Recall: Loose/Sagging Underbody Insulator - 7.3 gassers Drive shaft - Diesel Beast not effected

ccw

Carpet Delete Missionary
Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F-350 Tremor 7.3L
Current Ride #2
1980 Mazda RX-7
On a whim decided to check for recalls on my truck (adding that to my oil change process) and turns out there is one! Issued February 16, 2022, so quite new.

I can't find any details on which specific years and models it applies to, but you can look up recalls for your specific truck here:

Seems like it should be a pretty easy fix if it's done before any driveshaft damage happens, but experience will tell obviously.

Here's the text of the recall, and a screenshot is attached:

Description​

ON YOUR VEHICLE, AN UNDERBODY INSULATOR MAY LOOSEN AND CONTACT THE ALUMINUM DRIVESHAFT, RESULTING IN MARKING OR SCORING OF THE DRIVESHAFT. CONTINUED CONTACT MAY RESULT IN DRIVESHAFT FRACTURE.

Safety Risk​

A FRACTURED DRIVESHAFT POSES THE RISKS OF LOSS OF MOTIVE POWER WHILE DRIVING, UNINTENDED VEHICLE MOVEMENT WHILE THE VEHICLE IS IN PARK IF THE PARKING BRAKE IS NOT APPLIED, AND SECONDARY DAMAGE TO SURROUNDING COMPONENTS. A FRACTURED DRIVESHAFT MAY ALSO CONTACT THE GROUND WHICH MAY CAUSE LOSS OF CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE WHILE DRIVING. A FRACTURED DRIVESHAFT INCREASES THE RISK OF INJURY OR CRASH.

Remedy​

FORD MOTOR COMPANY HAS AUTHORIZED YOUR DEALER TO SECURE THE UNDERBODY INSULATOR AND INSPECT THE DRIVESHAFT FOR DAMAGE AND REPAIR AS NECESSARY FREE OF CHARGE PARTS AND LABOR.

Campaign/NHTSA#​

22S09/22v087

Attachments

• 1645590104963.png
    1645590104963.png
    301.7 KB · Views: 10,992
Interesting, it didn’t show up when I searched for the recall with my VIN. 2022 F-350 6.7. Wonder what triggers the recall for your vehicle?

Interesting, it didn’t show up when I searched for the recall with my VIN. 2022 F-350 6.7. Wonder what triggers the recall for your vehicle?
Ya I have no idea. Maybe it's still propagating through the system? FWIW my truck is a 7.3L, so perhaps it's gas trucks only for some reason?

It's showing up for my 2022 7.3.

Showing up for me as well. 2022 7.3

I should clarify… not showing up on the ford pass app. It does show up on the nhsta.gov website.

Attachments

• EF6D6030-E634-40D6-8D66-D47F05172D03.png
    EF6D6030-E634-40D6-8D66-D47F05172D03.png
    267.9 KB · Views: 69
Maybe that’s it then, something different between the 7.3 and the 6.7.

Showing up for me as well. 2022 7.3

I should clarify… not showing up on the ford pass app. It does show up on the nhsta.gov website.
Same here... mine shows on nhsta but not FordPass

Interesting, shows up for mine too. 2021 7.3, manufacture date 03/21…..

Looks like it may be the same recall they had on the 150s a couple months ago.

I posted a video a while back about the same recall for the F150's. Looks like it migrated to the Super Duty trucks which I thought it may. Here is a video I did for the F150’s that describe the problem. Those insulators can be rubbing on other components like fuel lines that can cause additional damage. Maybe I’ll do a new video just for our trucks.

Last edited:
The Ford site is not accurate. I punched my VIN in and it shows "No Recalls" however I definitely have the axle recall outstanding...

FordPass app shows 1 recall but when I tap on the icon it navigates to the Ford site where it tell me again, "No Recalls"

Edit: the NHSTA site also shows no recalls for my VIN...

2022 7.3 with no recall listed on either ford.com or nhtsa.com. Build date could be next drill down. Mine ... 12/21.
Mine is 12/21 too and it's showing a recall. Not sure how they update the website, may just take a while. The good news is that it should be a fairly simple remedy.

Mine is 12/21 too and it's showing a recall. Not sure how they update the website, may just take a while. The good news is that it should be a fairly simple remedy.

Maybe trim level is next point?

Yeah, simple remedy and one would think if a hard part is rubbing the drive shaft it could be heard and if necessary crudely dealt with on the side of the road. Doesn't seem like too big of a concern unless it is left unattended for some time.

Maybe trim level is next point?

Yeah, simple remedy and one would think if a hard part is rubbing the drive shaft it could be heard and if necessary crudely dealt with on the side of the road. Doesn't seem like too big of a concern unless it is left unattended for some time.
My truck went in for undercoating and they showed me this insulator sitting right on the driveshaft. It was completely silent, yet had left one very polished stretch of shaft. There were no symptoms at all.

I posted a video a while back about the same recall for the F150's. Looks like it migrated to the Super Duty trucks which I thought it may. Here is a video I did for the F150’s that describe the problem. Those insulators can be rubbing on other components like fuel lines that can cause additional damage. Maybe I’ll do a new video just for our trucks.

nice vid, just took a look under my truck and the heat shield/insulation setup looks nothing like whats in the vid. Nothing is anywhere near the driveshaft, think ford might be over cautious when it comes to superduty Tremors.

Here’s more information on this recall. Looks like it affects gassers only, but a quarter mill of them!
Holy smokes! Got scheduled at my dealer for April 1st to have the addressed, and happy I did! That’s going to fill up some service departments.

Back