Tell me about your favorite whiskey or bourbon

I am working with a much smaller space, but am looking to do a double tap setup. How is yours set? I am going to be placing my Humidor above on one side and glasses on the other above.

My other option is not at all, so offsetting the fridge is my best play and least intrusive repair down the road.

View attachment 119740

Here’s a broader view. The kegerator slides under the counter. I’m fairly pleased w/it.
I wish I had planned a spot for the humidor, but at the time wasn’t into cigars (yet). Now my small/cheap humidor is sitting in the corner across the room.
By the way, anyone who hasn’t tried the Stranahan’s Diamond Peak should give it a shot. Maybe I do have a favorite after all…for tonight.

IMG_3304.jpeg

Stranahan's has been a favorite of mine for a long time now. Camping out for a bottle of Snowflake is on my bucket list.

View attachment 28108
I live in CO and still haven’t camped out for Snowflake, yet. Although I have tried it once when a friend shared some of theirs (don’t remember what year it was from).
Find the Diamond Peak if you can. It’s worth every penny.

Here’s a broader view. The kegerator slides under the counter. I’m fairly pleased w/it.
I wish I had planned a spot for the humidor, but at the time wasn’t into cigars (yet). Now my small/cheap humidor is sitting in the corner across the room.
By the way, anyone who hasn’t tried the Stranahan’s Diamond Peak should give it a shot. Maybe I do have a favorite after all…for tonight.

View attachment 119741
Kegorator is going behind the wall in the unfinished esrth exposed basement side. My Humidor is a 200 stick refer humi. My box top 150 stick, was cracked by my kiddo and wife because it was a cool "lock box"

I have water and drainage behind so was thinking of a cabinet with a small slab and mini basin under mount with a rinse. Waiting on replacement door, but my space to the right is fridge and wet bar space.

117652.jpeg

Uncle Nearest 1856

How do you like this? I’ve almost bought it a few times…mostly because of the topper :)
I Haven't opened yet . I picked it up, because of the bottle , and the topper as well. Hopefully it's as good as it looks .

I have a bottle of Nikka Takutsuru 21 that I bought at Narita duty free in 2011 before the Japanese whisky market went bonkers. It is down to the last ounce or two and is well-hidden. Can't justify buying a new one at $1000+, but it is by far the best bottle of alcohol I have purchased.

Uncle Nearest 1856. 50% alcohol. 2 shots and 1 beer and I am relaxed. If I am in a lot of pain, 3 shots and 2 beers and I am pain free.

Attachments

• Uncle Nearest 1856.png
    Uncle Nearest 1856.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Seeing your bottles of Angel's Envy and Basil Hayden made me think of something I had heard before (not sure if it is true, so curious what everyone else thinks) that if the bottle has 50% or more, its good to store for a while, if it has less than 50% in it, then finish it soon. The explanation I received is that the flavors (esters) evaporate out of the liquid and it will lose some of its character / complexity. I've got two bottles of Macallen than I'm looking at right now that I'm wondering if I need to prioritize drinking these.

I've heard about the just under half or lower theory as also . But the "expiration" at that point is like 6 months/1 year. I do think that proper storage is key with shelf life. I have all my bottles at consistent temperature, bottles are upright and not in direct sunlight.

I don't think I've experienced anything go bad though. I don't think I've had a bottle last me longer then a year . Not sure if that's a problem ...... 😁😁😁😁😁

I've heard about the just under half or lower theory as also . But the "expiration" at that point is like 6 months/1 year. I do think that proper storage is key with shelf life. I have all my bottles at consistent temperature, bottles are upright and not in direct sunlight.

I don't think I've experienced anything go bad though. I don't think I've had a bottle last me longer then a year . Not sure if that's a problem ...... 😁😁😁😁😁
That's helpful to know that I've got some time once I get to that point. Well worst case, if one of my bottles isn't quite as tasty as when it was first opened, I can always use it in a cocktail or wait until I'm on round 3 or 4 where it doesn't matter anymore.

Seeing your bottles of Angel's Envy and Basil Hayden made me think of something I had heard before (not sure if it is true, so curious what everyone else thinks) that if the bottle has 50% or more, its good to store for a while, if it has less than 50% in it, then finish it soon. The explanation I received is that the flavors (esters) evaporate out of the liquid and it will lose some of its character / complexity. I've got two bottles of Macallen than I'm looking at right now that I'm wondering if I need to prioritize drinking these.
It is exposure to oxygen and oxidation that is the issue. The more oxygen exposure the more the flavor will change over time. Once it gets under a quarter it is time to finish it off. And enjoy the Macallan; they are always a good dram.

It is exposure to oxygen and oxidation that is the issue. The more oxygen exposure the more the flavor will change over time. Once it gets under a quarter it is time to finish it off. And enjoy the Macallan; they are always a good dram.
To expand on this, if you're worried about excessive oxidation, you can either transfer your spirits to a smaller bottle or use "Private Preserve" which can be found at many liquor stores and displaces the air in the bottle.

To expand on this, if you're worried about excessive oxidation, you can either transfer your spirits to a smaller bottle or use "Private Preserve" which can be found at many liquor stores and displaces the air in the bottle.
Thanks for the tip on the private preserve. I've heard of this for wine and didn't occur to me to think about something like this for my whiskey.

I think transferring it to a smaller container is the way to go... something crystal that can hold an ice ball. 😉

Not a bourbon, but it is a Burbon Barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout.

20230520_203214.jpg

Back