Fly Fishing: A gathering place for those who like to stand in a river waving a stick around.

TRAMPER

Your mind is a weapon, keep it loaded.
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2023 F350 XLT Premium Tremor, SAP, 7.3L
Current Ride #2
2023 F150 XLT Lightning, Extended range, 312A, Tow Tech/ Max Tow
I searched for a Fly Fishing thread and while it appears that are a lot of us that like to stand in a river and wave a stick around there is no single thread for such discussion.

I’d like to focus this thread on us purists that actually know how to fish but if the occasional bait and tackle folks stop by we can probably find a place for them, or at least try to show them the light. (This is sarcasm for those that don’t know me or my odd sense of humor, maybe go visit my 500+ post pheasant thread before you ever think I’m serious…. About anything…)

Maybe this thread can serve as a connection too for people with like interests to meet up and do some fishing together.

I’d like it if people shared some information about themselves and their fishing backgrounds. Maybe some pictures of some catches from the last few years.

My interests in Fishing are really only focused on Salmonids but I know plenty of people that chase other game fish with a Fly Rod as well.

Post away!!!!

Last edited:
I’ll go first. I learned how to fly fish in high school, I was taught by a purist. Practiced casting in his backyard for weeks before he would take me to a river.

First and primary river I learned on was the Farmington in CT, one of the best on the East Coast if not the country. The gentleman who taught me allowed me to learn on some of his vintage bamboo rods… it was spiritual even as I young man i knew how lucky I was.

Fast forward 30 years living in NY i still have access to some amazing water. I have recently renewed my passion and have been fishing more these past few years than I did in the previous 15.

I’m almost embarrassed to admit that I’ve really taken to Euro Nymph fishing, even though dry fly is the most interesting the sheer number of fish I can connect with on a Euro rod is staggering.

As of today (April 27th 2024) I’ve been out twice this year in the Central NY area both times with a Euro Rod. Caught maybe a dozen fish total but man it felt good! My next day or two off I’ll probably head to the Delaware and get some dry fly time in.

Last edited:
IMG_2210.jpeg

IMG_2226.jpeg

IMG_2223.jpeg

Here’s a few from the first day out, last Tuesday, these were all stockers, which aren’t really my thing.

IMG_2273.jpeg

IMG_2269.jpeg
IMG_2268.jpeg
IMG_2263.jpeg
IMG_2259.jpeg
IMG_2267.jpeg

And here’s a few from Friday, this was a MUCH prettier river that I had never fished before. It’s remote enough that the people who fish it left not even a single piece of trash on the ground. It was an amazing stream and one I plan to visit again SOON!!!

IMG_2277.jpeg

IMG_2222.jpeg

First evidence of any hatches I’ve seen so far this year. Stonefly and a small Mayfly (the second I only noticed because it flew behind my lens!).

Last edited:
One day I'll learn.... Guys around here fly fish for saltwater redfish, I'd like to do that first before I go on a stream looking like an idiot 🤣

Cool thread @TRAMPER!! I’ve always been a bait and tackle guy, never fly fished, but would love to learn the craft at some point in the future. Looking forward to hearing everyone’s stories and seeing pictures.

Cool thread @TRAMPER!! I’ve always been a bait and tackle guy, never fly fished, but would love to learn the craft at some point in the future. Looking forward to hearing everyone’s stories and seeing pictures.
No time like the present! I’d find a buddy that somewhat knows what he’s doing and ask to tag along. Another interesting option that didn’t exist when I learned is YouTube…. Casting., fly choice, all if it is just a click away now. Don’t let the real nerds intimidate you, you don’t need to know Latin names of insects to catch fish….

Every single fish I caught on Friday was this little Lively Legz fly…. In fact I never even lost one so that was the only fly I used lol.
IMG_2300.png

My point is people make it out to be an experts game. If you want to make it a lifestyle that’s fine but almost anyone can go out and catch fish with a little guidance! Good luck!

Love this thread. I grew up fishing but not with a fly. My college years were spent on the rivers of northern CA learning to fly fish chasing steelhead. Got a job, got married and had a few kids. Fast forward 20+ years and I am just starting to dust the fly rods off again. I’ve still fishing but mostly bait and hardware. Planning a trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone so I have been at the park practicing my fly casting for the last week or two. It really is a diminishing skill (casting) but it’s coming back to me. Thanks Tramper for a couple Yellowstone tips!!! I am really excited to get the fly rods out and back on the rivers.

I built a fly rod in college (4 weight) that has never seen the water. I hope after my trip to Wyoming it has a fishy smell on it!

Anyone that has fished Yellowstone and wants to offer tips I’m all ears. PM me if you want. I’m the guy that has to go to the local fly shop and ask for the correct flies to throw. I’m just smart enough to know I don’t know what I’m doing but always looking for advise.

Love this thread. I grew up fishing but not with a fly. My college years were spent on the rivers of northern CA learning to fly fish chasing steelhead. Got a job, got married and had a few kids. Fast forward 20+ years and I am just starting to dust the fly rods off again. I’ve still fishing but mostly bait and hardware. Planning a trip to the Tetons and Yellowstone so I have been at the park practicing my fly casting for the last week or two. It really is a diminishing skill (casting) but it’s coming back to me. Thanks Tramper for a couple Yellowstone tips!!! I am really excited to get the fly rods out and back on the rivers.

I built a fly rod in college (4 weight) that has never seen the water. I hope after my trip to Wyoming it has a fishy smell on it!

Anyone that has fished Yellowstone and wants to offer tips I’m all ears. PM me if you want. I’m the guy that has to go to the local fly shop and ask for the correct flies to throw. I’m just smart enough to know I don’t know what I’m doing but always looking for advise.
My experience was similar, it’s amazing how life comes at you and you lose touch with your younger self. Super glad you’re getting back into it! I find it to be such a great escape from the hustle and bustle of everything now a days…. I occasionally catch myself just staring at nature and not even fishing, that’s when I know I’m happy. You’ll catch fish in Yellowstone.

Two words: Chubby Chernobyl

(Seriously that’s like the only fly you need). Get a few sizes and colors but those Cutty’s are EAGER!

When I met my wife, her father made me go out on float tubes for 14 hours of fly fishing, while he grilled me on all things. Didn’t necessarily enjoy that, but did enjoy fly fishing. I do enjoy it, but I’m still learning about all the flies and names and such. I feel good about my technique, but feel very clueless on the flies themselves. If anyone has any suggestions for books that would help, I would love to know. Hoping to get some fishing in this summer in Wyoming again. Last summer I caught a dream cutthroat in Yellowstone lake, but they weren’t really hitting the flies so it was on a spoon.

When I met my wife, her father made me go out on float tubes for 14 hours of fly fishing, while he grilled me on all things. Didn’t necessarily enjoy that, but did enjoy fly fishing. I do enjoy it, but I’m still learning about all the flies and names and such. I feel good about my technique, but feel very clueless on the flies themselves. If anyone has any suggestions for books that would help, I would love to know. Hoping to get some fishing in this summer in Wyoming again. Last summer I caught a dream cutthroat in Yellowstone lake, but they weren’t really hitting the flies so it was on a spoon.
So flies are kind of a tough thing to learn from a book. The trick is every river system is a little different and where you live the bugs are nothing like the bugs where I live.

That said as I mentioned above just go into a local fly shop and when they aren’t super busy ask them for a few pointers it fly suggestions. It is sorta their job, now they won’t give you some secret spot but that’s how I started fishing in the west and had some great luck.

Tbh the fish in Wyoming are not at all tricky to catch. If you can get away from the crowds a little and drift a Chubby down the river mid summer you will absolutely catch fish…. The key being get just far enough away from the crowds the fish aren’t pressured. Water temps are run off early season is what makes it hard out there….

Now if you come and fish with me in NY on the Delaware, you’d be stunned at what flies a trout will nose up to and refuse, crystal clear water and tons of food make for picky fish. Out west where the season is short the fish wanna eat!

There are a few YouTube channels that focus on backcountry fishing in the West that can help with flies too, but generally a hopper/ dropper rig with attractor flies will catch fish.

Good luck!!

Haven't done much, but my son and I would go out on the Au Sable in Northern MI when we had a cottage up that way... We would also take our fly rods to some smaller rivers in that area and see what we could catch. I think that was just as much fun!

I got into fly fishing in my late twenties, and went off the deep end. When I caught a trout with my own hand tied fly, that was it, game on. In my 30’s I became a guide, and spent many rewarding years working the Truckee River, Carson & Walker rivers, Pyramid Lake, and many other Sierra waters. When Czech nymphing came along, we discovered it to be VERY effective in steep gradient rivers and streams. I’m not a snob, I will fish for just about anything, with any method. But there’s nothing like fly fishing and the reward of tying your own flies to “match the hatch”.
IMG_0024.jpeg

I got into fly fishing in my late twenties, and went off the deep end. When I caught a trout with my own hand tied fly, that was it, game on. In my 30’s I became a guide, and spent many rewarding years working the Truckee River, Carson & Walker rivers, Pyramid Lake, and many other Sierra waters. When Czech nymphing came along, we discovered it to be VERY effective in steep gradient rivers and streams. I’m not a snob, I will fish for just about anything, with any method. But there’s nothing like fly fishing and the reward of tying your own flies to “match the hatch”. View attachment 154049
See now this is a guy I gotta meet!!! Nice fish!

I’ve been talking about a Pyramid trip for a few years now…

My life’s passion. Lucky that my backyard is in some of the greatest trout water in the nation. I don’t like to talk about “purist” fishing. If you like to catch fish on bait, I’m just excited you like to fish as long as the environment is treated with respect as well as the fish!!
IMG_2015.jpeg
IMG_5383.jpeg
IMG_8925.jpeg
IMG_3286.jpeg

I just started getting into it this year. Went out on my first trip in February, didn't catch anything, but also didn't expect to since I was just learning the technique. What a great time it was just to stand in the water and enjoy the views and sounds of the river. We went right after a large multi day storm so the rivers were really moving, which didn't make for an easy time to spot or catch any fish.

I still have so much to learn about this hobby so I'm glad this thread was started. I'll be following this one quite a bit lol

Some pics from our trip. Had some beers at a local brewery after a day of fishin with no luck. At least I caught a buzz.

DSC00725.jpeg
IMG_4990.jpeg
IMG_4986.jpeg
IMG_4992.jpeg

IMG_9664.jpeg

IMG_9660.jpeg

IMG_9215.png
IMG_9217.jpeg

IMG_9216.png

Alright, I’ll throw a few western beauties in there too. I wish I lived closer I’d fish out west every year if I could.

See now this is a guy I gotta meet!!! Nice fish!

I’ve been talking about a Pyramid trip for a few years now…
You’ve got to experience Pyramid. At first it seems so barren, stark, and intimidating. But it quickly grows on you, becoming mystical, rewarding, and almost cult-like. There’s no place like it on earth. The lighting on the desert landscape, the way storms quickly roll in and out, the legends, and the tribal experience, it all makes it such a unique and unforgettable place. Oh and not to mention that you stand on ladders to fish for the largest cutthroat trout in the world…. try it, you’ll like it.
IMG_0062.jpeg
IMG_0063.jpeg

You’ve got to experience Pyramid. At first it seems so barren, stark, and intimidating. But it quickly grows on you, becoming mystical, rewarding, and almost cult-like. There’s no place like it on earth. The lighting on the desert landscape, the way storms quickly roll in and out, the legends, and the tribal experience, it all makes it such a unique and unforgettable place. Oh and not to mention that you stand on ladders to fish for the largest cutthroat trout in the world…. try it, you’ll like it.View attachment 154070View attachment 154071
Homies did a group buy on those ladder chairs 🤣

Back