Tremors Towing Things

20260806_151732.webp
 
Trailer nearly fully loaded. 10,300 payload, and the bobcat and tools probably weigh 10k. It was interesting to watch tire temps. 105° outdoor, with this load, fully inflated, tires still got to 160°.View attachment 266550
Well, damn and I got concerned when the camper tires got into the high 140s
 
Well, damn and I got concerned when the camper tires got into the high 140s


This here topic is good timing. I was just this morning having a little convo w/ my Go0gle brower's AI agent (a thing, not a person obviously) (I'm new at this) about a load inflation table for my gonna-be-new-next-week trailer! and immediate interstate travel in 105* heat. It said:

"* Set it in the Morning: Adjust all four NoBo tires to 50 PSI first thing in the morning at the dealership while the trailer is parked in the shade and hasn't been towed yet. [3, 11]
* Expect the TPMS Alerts: Since you are setting up a brand-new TPMS, ensure the dealer sets the High-Pressure Alarm threshold to at least 65–68 PSI. If they leave it at a default automotive setting, the monitor will scream at you on the highway simply because the tires are doing their normal job of expanding in the desert heat.
* Watch the Temps: On your TST monitor, use the temperature toggle. If all four tires are running at a uniform temperature (typically between 120°F and 140°F when cruising in 104°F ambient weather), your rig is perfectly healthy."


In my trucks I use as my default dash info display my four tire pressures. I have for years. I get to watch them go from 40 (my Cold Inflation Pressure) when not towing to 48+ psi in the heat when towing my 2400 lb single axle w/ it's 300 lbs tongue weight (yeah, yeah, no WDH there! haha)

Anyhoo...
 
I'm kinda jokin' as always.

A tire in direct sun, one in shade, etc... all affects what pressures I see on my lil' truck.
 
I was too. Pressured went from 80 to 90. Three tires were 150, and the 4th 160 max temp. Will have to keep an eye on the odd tire out.
I’ve seen variation like that myself. It’s weird. I chalked it up to the brakes taking the next click in adjustment giving a little drag. Do keep an eye on it.
 
Can we monitor tire temps for the truck???



^ ^ ^ D'oh! No, we can't. I'm a do0fus.

:ROFLMAO:

I guess what I was "tryna" extrapolate like I always do increases in running tire pressures to the rule of thumb being 1 psi for every 10* increase in temp (either ambient or tire, whichever be greater?).
 
That's a big one!!! Very cool.
 
Holy smokes, Drewski, that IS impressive. 🏁

There must be a legitimate reason we're seeing the levelers or stabilizers halfway down. wassup w/ that?

What a stinking gorgous! rig. Man!
 
Camper picture from the Moab trip with my buddy back in March. Wheeling with a 18,000lb fifth wheel is fun. I suppose that's the whole point of the offroad Super Duty though.

20260331_122821.webp


Picked up this gooseneck and used it the first day to haul away the truck it replaced. The trailer is about 8200 lbs empty and the truck was around 11K.

20260803_182933.webp


Trip down to Badlands Offroad park last weekend with a couple friends. It's actually cheaper for me to just buy the trailer and only take 1 truck places than it is for us to take 3 trucks with current fuel prices.

20260816_142314.webp
 
Last edited:
^ ^ ^ That's a tough act to follow! 😝


Just picked up a new '26 No Boundaries (Forest River) Model 19.6 "Beast Mode" - pardon the gimmicky name but it includes Curt Manufacturing's rendition of the Australian tubular trailing arm-and-coil-spring design and each (4 making a 2-axle setup) is dual-shocked. The dampers Curt fits are not expected by me to last long, so hopefully once I suss out their dimensions I might find a quality aftermarket damper as a replacement.

Meanwhile, it was 110* F when I rolled out of the RV dealer (RV Ready in Elsinore, CA) to head north on 1-15 towards my destination of southern Utah.

Since I was scheduled for pickup and walk-through so late in the morning at 11 a.m. I had ready anticipated leaving the dealer in the early afternoon so did not plan to make my destination in one haul.

I stopped instead at Calico Ghost Town's RV park and hooked up power, there, for A/C since it was 109* at 6PM when I rolled in to start looking for a suitable spot.

IMG_9979.webp





Next morning, hooked up again and ready to roll -


IMG_9980.webp


Trailer has a 6598 lb GVWR and a dry weight of 5084. That's pretty light! and the Godzilla had no trouble at all. Barely breaks a sweat, save for the ambient temps giving it difficult conditions to drive in with keeping an eye on tires.



Baker for a bfast quesadilla from the Mad Greek (ain't what it used to be, but at least it's still there)

IMG_9993.webp






Coming into Mesquite, NV, on my way to head up the Virgin River gorge

IMG_9995.webp


IMG_9994.webp





Landed, just north of Cedar City in a nice, small town RV HOA

IMG_9996.webp




Trailer tows nicely with it's 650-700 lbs hitch weight and no WDH, but any more on the rear and I'd want to use a suitable WDH but as light torsion as I could. Just a lil' bit, see.

Next trip is in three weeks! and will be headed to Moab to meet up w/ some of the fellers here on FT.c!

🏁
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9995.webp
    IMG_9995.webp
    172.4 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom