 7.3L gas engine. Wishing I'd got the diesel the whole way.
You got me there. I actually thought you felt that way at first and got very concerned thinking that was all it took. I was going to say my 7.3 wouldn't blink at that.

Well done, well done. 🍻

Tis the season, so hooked up my biggest trailer (24' + V-nose cargo/car hauler) to move some mowers & dirt machines around. Only about 3/4 ton payload max this time so as expected, no drama, no sway, no problems. 💙 my Tremor!

Trem-S24_1.jpg

Trem-S24_2.jpg

So far no matter what I tow the Tremor is just awesome - although my 5th wheel is at the limit of the truck and I would not recommend a Tremor for towing a larger 5th wheel - even mine with 16.8k GVWR is really more than SRW can take. Love this truck.
IMG_5524.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5291.jpg
    IMG_5291.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2719.jpg
    IMG_2719.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 44
  • Fathers Day 2 (4).jpg
    Fathers Day 2 (4).jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 54
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    363.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5119.jpg
    IMG_5119.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2818.jpg
    IMG_2818.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Gorons Wells.jpg
    Gorons Wells.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1935.jpg
    IMG_1935.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 49
So far no matter what I tow the Tremor is just awesome - although my 5th wheel is at the limit of the truck and I would not recommend a Tremor for towing a larger 5th wheel - even mine with 16.8k GVWR is really more than SRW can take. Love this truck. View attachment 153642
Is that an H&H flatbed? I love how they did the side rails.

Is that an H&H flatbed? I love how they did the side rails.
The one with the Pro R on it is a Vimetal Trailer - they are out of Mexicali Mexico - they build a lot of race trailers for offroad racers and big sand rails - they have a series of models - lots of options to choose from and will pretty much do anything you ask them to do. You order what you want - they send you a cad drawing with your trailer and all its options, you sign off and a few months later they deliver you a trailer on US side of the border.

Link: https://www.vimetalracetrailers.com/

The other one with the flat deck is a MFG. from orange county that is no longer in business - they went out in 2007. Can't remember the name.

Last edited:
Back