Replacing the fuel filters

Why let it drain that much even , 30-60 oz?

PTT (video above) makes it very clear that if one has water in the fuel it would drain out first, within a few ounces into the procedure. So if you have another few milligrams of water left in there its not a big deal, drain it next time. I feel like folks let it go to the extreme with these sacred procedures, not always following common sense.

Why let it drain that much even , 30-60 oz?

PTT (video above) makes it very clear that if one has water in the fuel it would drain out first, within a few ounces into the procedure. So if you have another few milligrams of water left in there its not a big deal, drain it next time. I feel like folks let it go to the extreme with these sacred procedures, not always following common sense.
We are talking about “Replacing the fuel filters” here as is titled by the op. When replacing the fuel filter I let it drain until it stops so I don’t spill diesel all over the place when I drop the filter.

Sure, if you are just doing the routine procedure of “draining any possible water build up in the diesel filter”, of course you aren’t draining much at all as the water settles to the bottom. But we are taking about dropping the filter and replacing it.

I may have missed this somewhere else here, but I haven’t seen it addressed. What are you guys doing with all the fuel you are draining?

I may have missed this somewhere else here, but I haven’t seen it addressed. What are you guys doing with all the fuel you are draining?
Take it to your local hazardous waste disposal facility. It’s not worth risking putting it back in the tank with how fickle the CP4 pump is . Or use it to start your burn barrel. Just a few thoughts

What are you guys doing with all the fuel you are draining?

If I don't see water in it I pour it back into my tank. I figured anything that I overlooked would get caught in the filter or fuel/water separator 🫣

I catch it in my oil drain pan (it’s already under the truck for the concurrent engine oil change) and give it and the used oil to a guy I know who burns it in a furnace that he retrofitted to run on used oils. I believe that the majority of the Pep Boys, Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts type stores also take back used oil. (Well as least they used to) The oil and fuel still contain plenty of btu’s so there are definitely people out there who will take it and reuse it in some way.

I would not recommend putting it back into the truck. Personally, it’s not worth the potential costs and headaches by contaminating the fuel system to try and save a few dollars.

I believe that the majority of the Pep Boys, Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts type stores also take back used oil. (Well as least they used to)
Correct. I believe it’s required by law for any location that sells oil to the general public (raw, not in a vehicle or whatever) to also accept oil for recycling.

I catch it in my oil drain pan (it’s already under the truck for the concurrent engine oil change) and give it and the used oil to a guy I know who burns it in a furnace that he retrofitted to run on used oils. I believe that the majority of the Pep Boys, Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts type stores also take back used oil. (Well as least they used to) The oil and fuel still contain plenty of btu’s so there are definitely people out there who will take it and reuse it in some way.

I would not recommend putting it back into the truck. Personally, it’s not worth the potential costs and headaches by contaminating the fuel system to try and save a few dollars.
Exactly this. It goes in my catch can with the oil and then I take it to the local auto parts store who has a recycler.

I use wood chips and diesel for fire starter with my wood stove. (OIT)🧐

Make sure your tank is under half when you do it other wise that sucker will keep draining
Yeah I looked up a few threads on other forums. My tank was full so I will wait until this weekend. Thanks.

Try to change filters with less than half a tank as others have said.

If it seems like it is draining more than a half gallon or so, start loosening the bolts and it will break the siphon and you will be all set.

I also put the drained fuel in the waste oil jug.

When I drain/check the fuel for water, I catch it in a 32oz glass mason jar. I fill it about 1/2 full and let it sit on the bench for a bit to see if there is any water in the fuel. After an hour or so, any water will have settled to the bottom of the jar and you can see it.

For what its worth, I have only had water one time, on my 2017 that I bought used. I checked as soon as I got it home from the dealer and there was about a table spoon of water in the jar. Never had water since on any of the 6.7's I've had.

Back