Safety Chain Hook-ups - Piling On

2x the load limit and cleaner look
That's entirely subjective since I consider a "cleaner look" not having nipple rings hanging off the back of my truck 24/7. :giggle:

Either works fine I just like the option of taking stuff off and putting away when not in use. ?

Honestly, I would prefer it being to thick and impossible to attach a s
That's entirely subjective since I consider a "cleaner look" not having nipple rings hanging off the back of my truck 24/7. :giggle:

Either works fine I just like the option of taking stuff off and putting away when not in use. ?
I never thought of my my shackles as comparible to nipple rings. That made me laugh!
I guess I need to get some tattoos (err stickers) now!

I just went ahead and ordered a few sets of larger hooks for the main trailers I tow. I’ve been using shackles, and will still leave them in the truck, but after using my neighbors dump trailer with larger hooks it made me want to simplify.

How about zip ties? You can fix anything with those

About a dozen of these on each side should do the trick! ?

About a dozen of these on each side should do the trick! ?
perfect

But seriously, just to add to the discussion about bow shackles vs hammerlocks. Shackles aren't necessarily rated for "shock" loads but rather static loads with hoisting and rigging. If used with a kinetic rope for recovery they are probably safe but I can't speak to safety chain use. I've used them in vehicle recovery and placed a significant shock on them when used with a tow strap (not advised) and had no problems but then again I wasn't hauling a 10k lb trailer at 65 mph down the highway. Can't be any less safe than a regular hook with a rod and cotter pin holding it all together. I've not run into hook issues with the trailers I've towed so far but I think I would lean toward the bow shackle for convenience despite everything I just said above. I don't like the idea of having hammerlocks swinging back there all the time. They'll get in the way of my truck nuts

I'm confused at what the issue is. Every trailer I have pulled, the trailer chain hooks go on with no problem. I even pulled my buddy's 4x8 trailer the other day and those small chain hooks went on easily. I turn the hooks up and towards me then hook from underneath and up through the hole. Easy Peasy!! I get it, you guys just want fancy shackles or stronger hammerlocks. It's ok, I won't tell your wives you're wasting money lol.

@Vrybusy @modified i looked at that company because someone posted that not to long ago. But after looking them up the products are not really made in America.

If you go to thier website i was only able to find the statment: American Operated. Not American Made.

FAQ:
Q – Where are your products manufactured?
A – All of our products are designed, engineered and lab tested here in the USA, however, due to the extremely high cost of manufacturing locally, we source raw materials and manufacture overseas in order to keep the cost of our products competitive in our global marketplace.

Im not saying anything against the product. But was a little miss leading.

China made like everything else .... They the president was creating high taxes on china to bring that manufacturing back to the USA .... But we want everything to be cheap....
I rented a 20 ft trailer from sun belt and the hooks did not fit at all no matter which way you tried to put them in but I had the hammer locks just in case for this situation

It's better to have it and not need it then not have it and need it

The problem I see it if the hooks are to small they don't fit ... If they are to big they don't fit ... They have to be the same size ... And not all hooks are made the same

Also I am single I tell at me self for spending money all the time ? but I still do it

Attachments

• 20200819_151926.jpg
    20200819_151926.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 113
But seriously, just to add to the discussion about bow shackles vs hammerlocks. Shackles aren't necessarily rated for "shock" loads but rather static loads with hoisting and rigging. If used with a kinetic rope for recovery they are probably safe but I can't speak to safety chain use. I've used them in vehicle recovery and placed a significant shock on them when used with a tow strap (not advised) and had no problems but then again I wasn't hauling a 10k lb trailer at 65 mph down the highway. Can't be any less safe than a regular hook with a rod and cotter pin holding it all together. I've not run into hook issues with the trailers I've towed so far but I think I would lean toward the bow shackle for convenience despite everything I just said above. I don't like the idea of having hammerlocks swinging back there all the time. They'll get in the way of my truck nuts

Got your priorities straight in order I see!

Was in Harbor Freight yesterday (love that store!) and picked up two shackles for $9.99 each. Cheap, easy to install, problem solved.

Not to kick a dead horse, but I just hooked up my ATV/Utility trailer for the first time.

Holy crap! WTF were they thinking? Hammerlocks, here I come. Or shackles. Or something. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Sorry. I just had to get that out.
Has to do with DOT regulation and the size of hooks for certain capacity trailers. Having a CDL the officers are always telling me I should know this!! I can't keep up I them

Back