Snow kit for 6.7L in heavy snow

is that a personal opinion or fractural in black and white
At work, they have a small fleet of f550 6.7 plow trucks, they are constantly getting the air intakes clogged with snow, it’s a real issue. Their gas trucks 6.2 and now a 7.3 ( which hasn’t seen snow yet) do not have these issues. The turbo diesel trucks move allot of air, espically when working hard with added boost.

In regards to dorkels and their effectiveness I can attest that they do work in both water fording, dusty environments, and snow. The key to making them actually work in dust and snow is the "Snorkel Upgrade." It's basically a centrifugal spinning filter element that's ejects particles prior to them flowing through the snorkel body into the filter. Pre install on our previous truck we replaced air filters after every trip, even with the snorkel. It was better than factory, but filters still required regular cleaning/replacement. Post install we definitely noticed the filters were no longer dirty after each trip. As for water crossing I think we all can agree the factory intake isn't exactly in the best location and it exposes the truck to potential water induction.

In regards to dorkels and their effectiveness I can attest that they do work in both water fording, dusty environments, and snow. The key to making them actually work in dust and snow is the "Snorkel Upgrade." It's basically a centrifugal spinning filter element that's ejects particles prior to them flowing through the snorkel body into the filter. Pre install on our previous truck we replaced air filters after every trip, even with the snorkel. It was better than factory, but filters still required regular cleaning/replacement. Post install we definitely noticed the filters were no longer dirty after each trip. As for water crossing I think we all can agree the factory intake isn't exactly in the best location and it exposes the truck to potential water induction.
On my home built AEV prospector I had the AEV raised air intake aka snorkel. I had the syklone pre filter, my air filter looked new slll the time. The idea behind these kits is not water or snow, it’s actually picking up clean air in dusty environments. When a line of vehicles are traveling on gravel or dusty areas, the dust hangs low and the stock intake picks it up. The “snorkle” picks the clean air up. A very common mid conseption is the snorkle is designed to ford water, it’s not.

If you need a snorkel on a Tremor. I vote you done fucked up.
Not really, a raised air intake is not for water fording it’s for clean air. Look at the trucks in the Australian Outback. YouTube AEV raised air intake.

While I totally agree that the main purpose of a snorkel is for dust, it's hard to argue it wouldn't be a good idea on one of these trucks when attempting water crossings. The factory intake design is just asking to suck up water, and there's even a YouTube video that it happened on camera in relatively shallow water. I think @powers4x4 on IG was the one who had it happen as well on his 7.3.

While I totally agree that the main purpose of a snorkel is for dust, it's hard to argue it wouldn't be a good idea on one of these trucks when attempting water crossings. The factory intake design is just asking to suck up water, and there's even a YouTube video that it happened on camera in relatively shallow water. I think @powers4x4 on IG was the one who had it happen as well on his 7.3.
The factory air intake sucks air right under the hood. On older trucks it was inside the front fender. Also one often missed option the tremor has is raised axle, trans breathers. Looking at the front axle breather it’s under the hood and lower than the air intake. Ford put the air intake as high as they can get it, and it forces cold air from under the front of the hood.

What's snow? 😜 :D
4 letter word that’s not allowed to be used in this house! 🤣

Just kidding… part of me still misses the Pennsylvania winters where I was born and raised.

Last edited:
4 letter word that’s not allowed to be used in this house! 🤣

Just kidding… part of me still misses the Pennsylvania winters where I was born and raised.

We very rarely get any snow that sticks down here and when we do we just close everything down and have a snow day. It's kinda fun since it'll be melted the next day.:)

We very rarely get any snow that sticks down here and when we do we just close everything down and have a snow day. It's kinda fun since it'll be melted the next day.:)
Kind of the same here. Northern part of Tucson where we live. We will see a light dusting once or twice a year. Once the sun comes up, any snow we had is gone by mid morning.

Kind of the same here. Northern part of Tucson where we live. We will see a light dusting once or twice a year. Once the sun comes up, any snow we had is gone by mid morning.
In central Ohio we usually start with a light dusting in early November. It picks up to a steady snowfall and it clears off when the sun comes up in mid May.

Wonder if you’d have the same problem if you were running an S&B intake

Heading to Laramie WY today I had to pull the filter twice due to snow the first time it was completely full, I'll be getting one of these kits. Waiting in sheridan for the roads to open.

Heading to Laramie WY today I had to pull the filter twice due to snow the first time it was completely full, I'll be getting one of these kits. Waiting in sheridan for the roads to open.
Good luck! You picked the worst part of this year to be traveling across Wyoming. Take care and safe travels.

Has anyone installed one of these kits? If so, could we get some pics.?

So this interesting gizmo would be a benefit if I’m just driving in snowy conditions? I don’t plow with my 6.7. Any concerns the mesh material would restrict airflow to any degree? Thanks for the post. It’s definitely winter where I live.

Good luck! You picked the worst part of this year to be traveling across Wyoming. Take care and safe travels.
😅 I know didn't have a choice, my son is graduating Wyotech Friday and the worst part is I'm dragging a 36' gooseneck so I can haul his vehicles back.

So this interesting gizmo would be a benefit if I’m just driving in snowy conditions? I don’t plow with my 6.7. Any concerns the mesh material would restrict airflow to any degree? Thanks for the post. It’s definitely winter where I live.
It will restrict airflow but it will keep the truck running instead of having to unpack snow from your intake which could result in sucking in the filter eventually.

If you drive in lots of snow it’s of benefit to have installed. You can always remove for spring/summer/fall.

This is excellent info you’re sharing. I’d hate to learn this the hard way, I’m going to have to look into one of these too.
Media is spreading big time weather fear where you’re at (and almost everywhere). Wishing you safe travels 👊

Back