PPE Premium High Efficiency Oil Filter

Just curious, my ocd would not allow me to put 16qts in a 15qt engine hurts me just thinkin about it lol
Oh I get it, I am OCD as well. My OCD is what actually presses me to do 16 instead of 15 as I hate having 1 measly quart in a gallon jug in my shop... haha.
 
Same and spillover from another thread - I too have started dumping 16qts in my '22MY for the ease of no leftover.
 
I think it's been determined there is no anti-drain back valve and or bypass valve in those due to it being handled within the CAT block/oiling system. (I forget which but that was the determined problem with CAT filters).
That’s great information, I must of missed that . Well cat filter is definitely off the table . God I love this forum.
 
My understanding is there is a lot of room until you are at crankshaft level. An extra quart isn't going to get there. Especially with the larger filter.
I remember reading a post a couple months ago talking about using a 24 MY dipstick to increase the oil capacity and read it safely. It seems nothing has changed in the motor they just shortened the dipstick
 
My dipstick stays in......never pulls out.....always at the right depth.

@Optimus🤖 picking up your light work Bro. Don't be slippin' on us now.
:love: :love: 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲
 
Last edited:
I wonder if the Cat filter with the adapter plate for the 6.7 might be a better option than the ppe filter ?

Isn't the CAT adapter plate much larger as that the ring seal on these filters wouldn't be effective??

I'd love SPE if they made their billet adapter to fit an OEM sized filter. I would run it. :unsure: :unsure:
:cool::cool::cool:🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲
 
Same and spillover from another thread - I too have started dumping 16qts in my '22MY for the ease of no leftover.
so i have a 22 6.7 also. is it safe to say i could run 16qrts with no issues ? i've always used 13qrts. did you get the 24 dip stick when you started using 16qrts ?
 
I am not sure who is interested but I am posting my cut open PPE Premium Filter for the 6.7 PS that I just removed off my rig when changing the oil today. This is the first PPE that I have run and wanted to check to see how things held up. Full disclosure, PPE filter installed at 20K and run for 5K, oil is Triax FS 5w40 (16qts). I swapped out the original oil at 1500K for Triax. I changed the oil again at 5K and then every 5K since. Prior to the PPE I was using Donaldson filters, which I never had any issue with and would have no problem running. I decided to try the PPE as it is 98.7% at 15 micron and 50% at 5 micron along with a magnet in the filter and because it is roughly 20% larger filter area over the OEM/Donaldson/Baldwin/Wix etc. In effect, the 5 micron/50% works well enough for me, pending UOA, rather than putting on a bypass filter.

I have to say that I am impressed with this filter so far. Once I get the UOA back, I'll know just how much of a difference this filter made over the others as I asked for the particulate tests to be performed as well. One thing of note is the magnet. I was nervous at first until I saw that it had really no discernable particulate on it. The one large particle that you can see in the picture is actually from the housing itself while cutting it open. There are a very few grains attached to it so otherwise clean. Looking at the filter media itself and running a very strong magnet (RE) over it, nothing came from it, so I am very happy there.

I can say the plate is very solid and much thicker along with the holes being much bigger as well. With the increased surface area of the media, I wouldn't have any worry about going for an increased drain interval using it. Also, with the larger surface area I am not concerned with denser filter media causing oil starvation even without the bypass. The solid core backs up what was described about keeping the media from collapse along with the adhesive around the outside. As you can see, the filter media is pretty darn clean with 5K miles.

View attachment 214869View attachment 214870View attachment 214871View attachment 214872View attachment 214873View attachment 214874
is the ppe bigger than the stock filter, does it need an adapter ?
 
so i have a 22 6.7 also. is it safe to say i could run 16qrts with no issues ? i've always used 13qrts. did you get the 24 dip stick when you started using 16qrts ?
I know what’s been said in this thread but no way in hell I’d be running 3 qrts high in any engine
 
Considering the common parts across years (upper/ lower pan, filters, etc) I believe the longer OCI is Fords "solution by dilution"
 
is the ppe bigger than the stock filter, does it need an adapter ?
The PPE filter is longer than the normal filters by about 3 inches but no adapter as it is a direct fit. I was a bit worried about the length at first, but it is still up and out of the way to the extent that I've not had any road debris hit it nor has it hit objects when taking the vehicle off road.
 
Considering the common parts across years (upper/ lower pan, filters, etc) I believe the longer OCI is Fords "solution by dilution"
You are spot on here. The fact that they simply changed the length of the dipstick on the 23+ to go from 13 qt to 15 qt lends to that. Further, when I added the extra 1 qt for a total of 16 qt and it is still well under the mark makes me think that one would have to be over 20 qt before hitting the crank. However, I am not looking to overfill or even add more... I just went for the easy route to use 4 full gallons (Triax conveniently sells 4 in a box) instead of having to keep bottle with 1 qt left or a 5 gallon pale with 5 qt left. Over time it just gets to be a real PITA.
 
You are spot on here. The fact that they simply changed the length of the dipstick on the 23+ to go from 13 qt to 15 qt lends to that. Further, when I added the extra 1 qt for a total of 16 qt and it is still well under the mark makes me think that one would have to be over 20 qt before hitting the crank. However, I am not looking to overfill or even add more... I just went for the easy route to use 4 full gallons (Triax conveniently sells 4 in a box) instead of having to keep bottle with 1 qt left or a 5 gallon pale with 5 qt left. Over time it just gets to be a real PITA.
I tried the 5gal one time for my excursion... needless to say even though it's cheaper I will not be doing that again.
 
I tried the 5gal one time for my excursion... needless to say even though it's cheaper I will not be doing that again.
I feel you on that. It is such a pain in the ass to keep and use!
 
I started to buy oil in the 5-gallon buckets and I liked it. Cheaper as others have said, more convenient to me, plus easier to store.

I just keep an empty gallon of the 1-gallon bottles, fill 4 times and done.
 
I started to buy oil in the 5-gallon buckets and I liked it. Cheaper as others have said, more convenient to me, plus easier to store.

I just keep an empty gallon of the 1-gallon bottles, fill 4 times and done.
If I had a shop, I would grab it and just use a pump rather than try to poor. I wasn't even thinking clearly when I got this house enough to get a 3-car garage. Right now, my garage is packed to the brim with tools, parts and quads.

At some point I'll have a shop and then the spending fun begins... a lift, oil in a drum and all kinds of manly man-cave goodness!
 
@MT N8IV
Did you ever post the results of your UOA using the PPE filter?
Are you continuing to run the PPE?
You know, I don't think I ever did. I guess I over promised and under delivered on that one! I know the UOA was good as they all have been and nothing stood out at all. I never look to extend the OCI and I now lean more towards engine hour instead of miles and change between 125 and 150. Those hours translate to 4000-6000 miles anyhow depending on the time of year. I will set a reminder to myself to post my next OC UOA as it will have the previous as well.

I like and continue to use the PPE filters. I have cut the filter open after every change and have found no issues.
 
Back
Top Bottom