Tremors Towing Things

First pull after ~1100 miles breaking in. Getting ready for a long trip to the SE in March. How's the level look to you guys? This is no cargo or water, so I thought the nose could be slightly up.

First pull 20230205.webp
 
First pull after ~1100 miles breaking in. Getting ready for a long trip to the SE in March. How's the level look to you guys? This is no cargo or water, so I thought the nose could be slightly up.

View attachment 111900
I would be looking for the trailer to be "level" - looks to be about 1.5" nose high. I would drop the hitch down to level the trailer front to back. You should be looking to have at least 10% of trailer weight on your tongue weight - but closer to 15% will help eliminate sway - especially with no load leveling or sway system attached.

Truck looks pretty level as is - so I would get your full load in, adjust your hitch until your trailer is level, then see if you have added squat in truck. If after you adjust and load up truck looks like it does now - you should be good to go! If not add a load level and sway system and you will be able to reduce the squat and move more weight to your trucks front wheels.

Taking the time to get it set up will be well worth it over your journey. Enjoy your trip!
 
Usually the fresh water tank is above the axles, so that won't impact you much. I would put the nose of the trailer down a bit if you can and see what it looks like then. Measure the front of the frame to the ground and the back of the frame to the ground and try to get them equal, on flat ground. The issue really has to do with the back of the trailer being too low and hitting things backing into steep campsites, steep driveways, etc.
 
  • Like
Reactions: VB!
I would be looking for the trailer to be "level" - looks to be about 1.5" nose high. I would drop the hitch down to level the trailer front to back. You should be looking to have at least 10% of trailer weight on your tongue weight - but closer to 15% will help eliminate sway - especially with no load leveling or sway system attached.

Truck looks pretty level as is - so I would get your full load in, adjust your hitch until your trailer is level, then see if you have added squat in truck. If after you adjust and load up truck looks like it does now - you should be good to go! If not add a load level and sway system and you will be able to reduce the squat and move more weight to your trucks front wheels.

Taking the time to get it set up will be well worth it over your journey. Enjoy your trip!
Thanks! You've got a good eye, one inch down on the hitch moved the trailer frame corners to within a half inch of each other.
 
Usually the fresh water tank is above the axles, so that won't impact you much. I would put the nose of the trailer down a bit if you can and see what it looks like then. Measure the front of the frame to the ground and the back of the frame to the ground and try to get them equal, on flat ground. The issue really has to do with the back of the trailer being too low and hitting things backing into steep campsites, steep driveways, etc.
Good point on the angle of departure, thanks.
 
looks fine to me doesnt need to be perfectly level to tow good
Kinda what the hitch guy said to me. He looked at the truck and said, what are you worried about?
 
What do you think of your RPM? Appears to have decent box clearance on the neck.
I haven’t had any problems. It is a little tight when backing up and the tail gate is down. Like real tight. I’ll try to snag some pictures. Also the rear gate doesn’t like to stay down when loading and unloading so you have to rock the sleds a touch to get them on or have someone stand on it.
 
This is the first pull after buying this truck. We went from Las Vegas to Hurricane UT for a few days camping. I had been pulling this with my F150 with the 2.7l. This truck didn't even know the trailer was there, never dropping below 9th gear while climbing into UT.
Tremor and Alpha Wolf.jpg
 

Attachments

  • Camper in Snow.webp
    Camper in Snow.webp
    358.7 KB · Views: 49
For anybody that may be interested I just realized while on the Ford Vehicle support page for my truck, that they have an active button now for the vehicle specific Towing Calculator. This page is VIN specific. Here's a link:


View attachment 112159
Nice I also got a email yesterday with the link to try their new towing calculator. Finally Ford is offering a tool similar to the Ram with Vin specific towing and payload numbers.
9BBF8AC9-A23D-4B2B-9957-4A471416F3EC.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom