Tremors and Campers let's talk camping!!

Love the setup! My wife has been hounding me to get an Airstream.
My wife and I always wanted one back when we were younger, broke and all we could afford to do is tent camp.
 
We've found the camper we want to buy, which is a Keystone Carbon 338, but have been holding off at the moment due to some uncertainty around some medical stuff and the expense of sending our son off to college next Spring (meanwhile, the salesman at the camper dealership sure likes to keep reminding me that "interest rates will be going up soon", sigh). This weekend, though, we're borrowing my parents' 26 ft Winnebago Minnie Pro and taking it camping next week.

I just bought a WeighSafe 180 (8" drop) hitch in prep for this. It was a good excuse to stop putting off buying a 2.5" hitch for the Tremor. My dad was a little worried that I don't have a weight distribution hitch to pull his camper, but that thing grosses at about 1000 lb less than my truck, so I'm guessing a regular hitch will do just fine. I am, however, a total n00b at towing anything, so it'll be a learning experience no matter what.

-SR-
 
We've found the camper we want to buy, which is a Keystone Carbon 338, but have been holding off at the moment due to some uncertainty around some medical stuff and the expense of sending our son off to college next Spring (meanwhile, the salesman at the camper dealership sure likes to keep reminding me that "interest rates will be going up soon", sigh). This weekend, though, we're borrowing my parents' 26 ft Winnebago Minnie Pro and taking it camping next week.

I just bought a WeighSafe 180 (8" drop) hitch in prep for this. It was a good excuse to stop putting off buying a 2.5" hitch for the Tremor. My dad was a little worried that I don't have a weight distribution hitch to pull his camper, but that thing grosses at about 1000 lb less than my truck, so I'm guessing a regular hitch will do just fine. I am, however, a total n00b at towing anything, so it'll be a learning experience no matter what.

-SR-
IMO, Interest rates are relatively irrelevant. You can always refinance if they drop dramatically.

Also IMO, why risk it, use a WD hitch w/a camper. Last thing you want is excess movement getting the best of the truck and damaging things. ...especially w your family on board.
 
IMO, Interest rates are relatively irrelevant. You can always refinance if they drop dramatically.

Also IMO, why risk it, use a WD hitch w/a camper. Last thing you want is excess movement getting the best of the truck and damaging things. ...especially w your family on board.
I told my Travel Trailer dealer that I am a rookie regarding hauling anything.
I told her, safety is the highest priority for me and she didn't hesitate and ordered for me a reliable and correct sized WD.
 
but that thing grosses at about 1000 lb less than my truck
It is not just the weight of a travel trailer that matters but more importantly how it is distributed and the side area. Some of those Minnie's have a 26' liveable area, making them closer to 29-30' overall. Light weight and large sidewall area actually may make the trailer sway in a strong crosswind worse. Having a heavier tow vehicle is a good thing as it will lessen the chance of trailer sway turning into a path altering event... Make sure you have enough tongue weight for how the trailer is loaded for your trip. The Weighsafe is a good choice to help with this.

Taking things slow and easy will help a lot, especially since you admittedly are new to towing. I am in the same situation with TTs but have alot of other trailer experience (boats, cargo, car hauler, atv, utility, etc). Even with that when we get ours I will have a weight distribution hitch with some form of sway mitigation.

Have fun on your trip and stay safe!
 
I just took a look.

While they look amazing its certainly not what I am after. Those look like more of a destination trailer.

The Black Series can be towed up mountains and through rivers. I hate that Black Series has made me have tunnel vision. Other Than The Bruder, Ive yet to find a better off road worthy trailer option.
just came across bruder, that thing is pretty impressive
 
just came across bruder, that thing is pretty impressive
When I see the very impressive price starting at $140.000 USD

PRICED FROM $209,900 AUD EX GST / $230,890 AUD INC GST​

I am very fast "back to earth".
 
just came across bruder, that thing is pretty impressive
Before you get a Black Series be sure you know what you are getting into with them. Talk to me if you wish and I can give you a lot of information.

Also, take a look at the new Xplore X145 and X195 from Imperial. And the Roamer1 from ROA (based on the X195).
 
IMO, Interest rates are relatively irrelevant. You can always refinance if they drop dramatically.

Also IMO, why risk it, use a WD hitch w/a camper. Last thing you want is excess movement getting the best of the truck and damaging things. ...especially w your family on board.

I told my Travel Trailer dealer that I am a rookie regarding hauling anything.
I told her, safety is the highest priority for me and she didn't hesitate and ordered for me a reliable and correct sized WD.

It is not just the weight of a travel trailer that matters but more importantly how it is distributed and the side area. Some of those Minnie's have a 26' liveable area, making them closer to 29-30' overall. Light weight and large sidewall area actually may make the trailer sway in a strong crosswind worse. Having a heavier tow vehicle is a good thing as it will lessen the chance of trailer sway turning into a path altering event... Make sure you have enough tongue weight for how the trailer is loaded for your trip. The Weighsafe is a good choice to help with this.

Taking things slow and easy will help a lot, especially since you admittedly are new to towing. I am in the same situation with TTs but have alot of other trailer experience (boats, cargo, car hauler, atv, utility, etc). Even with that when we get ours I will have a weight distribution hitch with some form of sway mitigation.

Have fun on your trip and stay safe!

I don't have any intention of purchasing a WD hitch for a camper that I will probably never tow more than once or twice with my truck, but I could always get an 2.5"-to-2.0" adapter and use my dad's WD hitch, except I don't think there is enough drop to get the camper level when hooked to the back of my truck. Pick your poison, I guess.

-SR-
 
When I see the very impressive price starting at $140.000 USD

PRICED FROM $209,900 AUD EX GST / $230,890 AUD INC GST​

I am very fast "back to earth"
they are all pricey airstreams are starting near 140 for 25-27ft
 
they are all pricey airstreams are starting near 140 for 25-27ft
I was interested in an Airstream, too but the price kept me away.

Flying Cloud Starting at $94,400 Sleeps: 8 | Length: 23′ to 30′​

This was my favorite Flying Cloud 27FB​

until I saw the starting price:

Starting at $115,500​

Now I am getting a Outdoor RV Backcountry 24KRS (y)
Also not cheap but quality shall be outstanding and it's a real 4season camper.
 
I was interested in an Airstream, too but the price kept me away.

Flying Cloud Starting at $94,400 Sleeps: 8 | Length: 23′ to 30′​

This was my favorite Flying Cloud 27FB​

until I saw the starting price:

Starting at $115,500​

Now I am getting a Outdoor RV Backcountry 24KRS (y)
Also not cheap but quality shall be outstanding and it's a real 4season camper.
That is a very nice camper! 👍
 
We've found the camper we want to buy, which is a Keystone Carbon 338, but have been holding off at the moment due to some uncertainty around some medical stuff and the expense of sending our son off to college next Spring (meanwhile, the salesman at the camper dealership sure likes to keep reminding me that "interest rates will be going up soon", sigh). This weekend, though, we're borrowing my parents' 26 ft Winnebago Minnie Pro and taking it camping next week.

I just bought a WeighSafe 180 (8" drop) hitch in prep for this. It was a good excuse to stop putting off buying a 2.5" hitch for the Tremor. My dad was a little worried that I don't have a weight distribution hitch to pull his camper, but that thing grosses at about 1000 lb less than my truck, so I'm guessing a regular hitch will do just fine. I am, however, a total n00b at towing anything, so it'll be a learning experience no matter what.

-SR-
I had my first time towing a travel trailer a month ago. Used my b&w tow and stow so no weight distribution/sway control. 500 miles round trip including moutain passes and city rush hour, towed great and never had any sway or issues. I was cognizant of how I loaded the trailer and put all the heavy stuff in the bed of the truck. Trailer was just over 30 ft and about 6500 dry weight.

I was super anxious with it being my first time towing any distance and more weight than a ski boat but the truck made it effortless.

Now if I start towing more often I'll probably get a fancy hitch with wdh and sway control just for additional safety but wouldn't hesitate to travel without it.
 
Lake McConaughy, Nebraska got me this year. I was more prepared too :mad::LOL:. Last year I made it no problem. This year I disconnected the weight distribution. I can’t remember if I did last year or not. I had tires at 25psi (worked last year). I wonder if I would of had more weight on the front if it would have helped with the weight distribution hooked up. Probably would of tore something up though. I wish I could remember if I disconnected last year or not. Anyways here are a couple pics!
9D091B39-DBDD-4293-9E1C-74477557839F.webp
423010EA-974F-44E7-9538-6ED514CADDF1.webp
7C80618A-E9DD-4A81-A4C2-36BDDDA35BED.webp
 
I was interested in an Airstream, too but the price kept me away.

Flying Cloud Starting at $94,400 Sleeps: 8 | Length: 23′ to 30′​

This was my favorite Flying Cloud 27FB​

until I saw the starting price:

Starting at $115,500​

Now I am getting a Outdoor RV Backcountry 24KRS (y)
Also not cheap but quality shall be outstanding and it's a real 4season camper.
Might have to look at that. I want a 4 season. I was set on the International my friend got a 15 or 16 for 67 a few years ago. Thought they were at 140 now. I like the one with the hatch door on the end. I just need to be richer
 
I don't have any intention of purchasing a WD hitch for a camper that I will probably never tow more than once or twice with my truck, but I could always get an 2.5"-to-2.0" adapter and use my dad's WD hitch, except I don't think there is enough drop to get the camper level when hooked to the back of my truck. Pick your poison, I guess.

-SR-
I spent $80 on a 2.5" shank w/a 10" drop and used the WD head I was using on my previous truck.

I had my first time towing a travel trailer a month ago. Used my b&w tow and stow so no weight distribution/sway control. 500 miles round trip including moutain passes and city rush hour, towed great and never had any sway or issues. I was cognizant of how I loaded the trailer and put all the heavy stuff in the bed of the truck. Trailer was just over 30 ft and about 6500 dry weight.

I was super anxious with it being my first time towing any distance and more weight than a ski boat but the truck made it effortless.

Now if I start towing more often I'll probably get a fancy hitch with wdh and sway control just for additional safety but wouldn't hesitate to travel without it.
To each his own....but you can get into a really good quality Husky Centerline trunnion style WD hitch w shank for less than $600-700 depending on load requirements. At the top end of that range they can handle up to 14k lbs. Thats hardly "fancy" when you consider what we're all spending on our trucks and campers.

Truthfully I have no probs pulling my camper around without a WD hitch. I do it all the time to and from storage, my shop, and my house. All hwy and back roads, and never had a bad experience. I just don't risk it when traveling long distances fully loaded and w my family.
 
Last edited:
Lake McConaughy, Nebraska got me this year. I was more prepared too :mad::LOL:. Last year I made it no problem. This year I disconnected the weight distribution. I can’t remember if I did last year or not. I had tires at 25psi (worked last year). I wonder if I would of had more weight on the front if it would have helped with the weight distribution hooked up. Probably would of tore something up though. I wish I could remember if I disconnected last year or not. Anyways here are a couple pics!View attachment 60001View attachment 60002View attachment 60003
How did you get out? Were the trailer tires aired down too? Was the diff locked? I'm wondering too if the WDH might have helped, but I have no idea.

After those things, I bet it was just a matter of going too slow, but that sand looks very soft.

I carry a Fortress aluminum anchor for these kinds of situations. Haven't had to use it yet, but I have it. They can be disassembled and stowed easily too.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DIG
Back
Top Bottom