Safety Chain Hook-ups - Piling On

Crosby Galvanized 1"

Fastenal 1"

Fastenal appears to have a higher WLL, at least between these two and galvanized is a bit more expensive. The Crosby 17K WLL is less expensive though.

They both show 17k lbs from what I see. **never mind, I see it now. Reading comprehension was never my strength...

I prefer the crosby 2130 series only because it is what I am familiar with.

Yea they look like they have the same WLL so whichever you can find cheaper would make sense. The documentation there says design factor is 4.5:1 though???

Different series have different design factors. Also, the highest WLL rated shackles have an even lower design factor. (Go figure!)

Strength of materials to weight, size, and cost becomes the issue.

Different series have different design factors. Also, the highest WLL rated shackles have an even lower design factor. (Go figure!)

Strength of materials to weight, size, and cost becomes the issue.
Makes sense. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Pick a size that works and good luck breaking 'em.

Another note on the design factor, the 5:1 is listed as the minimum for the carbon shackles in that size, but crosby has published that their carbon shackles in the 209 and 2130 series are designed at 6:1.

Attachments

• 74.pdf
    79.3 KB · Views: 17
I'd go with the 1" with the 25000 pound WLL because you never know when you may need to lift the truck with a crane from a ditch.
I went with the 7/8" 1" screw pin for the Factor55 hitch adapter (2.5" as I'm a lowly 7.3) because it matches the 1" hole on the Factor55.

The hitch will get ripped out of the truck before the adapter or shackle fail so I think I feel pretty good about it! ?

Most trailer safety chain hooks only have a 3/4” opening. So 1/2” diameter hammerlocks are the way to go to get the best WLL

Most trailer safety chain hooks only have a 3/4” opening. So 1/2” diameter hammerlocks are the way to go to get the best WLL

I don't tow other trailers much, so that is good info.

I guess mine is non-standard.

14k lb trailer with 5/16" clevis hook safety chain has a 1" jaw opening.

Attachments

• IMG_1825 copy.png
    IMG_1825 copy.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 122
It's not a little trailer. It's a double axle trailer with a GVR of just shy of 8000 lbs. Not exactly a little class ii guy. I'm guessing the hooks are fairly standard. Seems the design team didn't do a good analysis of customer requirements.

YEAH your little eitty bitty TRAILER Tiny Trailer Club

Anchor shackles are a lot more convenient but keep in mind the one posted has a rated working load of 2,200#. The hammerlocks typically recommended are 12,000#.

I couldn't find the link for the 3/4" that I bought that have a working load of 6050# each. Thanks for the note and sorry about the poor info.

Back