Sudden Brake Lockup at 80 MPH – AdvanceTrac/ABS Warnings – Truck Stranded at Ford Dealer. Advice?

Rhebster

Tremor Buff
Founding Member 📜
Joined
Oct 5, 2023
Messages
92
Reaction Points
149
Location
Central Arkansas
Current Ride #1
2021 Ford Super Duty F-250 Platinum
Current Ride #2
1976 Ford Bronco Sport
IMG_0166.webp

Looking for some advice from fellow Super Duty owners on both a possible brake failure and how you’d handle the dealership situation.


The Breakdown


Tuesday evening, I was traveling on I-40 through Sallisaw, Oklahoma, at approximately 80 mph when, without touching the brakes, I suddenly felt a wobble/pulsation from the driver’s front wheel that transferred into the steering wheel. Almost immediately, multiple warning lights illuminated, and I knew something was seriously wrong.


I slowed down and pulled onto the shoulder. When I got out, I initially thought the truck was on fire because of the black cloud coming from the driver’s front wheel well. Fortunately, what I was seeing appeared to be brake dust rather than smoke from a fire.


Under the hood, nothing looked obviously wrong, but the instrument cluster displayed warnings for:


● ABS


● AdvanceTrac


● Hill Descent Control


● Collision Avoidance


I managed to limp approximately 1/4 mile to the nearest exit at 3–4 mph. The brakes seemed to be grabbing intermittently, accompanied by a grinding-type noise that seemed to diminish when turning.


For context, this is my 2021 F-250 Platinum 6.7L. Approximately 16,000 miles ago, I upgraded to EBC HD brake calipers and Bendix HD rotors when the original pads needed replacing. I’ve had absolutely no brake issues since that upgrade.


Question #1: What do you think happened?


Could this be a caliper suddenly seizing, an ABS module malfunction, a wheel-speed sensor issue, or something else? What concerns me most is that this happened at highway speed without any brake application. I’m particularly interested in whether an electronic system could have commanded the brakes to engage unexpectedly.


The Dealership Situation


By this point, it was after 8 p.m., and finding a repair shop wasn’t an option. I hired a wrecker and had the truck towed approximately two miles to Harry Robinson Ford in Sallisaw. Since I normally have my Ford dealership handle my service work, I figured another Ford dealer was the safest choice.


Unfortunately, my job required me to be 2.5 hours away the following morning, so my daughter made a five-hour round trip to pick me up.


I left the dealership a detailed three-page description of what happened, service records, extended warranty information, and the keys in their night drop box.


Here’s how things have gone:


Wednesday, 8:30 a.m. – Called shortly after opening. The service representative told me they’d already pulled the truck into the shop and would call once they had a diagnosis.


Wednesday, approximately 12:30 p.m. – Having heard nothing, I called for an update. The same person said they’d just started looking at it about 20 minutes earlier and would contact me when they knew more.


Wednesday, 5 p.m. – Still no communication, so I asked to speak with the service manager. He explained that they were backed up 3–4 weeks on diesel work but were making an exception to prioritize my truck since I was a stranded traveler. He had no diagnostic information and told me not to call again until I heard from them.


I understand dealerships are busy, and my truck arrived unexpectedly without an appointment. I certainly don’t expect them to put every other customer aside for me. However, after being told twice that the truck was being examined, I thought it was reasonable to expect at least some preliminary information by the end of the day.


His response left me feeling like I was being unreasonable simply for asking.


I decided to give them some space and went the next 24 hours without calling. Unfortunately, I still received no update now with it at the dealer 48 hours. FordPass shows it has moved to their lot, but no warnings have cleared & no service ticket has been started.


Where Things Stand


Today, I called the service manager at my home Ford dealership for advice. I have a trip coming up in approximately a week and really need my truck back.


He suggested calling the Sallisaw service manager, politely establishing a firm deadline for a diagnosis, and explaining that if they cannot evaluate the truck by then, I’ll need to arrange transportation to another shop. He noted the service system had no new record of a new ticket being started, but said that may not update until the ticket closes.


My home dealer also contacted an acquaintance at another Ford dealership within reasonable towing distance, but that dealer said it would be approximately two weeks before they could look at it.


That leaves me in a difficult position. I don’t want to alienate the dealership that currently has my truck, especially if they are genuinely trying to work me into their schedule. On the other hand, I can’t afford to have it sit indefinitely without even knowing what’s wrong.


Moving it to another shop means another tow bill and potentially starting the entire process over again.


Question #2: How Would You Handle This?


Would you:


1. Give the current dealership another day or two (48hrs in) before escalating?


2. Call the service manager and respectfully request a specific diagnosis deadline?


3. Cut your losses and tow it to an independent diesel/brake shop?


4. Consider another Ford dealership, even if it means paying for a longer tow? Quote to Tulsa was $700

5. Ask my local service department to call the dealership on my behalf to say a few kind words & gauge the situation (they offered)?


And, specifically, what would you say to the service manager to get some movement without damaging the relationship?


I’d really appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced a similar brake/AdvanceTrac failure or has dealt with being stranded at an unfamiliar Ford dealership.


Thanks in advance for any insight.
 
Last edited:
That is a rough situation to be in away from home, but the most important thing is that you managed to safely get the truck to the shoulder. That sequence of events at 80 mph points directly to a specific mechanical failure rather than a rogue electronic glitch.

What Happened (Question #1)

You almost certainly experienced a catastrophic front unit bearing (hub assembly) failure.

Here is why the symptoms align perfectly with a destroyed hub rather than a brake module malfunction:

The Wobble & Dust: When a unit bearing disintegrates at highway speeds, the hub loses its center. The rotor immediately develops massive runout and starts grinding violently against the caliper and mounting bracket. That grinding produces the sudden steering wheel wobble and the massive cloud of black dust (pulverized brake pad material and shaved metal, not smoke).

The Christmas Tree Dash: The wheel speed sensor (which feeds the ABS) reads off a tone ring inside that hub assembly. When the bearing let go and the hub shifted, it instantly wiped out the sensor's reading. ABS, AdvanceTrac, Hill Descent, and Collision Avoidance all rely on that single wheel speed signal. When the signal drops, all of those systems disable and throw warnings simultaneously.

The Caliper Theory: While a seized piston or stuck slide pin on your EBC calipers could cause dragging, heat, and vibration, it rarely causes an instantaneous ABS fault unless the assembly gets so hot it literally melts the wheel speed sensor wire.

Handling the Dealership (Question #2)

Do not tow it to Tulsa just to get stuck in another 2-week backlog. The Service Manager in Sallisaw is artificially bottlenecking your repair by throwing your truck into the "diesel tech" queue simply because it has a 6.7L under the hood. This is a front-end chassis issue, not a powertrain issue. Any standard line tech, suspension tech, or even a quick-lane tech can diagnose and fix this.

Here is the most effective approach, combining your options #5 and #2:

Deploy your home Service Manager: Take your local Service Manager up on their offer to call the Sallisaw dealership. Service Managers respect each other's pull. Have your SM explicitly explain that you are a stranded regular customer with a front wheel bearing/brake failure, not a diesel engine issue, and ask if they can just get a chassis tech to put it on a lift for 15 minutes to confirm the damage. This breaks the ice without you having to be the "demanding" customer.

Make a polite, boundary-setting follow-up call: Call the Sallisaw Service Manager a few hours later. Acknowledge his backlog so he doesn't get defensive, but clarify the scope of work:

"I really appreciate you trying to help while your diesel guys are buried. Since this is strictly a front hub or brake failure, is there any way a chassis tech can pull that front left wheel by tomorrow at noon? I just need to know if I’m dealing with a destroyed hub or a locked caliper. If you guys just don't have the bay space for a suspension check by then, I completely understand and I'll arrange to tow it to a local shop so it's out of your hair."

The Independent Shop Backup: If they still give you the runaround by your deadline, cut your losses (Option 3). Tow it down the road to a reputable local independent diesel, 4x4, or commercial truck shop. They can source a Super Duty unit bearing or matching EBC replacement parts and have you back on the road in a day or two.

Keep in mind, if it turns out the aftermarket caliper seized, your Ford extended warranty will not cover the brake components. If the factory wheel hub failed, your ESP should cover the hub assembly replacement.

Keep us updated on what they find when they finally pull that wheel off.
 
View attachment 274751
Looking for some advice from fellow Super Duty owners on both a possible brake failure and how you’d handle the dealership situation.


The Breakdown


Tuesday evening, I was traveling on I-40 through Sallisaw, OK, at approximately 80 mph when, without touching the brakes, I suddenly felt a wobble/pulsation from the driver’s front wheel that transferred into the steering wheel. Almost immediately, multiple warning lights illuminated, and I knew something was seriously wrong.


I slowed down and pulled onto the shoulder. When I got out, I initially thought the truck was on fire because of the black cloud coming from the driver’s front wheel well. Fortunately, what I was seeing appeared to be brake dust rather than smoke from a fire.


Under the hood, nothing looked obviously wrong, but the instrument cluster displayed warnings for:


● ABS


● AdvanceTrac


● Hill Descent Control


● Collision Avoidance


I managed to limp approximately 1/4 mile to the nearest exit at 3–4 mph. The brakes seemed to be grabbing intermittently, accompanied by a grinding-type noise that seemed to diminish when turning.


For context, this is my 2021 F-250 Platinum 6.7L. Approximately 16,000 miles ago, I upgraded to EBC HD brake calipers and Bendix HD rotors when the original pads needed replacing. I’ve had absolutely no brake issues since that upgrade.


Question #1: What do you think happened?


Could this be a caliper suddenly seizing, an ABS module malfunction, a wheel-speed sensor issue, or something else? What concerns me most is that this happened at highway speed without any brake application. I’m particularly interested in whether an electronic system could have commanded the brakes to engage unexpectedly.


The Dealership Situation


By this point, it was after 8 p.m., and finding a repair shop wasn’t an option. I hired a wrecker and had the truck towed approximately two miles to Harry Robinson Ford in Sallisaw. Since I normally have my Ford dealership handle my service work, I figured another Ford dealer was the safest choice.


Unfortunately, my job required me to be 2.5 hours away the following morning, so my daughter made a five-hour round trip to pick me up.


I left the dealership a detailed three-page description of what happened, service records, extended warranty information, and the keys in their night drop box.


Here’s how things have gone:


Wednesday, 8:30 a.m. – Called shortly after opening. The service representative told me they’d already pulled the truck into the shop and would call once they had a diagnosis.


Wednesday, approximately 12:30 p.m. – Having heard nothing, I called for an update. The same person said they’d just started looking at it about 20 minutes earlier and would contact me when they knew more.


Wednesday, 5 p.m. – Still no communication, so I asked to speak with the service manager. He explained that they were backed up 3–4 weeks on diesel work but were making an exception to prioritize my truck since I was a stranded traveler. He had no diagnostic information and told me not to call again until I heard from them.


I understand dealerships are busy, and my truck arrived unexpectedly without an appointment. I certainly don’t expect them to put every other customer aside for me. However, after being told twice that the truck was being examined, I thought it was reasonable to expect at least some preliminary information by the end of the day.


His response left me feeling like I was being unreasonable simply for asking.


I decided to give them some space and went the next 24 hours without calling. Unfortunately, I still received no update.


Where Things Stand


Today, I called the service manager at my home Ford dealership for advice. I have a trip coming up in approximately a week and really need my truck back.


He suggested calling the Sallisaw service manager, politely establishing a firm deadline for a diagnosis, and explaining that if they cannot evaluate the truck by then, I’ll need to arrange transportation to another shop.


My home dealer also contacted an acquaintance at another Ford dealership within reasonable towing distance, but that dealer said it would be approximately two weeks before they could look at it.


That leaves me in a difficult position. I don’t want to alienate the dealership that currently has my truck, especially if they are genuinely trying to work me into their schedule. On the other hand, I can’t afford to have it sit indefinitely without even knowing what’s wrong.


Moving it to another shop means another tow bill and potentially starting the entire process over again.


Question #2: How Would You Handle This?


Would you:


1. Give the current dealership another day or two before escalating?


2. Call the service manager and respectfully request a specific diagnosis deadline?


3. Cut your losses and tow it to an independent diesel/brake shop?


4. Consider another Ford dealership, even if it means paying for a longer tow? Quote to Tulsa was $700


And, specifically, what would you say to the service manager to get some movement without damaging the relationship?


I’d really appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced a similar brake/AdvanceTrac failure or has dealt with being stranded at an unfamiliar Ford dealership.


Thanks in advance for any insight.
As for what happened, no way to know until someone looks at it and actually finds the issue. Anything else is a guess at best, and the answer would most likely be stated only if someone has seen that failure before. (Which could be wronng)

As for service center response, it's a hard call to make without actually talking with the service manager face to face. For comparison of the situation and understanding how service centers work, an emergency usually disrupts any typical scheduling they may have. The fact they are "trying" to work on it as a priority is perhaps a good thing, but as mentioned, disrupts the normal schedules. A lot of these places only have a few real mechanics and a bunch of "parts installers".

I know it is really frustrating; I went through this with a different truck a few years ago when it broke down in the middle of nowhere and had to pay two different tow companies across county lines to get the truck to where it needed to be. (Gotta love the Cal-Nev rules.) The service center only had one diesel mechanic that was not on duty until the following week. Then it also cost me lodging as I was stranded until a friend picked me up the next day, driving over a hundred miles one way to come and get me. A week later, I finally got a call with the bill and to come pick it up. Another 100-mile trip for my friend.

Short answer is to be patient, your problems are not their problems and if they are trying to honestly help, calling them to try to rush it is likely going to delay it even more. It's unfortunate that you had a failure, shit happens. But exacerbating the situation is not good.

Service scheduling these days can be a week or two in advance to obtain a repair time slot under normal situations. An emergency disrupts those schedules. If the service manager can give you an estimated time of scheduling the work, I would go with that. Get the scheduling coordinators name and try to deal with them. See if they can recommend a rental of some kind in the interim.
 
That is a rough situation to be in away from home, but the most important thing is that you managed to safely get the truck to the shoulder. That sequence of events at 80 mph points directly to a specific mechanical failure rather than a rogue electronic glitch.

What Happened (Question #1)

You almost certainly experienced a catastrophic front unit bearing (hub assembly) failure.

Here is why the symptoms align perfectly with a destroyed hub rather than a brake module malfunction:

The Wobble & Dust: When a unit bearing disintegrates at highway speeds, the hub loses its center. The rotor immediately develops massive runout and starts grinding violently against the caliper and mounting bracket. That grinding produces the sudden steering wheel wobble and the massive cloud of black dust (pulverized brake pad material and shaved metal, not smoke).

The Christmas Tree Dash: The wheel speed sensor (which feeds the ABS) reads off a tone ring inside that hub assembly. When the bearing let go and the hub shifted, it instantly wiped out the sensor's reading. ABS, AdvanceTrac, Hill Descent, and Collision Avoidance all rely on that single wheel speed signal. When the signal drops, all of those systems disable and throw warnings simultaneously.

The Caliper Theory: While a seized piston or stuck slide pin on your EBC calipers could cause dragging, heat, and vibration, it rarely causes an instantaneous ABS fault unless the assembly gets so hot it literally melts the wheel speed sensor wire.

Handling the Dealership (Question #2)

Do not tow it to Tulsa just to get stuck in another 2-week backlog. The Service Manager in Sallisaw is artificially bottlenecking your repair by throwing your truck into the "diesel tech" queue simply because it has a 6.7L under the hood. This is a front-end chassis issue, not a powertrain issue. Any standard line tech, suspension tech, or even a quick-lane tech can diagnose and fix this.

Here is the most effective approach, combining your options #5 and #2:

Deploy your home Service Manager: Take your local Service Manager up on their offer to call the Sallisaw dealership. Service Managers respect each other's pull. Have your SM explicitly explain that you are a stranded regular customer with a front wheel bearing/brake failure, not a diesel engine issue, and ask if they can just get a chassis tech to put it on a lift for 15 minutes to confirm the damage. This breaks the ice without you having to be the "demanding" customer.

Make a polite, boundary-setting follow-up call: Call the Sallisaw Service Manager a few hours later. Acknowledge his backlog so he doesn't get defensive, but clarify the scope of work:

"I really appreciate you trying to help while your diesel guys are buried. Since this is strictly a front hub or brake failure, is there any way a chassis tech can pull that front left wheel by tomorrow at noon? I just need to know if I’m dealing with a destroyed hub or a locked caliper. If you guys just don't have the bay space for a suspension check by then, I completely understand and I'll arrange to tow it to a local shop so it's out of your hair."

The Independent Shop Backup: If they still give you the runaround by your deadline, cut your losses (Option 3). Tow it down the road to a reputable local independent diesel, 4x4, or commercial truck shop. They can source a Super Duty unit bearing or matching EBC replacement parts and have you back on the road in a day or two.

Keep in mind, if it turns out the aftermarket caliper seized, your Ford extended warranty will not cover the brake components. If the factory wheel hub failed, your ESP should cover the hub assembly replacement.

Keep us updated on what they find when they finally pull that wheel off.
Great advice! One thing to note, some service centers (Capital Ford in Carson City) have one diesel mechanic, and the other mechanics won't touch the diesel truck, even if it's the power steering pump that went bad. Ask me how I know. :sneaky:
 
Thank you Optimus et al! The mechanical explanation makes perfect sense, my truck is regularly serviced before intervals, in fact was scheduled to be dropped at my dealer for the 80k service and the CP4 recalibration & camera recalls, so the luck of this happening is unfortunate. 100% things could have gotten dangerous quickly so for that I’m grateful.

Sounds like this will require replacing both front Rotors & brake pads (what I’ve read) along with the bearings and whatever also got impacted. I have not upgraded anything on the brakes beyond the rotor & pads 15-20k miles ago so the rest of the braking system is stock. I’m out of Ford’s warranty, but have a 120k Platinum Route 66 so hopefully this gets warranty approval. I know 37” tires with a 3/8” spacer can cause more wear, but I’ve not read on here of this failure as regular occurrence- am I missing something or Is this a common problem?

I too felt adding $700 to my bill would not be worth it, but hate this is so far away that I will be trying to locate a nonbranded repair shop. Hopefully, the call by my dealership can help things along. If you were trying to find a shop, then what kind of questions would you be asking to qualify them as the right shop if that’s what transpires?
 
You're welcome my friend!

Glad the mechanical breakdown helped make sense of the chaos! To answer your questions on the failure rate, the brakes, and how to pivot to an independent shop:

The 37" Tires and Spacer Factor
Is it a common factory defect?
No. Is it a common wear item when you modify the rolling stock? Yes. Super Duty unit bearings are robust, but stepping up to 37s adds significant unsprung rotational mass. Throwing a 3/8” spacer into the mix pushes the centerline of the wheel further out, acting as a lever prying against that hub bearing every time you turn or hit a bump. Getting 80k miles out of a unit bearing pushing spaced 37s is actually a pretty solid run.

Replacing Brakes in Pairs

You are right—if the driver's side rotor and pads are trashed from the hub failure, you absolutely must replace the passenger side as well. Brake pads and rotors must always be replaced in axle pairs to prevent the truck from pulling violently due to differing friction materials and rotor thicknesses. Just make sure the shop verifies the driver's side caliper wasn't damaged when the rotor was wobbling.

How to Qualify an Independent Shop

If the dealer drags their feet, here are the four exact questions to ask local independent Sallisaw shops:

"Do you work with third-party extended warranties like Route 66?" (Some shops refuse aftermarket warranty paperwork, so ask this first.)

"Can you source an OEM Motorcraft, Timken, or SKF hub assembly?" (Don't let them install a cheap auto parts store brand on a heavy truck running 37s. It will fail again.)

"Do you have the bay space to knock out a front hub and brake job in the next 48 hours?" (Establish the timeline immediately so you aren't towed onto another waitlist.)

"Do your techs regularly work on 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks?"

@Canyon Trekker You hit the nail on the head regarding dealership shop politics. As a 7.3L guy, I thankfully get to bypass the diesel queue, but I've seen this exact nightmare strand guys for weeks over basic suspension parts.

At some dealerships, the service software literally won't let them assign a VIN with a 6.7L to anyone who doesn't hold the specific diesel certification, even if it's just for a wheel bearing or a power steering pump like you saw in Carson City. That strict dispatching is exactly why having the home Service Manager make the dealer-to-dealer call is the best play to get someone to manually override the system and just get a set of eyes on it.

And yes, I'd like to know your story! 🤪
 
First, it would be nice if they could take the word diesel out of the equation. You dont want to wait for or need a diesel tech to diagnose a brake issue. That's rude.

My service writer is a friend too and I would ask him to make a call...
 
You're welcome my friend!

Glad the mechanical breakdown helped make sense of the chaos! To answer your questions on the failure rate, the brakes, and how to pivot to an independent shop:

The 37" Tires and Spacer Factor
Is it a common factory defect?
No. Is it a common wear item when you modify the rolling stock? Yes. Super Duty unit bearings are robust, but stepping up to 37s adds significant unsprung rotational mass. Throwing a 3/8” spacer into the mix pushes the centerline of the wheel further out, acting as a lever prying against that hub bearing every time you turn or hit a bump. Getting 80k miles out of a unit bearing pushing spaced 37s is actually a pretty solid run.

Replacing Brakes in Pairs

You are right—if the driver's side rotor and pads are trashed from the hub failure, you absolutely must replace the passenger side as well. Brake pads and rotors must always be replaced in axle pairs to prevent the truck from pulling violently due to differing friction materials and rotor thicknesses. Just make sure the shop verifies the driver's side caliper wasn't damaged when the rotor was wobbling.

How to Qualify an Independent Shop
If the dealer drags their feet, here are the four exact questions to ask local independent Sallisaw shops:

"Do you work with third-party extended warranties like Route 66?" (Some shops refuse aftermarket warranty paperwork, so ask this first.)

"Can you source an OEM Motorcraft, Timken, or SKF hub assembly?" (Don't let them install a cheap auto parts store brand on a heavy truck running 37s. It will fail again.)

"Do you have the bay space to knock out a front hub and brake job in the next 48 hours?" (Establish the timeline immediately so you aren't towed onto another waitlist.)

"Do your techs regularly work on 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks?"

@Canyon Trekker You hit the nail on the head regarding dealership shop politics. As a 7.3L guy, I thankfully get to bypass the diesel queue, but I've seen this exact nightmare strand guys for weeks over basic suspension parts.

At some dealerships, the service software literally won't let them assign a VIN with a 6.7L to anyone who doesn't hold the specific diesel certification, even if it's just for a wheel bearing or a power steering pump like you saw in Carson City. That strict dispatching is exactly why having the home Service Manager make the dealer-to-dealer call is the best play to get someone to manually override the system and just get a set of eyes on it.

And yes, I'd like to know your story! 🤪
"And yes, I'd like to know your story! 🤪"
OK, you asked for it...

I was in the ghost town of Bodie CA, and the washboard road trip back to civilization killed my power steering pump. That wasn't a huge concern but in the 99 model with the 7.3 diesel, the power steering pump also drives the brakes so, no brakes either. So: stranded. So here I am in the middle of an old road, half way from Bodie and the highway I need to be on, it's dusk and everything is closed, occupied by ghosts, or nonexistent. No cell service of any quality, no passer by cars, and the closest tow truck I know of is in Lee Vining Ca from where I came from. (A long way away) So, I am wandering around trying to find a cell signal to call my tow service, finally get ahold of my insurance company who simply tells me to "go online" and make a service request. I can't "go online" with a lousy cell connection! So, I call back and try to explain again, with the occasional "drops" trying to communicate with this outfit, they finally tell me that they will contact the tow service and dispatch it to me. Mind you, there's no way for them to really contact me, I have to be in the exact right spot for any communications and that was not in the truck, it was out on the road somewhere.

At the time, I didn't know who they called. Turns out they called, Carson City tow since that was the only Ford dealer near me. So now I'm waiting, the wife is breaking down angrily, and I have no recourse but to wait and hope someone comes out to haul us out of there. Suddenly, a tow truck drives by! It was a different tow truck, not the one I was expecting, he was headed to Bodie for a different job. I try to flag him down, he acknowledged me and told me he would come back to see what he could do. On the way out from the job, (apparently cancelled since he didn't have a ride on the platform) he tells me that his truck can't carry my diesel truck and that he would send another truck out form LEE VINING to pick me up. So, the wait happens again. Now it's close to dark and I see rain clouds coming in, expecting to possibly be there all night, soooo.... you guessed it, more anger and hanging out inside the truck for shelter and no cell signal.

So now I leave the truck and make another call to the insurance company to find out the status, they tell me the Carson City tow was trying to call me and said he will be there in about two hours. Now I have a dilemma; no way to let the Lee Vining tow know that the Carson tow finally responded, and guess who shows up first? Lee Vining. I tell him, the Carson guy is coming now, and he tells me, well, I have to charge you anyway for the trip out there from Lee Vining. So, I sympathize with the guy, understanding the fuel costs and all, and ask if he can tow me to the border of Nevada where I can catch the ride with the Carson tow. That worked out OK, he even gave me a good deal on the tow job. (Actually, was a nice guy) There was also another confusion factor in this part, I did get a hold of the service station where the tow truck was stationed in Lee Vining and let them know, the Carson Guy was coming. Apparently, the driver had already left and on his way and didn't get the message.

So, he hauls me out but didn't have room in the cab for both of us and we end up sitting in the truck on top of the platform heading to the Nevada border to be dropped off. So now I'm in a parking lot where the first truck dropped me, waiting for the Carson guy, he shows up and says he can take me to Carson City, but the Ford dealer is closed at this point. I have no choice and we proceed to the dealership. The whole time I'm listening to his crazy conspiracy theories about aliens or some crazy thing, don't remember. Actually, another nice guy, he tows the truck in, places it in the yard, takes us to a motel and we end up getting the last room available, the "presidential suite", the only one available. $$$$$$ :confused: (Nice room though)

Next morning, I call my friend who drives over from Auburn to pick us up and take us back home, this was on a Saturday. But before I left, stopped in at the Ford dealer just to find out, the diesel mechanic wouldn't be back until mid-week, so I had the choice, tow the truck back home or wait. So, I told him just fix it, I'll come back when it's fixed. The following (seems like Friday) it's ready for pickup. They replaced the O rings in the power steering pump. That's it. But it took the diesel mechanic to do this.

So, I head to Carson City with my better half, picked it up and while there took a look at a few "new" trucks. Just looking you understand. So, on the way home, I hear "I don't want to travel in this truck anymore, you need to get something new." 😶 Am I dreaming?

So now I drive a Tremor.😁
 

Attachments

  • 146A4366.webp
    146A4366.webp
    368.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 146A4367.webp
    146A4367.webp
    241.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 146A4368.webp
    146A4368.webp
    341.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 146A4377.webp
    146A4377.webp
    188.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 146A4379.webp
    146A4379.webp
    95.7 KB · Views: 7
  • BB9A3598.webp
    BB9A3598.webp
    230.6 KB · Views: 8
"And yes, I'd like to know your story! 🤪"
OK, you asked for it...

I was in the ghost town of Bodie CA, and the washboard road trip back to civilization killed my power steering pump. That wasn't a huge concern but in the 99 model with the 7.3 diesel, the power steering pump also drives the brakes so, no brakes either. So: stranded. So here I am in the middle of an old road, half way from Bodie and the highway I need to be on, it's dusk and everything is closed, occupied by ghosts, or nonexistent. No cell service of any quality, no passer by cars, and the closest tow truck I know of is in Lee Vining Ca from where I came from. (A long way away) So, I am wandering around trying to find a cell signal to call my tow service, finally get ahold of my insurance company who simply tells me to "go online" and make a service request. I can't "go online" with a lousy cell connection! So, I call back and try to explain again, with the occasional "drops" trying to communicate with this outfit, they finally tell me that they will contact the tow service and dispatch it to me. Mind you, there's no way for them to really contact me, I have to be in the exact right spot for any communications and that was not in the truck, it was out on the road somewhere.

At the time, I didn't know who they called. Turns out they called, Carson City tow since that was the only Ford dealer near me. So now I'm waiting, the wife is breaking down angrily, and I have no recourse but to wait and hope someone comes out to haul us out of there. Suddenly, a tow truck drives by! It was a different tow truck, not the one I was expecting, he was headed to Bodie for a different job. I try to flag him down, he acknowledged me and told me he would come back to see what he could do. On the way out from the job, (apparently cancelled since he didn't have a ride on the platform) he tells me that his truck can't carry my diesel truck and that he would send another truck out form LEE VINING to pick me up. So, the wait happens again. Now it's close to dark and I see rain clouds coming in, expecting to possibly be there all night, soooo.... you guessed it, more anger and hanging out inside the truck for shelter and no cell signal.

So now I leave the truck and make another call to the insurance company to find out the status, they tell me the Carson City tow was trying to call me and said he will be there in about two hours. Now I have a dilemma; no way to let the Lee Vining tow know that the Carson tow finally responded, and guess who shows up first? Lee Vining. I tell him, the Carson guy is coming now, and he tells me, well, I have to charge you anyway for the trip out there from Lee Vining. So, I sympathize with the guy, understanding the fuel costs and all, and ask if he can tow me to the border of Nevada where I can catch the ride with the Carson tow. That worked out OK, he even gave me a good deal on the tow job. (Actually, was a nice guy) There was also another confusion factor in this part, I did get a hold of the service station where the tow truck was stationed in Lee Vining and let them know, the Carson Guy was coming. Apparently, the driver had already left and on his way and didn't get the message.

So, he hauls me out but didn't have room in the cab for both of us and we end up sitting in the truck on top of the platform heading to the Nevada border to be dropped off. So now I'm in a parking lot where the first truck dropped me, waiting for the Carson guy, he shows up and says he can take me to Carson City, but the Ford dealer is closed at this point. I have no choice and we proceed to the dealership. The whole time I'm listening to his crazy conspiracy theories about aliens or some crazy thing, don't remember. Actually, another nice guy, he tows the truck in, places it in the yard, takes us to a motel and we end up getting the last room available, the "presidential suite", the only one available. $$$$$$ :confused: (Nice room though)

Next morning, I call my friend who drives over from Auburn to pick us up and take us back home, this was on a Saturday. But before I left, stopped in at the Ford dealer just to find out, the diesel mechanic wouldn't be back until mid-week, so I had the choice, tow the truck back home or wait. So, I told him just fix it, I'll come back when it's fixed. The following (seems like Friday) it's ready for pickup. They replaced the O rings in the power steering pump. That's it. But it took the diesel mechanic to do this.

So, I head to Carson City with my better half, picked it up and while there took a look at a few "new" trucks. Just looking you understand. So, on the way home, I hear "I don't want to travel in this truck anymore, you need to get something new." 😶 Am I dreaming?

So now I drive a Tremor.😁
I want to say I'm sorry for asking but that sure is a helluva story (and you got pics too!). Things like this happen for a reason and like you said, you now drive a Tremor 😀.

Thank you for sharing. It's definitely one for the books. I'll have to ask Gayle her perspective next time I see her! 🤪
 
Approximately 16,000 miles ago, I upgraded to EBC HD brake calipers and Bendix HD rotors when the original pads needed replacing.

4. Consider another Ford dealership, even if it means paying for a longer tow? Quote to Tulsa was $700

I too felt adding $700 to my bill would not be worth it, but hate this is so far away that I will be trying to locate a nonbranded repair shop.

Sounds like this will require replacing both front Rotors & brake pads (what I’ve read) along with the bearings and whatever also got impacted.

Not sure how far you are from "home base" or your preferred dealer, BUT you are already down the road of spending money a second time on brakes. $700 or more to get home ......eat it, have your baby at arms reach, trust your local dealer to get to it whenever they can. Sleep easy.

Otherwise a local shop (nearest to the truck now) can likely get it in-and-out quicker with replacing brake parts. Any sort of deep dive diagnosis might take longer to resolve.

Additionally if you got a laptop you can use FDRS yourself to possibly get into the "what happened and why". FDRS is reasonably cheap but does require a Mongoose cable ($500) to get into the truck modules.

It's your baby...your money. Good luck with your decision.

:cool: :cool: :coffee: :coffee: 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲
 
Great advice! One thing to note, some service centers (Capital Ford in Carson City) have one diesel mechanic, and the other mechanics won't touch the diesel truck, even if it's the power steering pump that went bad. Ask me how I know. :sneaky:
Meanwhile my shop had their diesel guy work on my blown seal 🤔🤣
 
Back
Top Bottom