Tremor wanders

antoniodef

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2023 F350 XLT Tremor 7.3
I love my 350 XLT Tremor. Looks awesome with stock lift and tires, inside is loaded compared to what I’m used to. I have driven many HD trucks. Still have a 20 XL 250 6.2. Had a 21 Sierra gasser.

But my Tremor handles like garbage at higher speeds. Wanders all over the road. I live in a rural area, so 75mph down country roads is normal. I also pull 7k trailers daily, and that is dicey at about 60. My wife noticed it, one of my guys who drove it said same thing (construction company).

My 20 F250 is nowhere near as bad. In fact, it is actually enjoyable on the expressway. But the 6.2 is a dog compared to the 7.3.

Anyone else think the same? I’m ready to get a GM or pre 2023 Superduty.

Attachments

• IMG_8332.jpeg
    IMG_8332.jpeg
    615.6 KB · Views: 78
A few people here stated the same thing about the wandering. I wouldnt be surprised if most of your issues is the garbage duratacs. I would try a LT305/70 R18 or a 35x12.50 my opinion is the stock tires are too skinny for the truck.

There are many threads about this. Most are are about modified trucks, but the same applies to stock trucks. Caster caster caster caster and more caster. It seems that many Super Duty trucks leave the factory with not enough of it. Take your truck to a real alignment shop (not a dealer) and look at the numbers. Find a way with shims or whatever to add 2 degrees or so of caster.

Some will tell you it is the Duratracs and maybe that is a contributing factor, but I would start with an alignment shop.

Try lowering tire pressure and see how it feels. Other options to replace tires. Same feedback from 2020 to present

There are many threads about this. Most are are about modified trucks, but the same applies to stock trucks. Caster caster caster caster and more caster. It seems that many Super Duty trucks leave the factory with not enough of it. Take your truck to a real alignment shop (not a dealer) and look at the numbers. Find a way with shims or whatever to add 2 degrees or so of caster.

Some will tell you it is the Duratracs and maybe that is a contributing factor, but I would start with an alignment shop.

Do you have a link to any of these threads? Didn't find them in the search. I'd love to hear what others did. I don't have the patience to try a bunch of things, I'd rather see what some have done and works or just get something different. I'd have to imagine it has more to do with the Tremor package than the new style for 23 (I would hope).

The stock Duratracs do wander when they’re new and improve after a few thousand. Caster also helps

As was mentioned, these trucks are delivered with insufficient caster. Wandering, death wobble, tire sensitivity, component wear, etc can be corrected by adding 2 degrees of positive caster. There are a couple different ways to accomplish this. I think the simplest is to replace the upper ball joint shims.

2024 stock tremor. Haven't noticed any wandering. Was a little "different" when I first picked it up but it was the largest truck I've had so far heightwise. At almost 8k miles now and it is just another truck to me. Haven't changed tires or anything else for that matter other than adding the ARE campershell 🤷

Do you have a link to any of these threads? Didn't find them in the search. I'd love to hear what others did. I don't have the patience to try a bunch of things, I'd rather see what some have done and works or just get something different. I'd have to imagine it has more to do with the Tremor package than the new style for 23 (I would hope).
Here's one recent discussion.

And here is a lengthy discussion:

Mine did the same thing. Noticed it started to settle down around 1500 miles, and now around 2000 it seems to be gone altogether

Assuming your truck has less than 1500 miles on it…

If by “wander” you mean it takes more input to keep centered than you’re used to going down the road, then you may need castor shims.

If by “wander” you mean “holy sh*t someone might call and report me as a drunk on the road”, then you may just need drop your pressures down to 55 or 60 PSI all-around and give the Duratracs until 1,000 or 1,500 miles to break in.

I know the latter sounds bizarre, but it is true. These trucks when new with fresh Duratracs are a very goofy thing. Borderline unsafe, honestly.

My 2022 off the lot had me wanting to return it after a day or two for exactly what you describe. Wife drove it and hated it. But 5k miles in, it was all good... so I blame the tires. It was miserable though, tracked where you set the wheel, no centering, and constant adjustments to keep it between the ditches.

At 35k, replaced the duraturds with falkens and saw none of the same issues return with new rubber.

I personally believe the wandering is caused mainly by stock goodyears. When I replaced my tires with a different brand wandering went away.

It's not the miles, just the tread design in my opinion.

Mine were at 66 in rear and 62 in front from the dealer. Just deflated to 55 front and 60 rear and it handles much better.

Back