Fly Fishing: A gathering place for those who like to stand in a river waving a stick around.

I’m no fly fisherman yet but camped at this state park years ago with my wife and we used light spinning reel. It’s really neat seeing the hatchery operation. There are some monsters in there. At the time they were stocking the river daily. It’s a perfect spot for kids to enjoy and learn.

I sure hope to have some pictures like you all soon. Heading to Utah and Wyoming at the end of the month for a week of fishing. It’s been almost 20 years since I have used my fly rods and have been practicing my cast daily at the park. I sure hope once I get my line in the water it is like riding a bike! I’m mainly a bait and gear guy but cannot wait to leave the spinning rods at home and unpack my fly rod on the rivers soon.

I sure hope to have some pictures like you all soon. Heading to Utah and Wyoming at the end of the month for a week of fishing. It’s been almost 20 years since I have used my fly rods and have been practicing my cast daily at the park. I sure hope once I get my line in the water it is like riding a bike! I’m mainly a bait and gear guy but cannot wait to leave the spinning rods at home and unpack my fly rod on the rivers soon.
Lotta fish out there! Only trick is run off and water levels this time of year. It can be pretty tough depending on the winters snow pack, or it can be great. Either way you’ll have fun!

IMG_5179.jpeg
IMG_7269.jpeg
IMG_7271.jpeg
IMG_5132.jpeg
IMG_6818.jpeg
IMG_6561.jpeg
IMG_6563.jpeg
IMG_1748.jpeg
IMG_1745.jpeg
I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio fishing with bait and lures. Mostly for bass and bluegill in the small ponds and lakes, but also for walleye and perch in Lake Erie. I didn’t get into fly fishing until I was 20. I went to Fort Lewis Cillege in Durango, CO and needed a PE class. Lucky for me they offered fly fishing to fulfill those credits! Quickly turned into a trout bum fishing the Animas, Florida, Pine, small mountain streams and the aquarium known as the San Juan Rver in New Mexico. Now it is all I want to do besides ride my mountain bike and skiing in the winter. Been full time on the road for close to two years now. Last summer we volunteered on the Smith River in Montana for the float season. I got to spend 30 days rafting the Smith. This summer I am based in Moran, Wyoming.
IMG_7461.jpeg
IMG_5175.jpeg
IMG_7459.jpeg
IMG_7338.jpeg
IMG_5132.jpeg
Currently the water is pretty colored up due to runoff here in the Tetons. Heading down the hill on Monday to fish the Wind River in Dubois. Anyone who is going to be in the Jackson Hole/Teton/Yellowstone area feel free to hit me up. I always appreciate a fishing buddy … even if my main motivation is for another set of eyes to look out for the bears 😉 They are out in force right now on the valley floors

Attachments

• IMG_7288.jpeg
    IMG_7288.jpeg
    466.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7376.jpeg
    IMG_7376.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2514.jpeg
    IMG_2514.jpeg
    468.6 KB · Views: 6
View attachment 155973View attachment 155974View attachment 155975View attachment 155976View attachment 155977View attachment 155978View attachment 155979View attachment 155980View attachment 155981I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio fishing with bait and lures. Mostly for bass and bluegill in the small ponds and lakes, but also for walleye and perch in Lake Erie. I didn’t get into fly fishing until I was 20. I went to Fort Lewis Cillege in Durango, CO and needed a PE class. Lucky for me they offered fly fishing to fulfill those credits! Quickly turned into a trout bum fishing the Animas, Florida, Pine, small mountain streams and the aquarium known as the San Juan Rver in New Mexico. Now it is all I want to do besides ride my mountain bike and skiing in the winter. Been full time on the road for close to two years now. Last summer we volunteered on the Smith River in Montana for the float season. I got to spend 30 days rafting the Smith. This summer I am based in Moran, Wyoming. View attachment 155967View attachment 155966View attachment 155968View attachment 155970View attachment 155976Currently the water is pretty colored up due to runoff here in the Tetons. Heading down the hill on Monday to fish the Wind River in Dubois. Anyone who is going to be in the Jackson Hole/Teton/Yellowstone area feel free to hit me up. I always appreciate a fishing buddy … even if my main motivation is for another set of eyes to look out for the bears 😉 They are out in force right now on the valley floors
Man a real life trout bum! I’ll admit I’m totally jealous!!! If my life had taken a different turn I think that could have been me as well. For now I settle for 5 or 6 weeks a year bumming around. Actually headed to the Beaverkill tomorrow since I’m not done bumping this week lol. I wish I was out there with you, I love that area and would happily be your second set of eyes!

I’m just an east coast flatlander but in all my trips out west this has seemed to give me the most peace of mind in big bear country. Hill People Gear chest pack with a few survival goodies inside but honestly kept pretty light, bear spray attached to the bottom so I can’t lose it and Glock 20 with Buffalo Bore Hard Cast 10mm bullets loaded up. I wear a waist pack with a net tucked in to not interfere with anything up front.
IMG_1751.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 155973View attachment 155974View attachment 155975View attachment 155976View attachment 155977View attachment 155978View attachment 155979View attachment 155980View attachment 155981I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio fishing with bait and lures. Mostly for bass and bluegill in the small ponds and lakes, but also for walleye and perch in Lake Erie. I didn’t get into fly fishing until I was 20. I went to Fort Lewis Cillege in Durango, CO and needed a PE class. Lucky for me they offered fly fishing to fulfill those credits! Quickly turned into a trout bum fishing the Animas, Florida, Pine, small mountain streams and the aquarium known as the San Juan Rver in New Mexico. Now it is all I want to do besides ride my mountain bike and skiing in the winter. Been full time on the road for close to two years now. Last summer we volunteered on the Smith River in Montana for the float season. I got to spend 30 days rafting the Smith. This summer I am based in Moran, Wyoming. View attachment 155967View attachment 155966View attachment 155968View attachment 155970View attachment 155976Currently the water is pretty colored up due to runoff here in the Tetons. Heading down the hill on Monday to fish the Wind River in Dubois. Anyone who is going to be in the Jackson Hole/Teton/Yellowstone area feel free to hit me up. I always appreciate a fishing buddy … even if my main motivation is for another set of eyes to look out for the bears 😉 They are out in force right now on the valley floors
Great pics and great story. BTW I went to Fort Lewis as well!! That’s where my fly fishing journey began

So I took a few days last week into this week to head down to the Catskills to do a little fishing. Wed was a driving day but I got a little fishing in…. Fished the West Branch of the Delaware.
IMG_2422.jpeg
IMG_2427.jpeg

Thursday I had all day to fish and wanted to try someplace I hadn’t been before. Picked a random spot on the East Branch. TBH the fishing wasn’t good but I had a nesting pair of eagles right above me the whole time. I caught a few dinks but stayed just for the scenery.
IMG_2441.jpeg

IMG_2455.jpeg

Friday the weather was lousy, not that I couldn’t have fished but I figured I could explore the area a bit and ended up at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum. Super cool to see, lots of history from the pioneers of the sport. Also it hosted an entire bamboo rod making shop in one of the buildings. Looks like I didn’t really snap any photos but here’s one I took more for my own knowledge of the local bugs.
IMG_2467.jpeg

The rest of Friday I traveled to my parents house in CT, had some plans for Mother’s Day weekend to see some family but I did see two different black bears while traveling. This little one stuck around for a quick picture from the truck window.
IMG_2480.jpeg

That night I took a few hours to try and see the Auroras which did not disappoint. Sky cleared enough to make the time worthwhile.
123_1.jpeg

IMG_4026.jpeg

After two nights in a house I was ready to get back to camping. Sunday I traveled back into the Catskills and surprisingly found a free “actual campsite” (the others on this trip had been pure boondocking sites. Since I had to travel Sunday I didn’t fish much but did try out the Willowemock with no success. Camp spot was nice and I cracked a fresh bottle of MWND my BIL had given me on this trip.
IMG_2487.jpeg

IMG_2490.jpeg

Monday saw a slower start, perhaps due to the Bourbon but I figured why not try yet another River. Drove over to the Beaverkill and did a little EuroNymph fishing again with limited success. It was a great day though so I enjoyed the sunshine. Wife was starting to miss me so I headed home a day early. All and all a perfect trip with not the fishing that I expected but an adventure just the same.
IMG_2491.jpeg

IMG_2492.jpeg

IMG_2434.jpeg

Last edited:
Back