Rats!

For rats I use a slice or small chunk of apple. With victor snap traps I use a bread bag wire tie to secure the apple to the trigger, works awesome. For the havahart traps I put the apple in a magnetic spring clip and stick it to the trigger, also works great. But I don’t take them down the road and let them go, I throw the whole thing in a barrel of water 😁. I friggin hate rats! Sometimes I load the revolver with .38 CCI shotshells and go into the henhouse with a streamlight and just start blasting them, good fun actually!
Apples and cranberries. This is how I get rats, but I use one of the newfangled plastic super traps. I suppose they would work with a humane trap as well. They seem to love cranberries for some reason.

Air Force sniper team practices at Joint Base Lewis-McChord > Air ...

A fun Saturday night waiting for rats!
That's @Rodd187!

Using old fashioned snap traps to control mice, I had good results using original flavor Wheat Thins.

Same issue with not wanting to use any kind of poison because of all the wonderful wildlife around my house. Bald eagles, hawks, owls, red foxes, even the occasional bobcat. I don't think the black bears and mountain lions go after tiny critters like mice, but I'm not sure.

This trap is super cool because it can kill a million of them before it runs out of CO2, so one trap doesnt just equal one kill. I also like that they just die in place and some other critter can come pick them up (coyote, hawks, etc).

https://www.automatictrap.com/
Oh wow, they have a bigger model for SQUIRRELS! Bookmarked and I'm gonna get all over that.

The squirrels around here have cost me literally thousands in damages to my garage/house/trucks over the last decade+.

Peppermint oil is good deterrent but it has to be kept fresh. I used to keep my tractor in an old barn on our remote property and finally found these beanbag like pouches soaked in peppermint oil that actually kept the rodents away from the seat and wires.

I have since bought two shipping containers that keeps out all rodents and bugs. Great cheap storage solution as long as it is somewhere you are not concerned with appearance.

Also trap location is important. Rats and mice like dark passageways at the corner of the room. Try leaning a piece of wood against the wall over the trap to make it like a tunnel. But they’re wary, it might take a few days for them to get up the nerve to check out something new in the space.
Good plan. I will move this to a slightly different spot where it’s more hidden and along the wall. 😎

A cat will take care of the rats. So will a snake but most females can’t stand a snake.

Air Force sniper team practices at Joint Base Lewis-McChord > Air ...

A fun Saturday night waiting for rats!
Awesome! Never too soon to plan for Christmas gifts and I never know what to get @Vermonster - he is the "Man who has everything..."

I'll put ghillie suit on my shopping list. :p

Agree! I have my mouse traps along the wall edge of indoor rooms (basement, shed) and that seems to work well.
I tend to put them along the base of the wall too, and that works well! I even have a bucket-o-death that I built - 5 gal pale with about 8" of water in it. I have a few ramps up to it, and a bottle covered with peanut butter suspended over the water by an arrow that I use as a skewer through the bottle. Just random stuff I had laying around.

Last night I tried to make the rat trap less skunk friendly. Strike out last night, but I will try again this evening.

Go to hardware store and tell them you want snap trapp big enough for a cocker spaniel...Use the big snap trap..put it where he coming out in the pic so he has to step on it...you could also try one of the RF/sonic plug units to keep it away, May drive other stuff in the barn ape shit...RMV

Way cool! Can't wait to see your results...
Me too!! Haha!
This is officially the most interesting thread in Fordtremor.com lol…. Thanks for being the test subject I can not wait to see results.
Well - we will see! I hope to have a line of dead rats to share. May blur the images - battlefield images, and all. 😉

Back