Transfer Flow 58 gallon replacement tanks are finally being sold and installed!!!!

For those who don't know, last year I created a survey to show transfer flow that there is a market for a replacement extended fuel tank in the gas super duty lineup. Currently you can only get a transfer tank in the bed of the truck, not a tank that will replace the OEM gas tank. Transfer flow was impressed by the overwhelming positive response and started designing a tank. I just received an email from my contact at transfer flow this morning, and the tank is finished! They have a date with the CARB, which have to approve the tank for use in California, where Transfer Flow is headquartered, before production can begin.

The tank is 58 gallons and fits crew cab short bed trucks. They said a different tank would have to be designed for crew cab long beds and other configurations. They do plan a crew cab long bed tank, it is unclear if that would be larger than 58 gallons. The tank should be about $2,000, but the final price is not set yet.

Edit: forgot to put that they are hoping to release by April.

Thank you to everyone who responded to the initial survey, it worked!
Following. I am very curious about extending the range on the 7.3 Gasser

great news thanks

The 176" option for $200 gets you 16 extra inches and 14 extra gallons, gotta drive a non-Tremor school bus... Choices 🤷‍♂️🚌

I mean, it's not all bad...
f350LBtremorEDIT.jpg

This makes the S&B tank look like a bargain :D

Glad you gas folks are getting the tank Ford should've had from factory.
What is the difference between this and the S&B for a Diesel?
Honestly, I'd go with the one that has the better gal/ground clearance ratio.

What is the difference between this and the S&B for a Diesel?
Honestly, I'd go with the one that has the better gal/ground clearance ratio.
I'm sure someone smarter than I will chime in here, but it is my understanding that diesel tanks and regular gas tanks are not the same due to the addition of scrubbers and evaporative emission control equipment in the tank of gassers which reduces smog and the chances of explosion.

I'm sure someone smarter than I will chime in here, but it is my understanding that diesel tanks and regular gas tanks are not the same due to the addition of scrubbers and evaporative emission control equipment in the tank of gassers which reduces smog and the chances of explosion.
Correct. And, the S&B tank is rotomolded HDPE plastic whereas Transfer flow is metal.

• Wow
Reactions: ccw
Transfer flow is metal.
Now we're talking. I was a bit skeptical about the shield plates (they looked thin) I've seen to cover tanks that had lower ground clearance than factory for offroad applications. Metal sounds better with that regard.

Now we're talking. I was a bit skeptical about the shield plates (they looked thin) I've seen to cover tanks that had lower ground clearance than factory for offroad applications. Metal sounds better with that regard.
Metal has other drawbacks, but if you have a 7.3L, it's the only tank available.

What are you foreseeing, besides the weight? Something with gas/vapors & temperature?

For off road metal is good and bad depending on what your doing. Sharp objects can puncture metal where plastic will deflect. rough objects and slides will abrade through plastic faster. most people don't rock crawl a super duty so i can see metal being better.

What are you foreseeing, besides the weight? Something with gas/vapors & temperature?
My immediate thought is rust being a big downside to metal long-term, as I suspect it will be steel, not aluminum. And if it's aluminum then I would be worried about it being too weak.

Plastic seems like a good balance for everything where you aren't going to be regularly impacting it.

What they've been using so far is "12-gauge ReliaSteel®, high-yield U.S. aluminized steel".

• Winner
Reactions: ccw
What they've been using so far is "12-gauge ReliaSteel®, high-yield U.S. aluminized steel".
Well that's cool! Had no idea that sort of thing existed!

For those who also hadn't heard of it, here's an article explaining it:

Aluminized steels are steels that have been hot-dip coated with pure aluminum or aluminum-silicon alloys. This hot-dip coating process is termed hot-dip aluminizing (HAD). Through hot-dip aluminizing, ordinary steels are given more superior surface properties that are comparable to that of more expensive materials such as stainless steel.

Given that, I'm going to revert my answer to "I don't understand enough about this topic to have an opinion and I'll defer to the engineers designing these things". :p

I mean, it's not all bad...
View attachment 43656
I got an XLT because I'm cheap. Bigger tank was a must, 34gal wasn't going to cut it, and sure wasn't going to spend $2500 on a bigger tank when I could get one for $200. I actually am liking the long bed and find driveability to be fine, but I don't exactly zip around in parking lots. Yours looks a lot more like a Tremor than mine, I like the blackout look, but I'm also sucker for some chrome.
PXL_20211210_225734922.MP.jpg

I got an XLT because I'm cheap. Bigger tank was a must, 34gal wasn't going to cut it, and sure wasn't going to spend $2500 on a bigger tank when I could get one for $200. I actually am liking the long bed and find driveability to be fine, but I don't exactly zip around in parking lots. Yours looks a lot more like a Tremor than mine, I like the blackout look, but I'm also sucker for some chrome.
View attachment 43693

Seems to me the difference is far greater than $200, there's the whole 'Tremor' thing to account for.
It's kind of a big deal around here.

So Calif is banning RV camping and Food trucks by doing away with gas generators, not to mention lawn care equipment and all the home owners who have gas generators for backup power

That’s insane
The ban is on new engines. Not ones in service. But who is to stop you from going to Arizona buying one and bring it back to CA?

Back