Powertrain Failure

RockChalk

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
I seem to have experienced the same hard shifting over the past 5 days that some on this forum have experienced - the hard reverse to drive jolt. I finally got a ford pass notification that I have a powertrain malfunction. 2,684 since it was purchased.

2024 Platinum Tremor
2684 miles

How f’d am I? I’ll give the dealership a call in the morning.

Attachments

• IMG_1057.jpeg
    IMG_1057.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
I mean, not f'd at all... you have a warranty.

Do you have a code reader? If fordpass is talking about it I'd bet there's a code.

And I get in to drive the truck home after bringing dinner over to and picking up my kids from the in laws, the alert on the truck is gone. And it drives completely fine.

Gremlin on the technology hopefully?

I mean, not f'd at all... you have a warranty.

Do you have a code reader? If fordpass is talking about it I'd bet there's a code.
I still plan on calling the dealership to see what they say. In prior vehicles, the idiot light on the dash stayed on.

These transmissions are pure junk and Ford knows it, yet won't do anything about it.

I hope yours is not problematic already??
Has a brand new truck, been on the forum less than a week, no mention of transmission issues with his new truck, yet he says our transmissions are "junk", WTF? Don't get it.

This isn't my first Ford w/ the 10 speed tranny. I'm not talking about failures. I'm talking about terrible shifting, jerky shifting, hard shifts. There is a member on here where his tranny pump failed at 4k miles.

This isn't my first Ford w/ the 10 speed tranny. I'm not talking about failures. I'm talking about terrible shifting, jerky shifting, hard shifts. There is a member on here where his tranny pump failed at 4k miles.
Then why did you buy a Ford with a pure junk transmission?

So, an update to the issue that started the thread. The Ford Store at Morgan Hill said they could see a history of alerts - 6 or so - all the way back to when I picked the truck up to drive home from Granger…which is really weird. Yesterday was the first time the idiot light flashed on the dash and I got an alert on the Ford Pass app. They said I could bring it down for a diagnostic read but if the light on the dash isn’t on, the diagnostic check wont find anything. So, next time it flashes, I have to drive to the dealership so they can check it out, leave the truck there for a few days, and hope the idiot light stays on so they can trouble shoot.

So, an update to the issue that started the thread. The Ford Store at Morgan Hill said they could see a history of alerts - 6 or so - all the way back to when I picked the truck up to drive home from Granger…which is really weird. Yesterday was the first time the idiot light flashed on the dash and I got an alert on the Ford Pass app. They said I could bring it down for a diagnostic read but if the light on the dash isn’t on, the diagnostic check wont find anything. So, next time it flashes, I have to drive to the dealership so they can check it out, leave the truck there for a few days, and hope the idiot light stays on so they can trouble shoot.
They most likely will find failure of the transmission's main valve body failed / failing. I had no warning lights, but reverse->drive jolt. As I mentioned in my thread, dealership said they should never do that when cold, and they also concluded it was bad from the factory... I was given a loaner (suv) while they perform the work. Part was supposed to arrive Monday and 2 days to put it in, but I haven't heard anything since their update this past weekend.

Interesting take from the dealership. I was not aware that's how it worked and have a different understanding.

My understanding of a MIL is to show you there is a current issue that may become more problematic. MIL is another indicator a pending DTC has gone beyond pending status and is in fact a fault at the moment the light Illuminated.

A DTC is a reference to a malfunction that either previously happened and was stored in the memory, is pending, or is currently present. In my experience I have not seen DTCs go away, unless it was "pending" and completed sufficient cycles without the issue presenting itself again. However if it triggered a MIL I thought these were stored until cleared by a scan tool.

Unless someone erased the DTCs, it should be stored and available to view, possibly with FF data to show what was happening when the code tripped.

Hopefully someone more familiar with these newer MYs can chime in.

Get a tune that makes it shift through all the gears. Best thing I did to my 7.3 gasser

It is funny to talk shit about your own investment lol
My "investment" proved again Ford's QC is shit these days. Doesn't mean I don't like Ford's. My brand new truck just got back from getting a caliper replaced and rotors turned. Right out of the box, I had to had to have meat taken off brand new rotors from a faulty caliper. I'm not the only one who complains about the 10 speed tranny. Just because you or others may not have had any issues, doesn't mean the issues aren't there. Isn't Ford leading the way with recalls these days? Just because I own a Ford, a member on this forum, doesn't mean I have to be a die hard Ford fan who doesn't have a right to talk about their product.

My "investment" proved again Ford's QC is shit these days. Doesn't mean I don't like Ford's. My brand new truck just got back from getting a caliper replaced and rotors turned. Right out of the box, I had to had to have meat taken off brand new rotors from a faulty caliper. I'm not the only one who complains about the 10 speed tranny. Just because you or others may not have had any issues, doesn't mean the issues aren't there. Isn't Ford leading the way with recalls these days? Just because I own a Ford, a member on this forum, doesn't mean I have to be a die hard Ford fan who doesn't have a right to talk about their product.
Every manufacturer has issues and failures hints why lemon law was even created. Funny to be like I like fords but the transmissions are shit or I like ford but the engine is crap. If that component really is garbage then you would be an idiot to purchase the vehicle. The engine and transmission are the two most expensive components so if you had that knowledge 99% of people wouldn’t purchase that vehicle.

Interesting take from the dealership. I was not aware that's how it worked and have a different understanding.

My understanding of a MIL is to show you there is a current issue that may become more problematic. MIL is another indicator a pending DTC has gone beyond pending status and is in fact a fault at the moment the light Illuminated.

A DTC is a reference to a malfunction that either previously happened and was stored in the memory, is pending, or is currently present. In my experience I have not seen DTCs go away, unless it was "pending" and completed sufficient cycles without the issue presenting itself again. However if it triggered a MIL I thought these were stored until cleared by a scan tool.

Unless someone erased the DTCs, it should be stored and available to view, possibly with FF data to show what was happening when the code tripped.

Hopefully someone more familiar with these newer MYs can chime in.
The computer actually has 3 different categories of check engine light (categories, not severity); pending, active, and stored. Pending is a minor detection that causes the computer to pay attention but may not have hit a threshold (detecting a misfire but not having enough in a row to warrant a light). Active is pretty self explanatory. There are both solid active and flashing active which do indicate severity. Solid meaning take me to the dealership and flashing meaning "you better turn me off now". Then stored which were actives but the conditions are now gone and the computer detects the system is running as normal (MIL turned off).

I'm beginning to think the dealership's systems only read active codes. I say this because I took my truck in knowing there was a pending code for misfires (per my OBD tool) and when I told them they said they don't see anything.

I'm beginning to think the dealership's systems only read active codes. I say this because I took my truck in knowing there was a pending code for misfires (per my OBD tool) and when I told them they said they don't see anything.

They lied to you probably because they didn’t want to put the effort in to fixing and/or diagnosing the issue. The ford tool/software the dealer uses shows more than other tools do. They can see all that stuff and they just didn’t want to fix it because they could lie and get away with it. They’ll lie when there is a light on and say nothing is wrong or try to blame you for having something plugged into the cigarette lighter or some other bs excuse.

The computer actually has 3 different categories of check engine light (categories, not severity); pending, active, and stored. Pending is a minor detection that causes the computer to pay attention but may not have hit a threshold (detecting a misfire but not having enough in a row to warrant a light). Active is pretty self explanatory. There are both solid active and flashing active which do indicate severity. Solid meaning take me to the dealership and flashing meaning "you better turn me off now". Then stored which were actives but the conditions are now gone and the computer detects the system is running as normal (MIL turned off).

Appreciate your insight. have an IDS which has been the long time go to dealer scan tool for Ford. It rads more than active for sure.

I will say some of the newer trucks require FDRS and I am not familiar with that system.

Back