fordguy74656

Tremor Addict
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
22 F350 6.7 lariat
Current Ride #2
Town Car
Some 2020-2022 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L engine may experiencea lack of power due to snow packing of the engine air cleaner when operating inextremely snowy conditions. Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P1548 may be present in the powertrain control module (PCM). A heavy snow environment pre-filter service kit (service part LC3Z-9K635-AA) is now available for use but is not a warrantable item. It is recommended that the service kit be removed at temperatures greater than 50°F (10°C) and reinstall in subsequent winter seasons in order to maintain optimal vehicle performance.

Any reason this wouldn’t apply to a gas engine as well? I thought the air intake at the point the air enters is the same for both, so presumably if snow can get into the diesel intake it can get into the gas?

Any reason this wouldn’t apply to a gas engine as well? I thought the air intake at the point the air enters is the same for both, so presumably if snow can get into the diesel intake it can get into the gas?
Seems like that would be plausible

One word... turbo. That's the reason.

Ah that would make sense as it would create a much stronger suction force on the intake.
Exactly. The turbo has the ability to suck in a clogged air filter. On a gasser (n/a), it just acts like a throttle plate closing.

Snorkels are also useful for getting cleaner air in dusty environments. Might also work to get less snow in the intake?

The way that the intake is plumbed on our trucks I could see this being true for snow. I'm guessing this kit is some kind of drop in baffle arrangement. For dust I don't see how it would make much of a difference. If you are running through a brown cloud you are sucking it in unless the snorkel is above it. And at roof line, it likely won't be. A long intake tract could provide some benefit as it would give more time for heavier particles to settle out of the air before they hit the filter.

In general I just was making a joke.

The way that the intake is plumbed on our trucks I could see this being true for snow. I'm guessing this kit is some kind of drop in baffle arrangement. For dust I don't see how it would make much of a difference. If you are running through a brown cloud you are sucking it in unless the snorkel is above it. And at roof line, it likely won't be. A long intake tract could provide some benefit as it would give more time for heavier particles to settle out of the air before they hit the filter.

In general I just was making a joke.
Ah my bad on not picking up on the joke lol. It’s a pretty common misconception that snorkels are only valuable for water fording.

I think it’s less about a dust storm where like you say, you’re screwed, and rather dust kicked up by vehicles in front of you. That dust will tend to be lower down so the air is more clean higher up.

Ah my bad on not picking up on the joke lol. It’s a pretty common misconception that snorkels are only valuable for water fording.

I think it’s less about a dust storm where like you say, you’re screwed, and rather dust kicked up by vehicles in front of you. That dust will tend to be lower down so the air is more clean higher up.

height of the cloud is related to air currents, particle sizes, speed, and following distance.

Ah that would make sense as it would create a much stronger suction force on the intake.

And most likely a related factor is the air filter that the diesel uses (because of the turbo) which is a much finer mesh and almost certainly more prone to clogging from airborne particulates of this nature.

Back