Overlanding

Took some pics in OK4WD last week. Some nice getups.

20210205_094424.jpg

20210205_094238.jpg

20210205_084843.jpg

How do you like this rack? I am debating either this or a standard yakima roof rack to put over a Retrax tonneau cover. I am having trouble deciding if I should spend the extra $400 for the greater load capability in the event that I decide to throw a tent up there in the future.

Great looking truck by the way.

How do you like this rack? I am debating either this or a standard yakima roof rack to put over a Retrax tonneau cover. I am having trouble deciding if I should spend the extra $400 for the greater load capability in the event that I decide to throw a tent up there in the future.

Great looking truck by the way.
That's the OverHaul. It adjusts down to 18" I believe and there's the OutPost HD that's same design just fixed at 12". Both can be mounted atop Retrax Pro XR T-slots with the tonneau-1 adapter kit. I ended up going with the Front Runner Slimline II rack as it was more readily available as one complete unit than going the Yakima Outpost HD route which involved getting the uprights, the tonneau-1 kit, the HD crossbars, and the side bars to connect the uprights. The uprights and bars can be ordered as a unit but everything else is sold as separate components of varying availability. The Yakima components I just listed cost the same total as the one Front Runner unit. But with those Yakima posts you still just have the cross bars to mount upon. To get the nice big rack @7.3Tremor has mounted on top, you have to shell out even more $$. Plus, (correct me if I'm wrong, @7.3Tremor) the rolling payload of the Yakima setup is reduced from 500lbs to 300lbs if you mount atop Retrax tonneau vs. attaching to truck bed directly. The Front Runner rack for our trucks has 6 uprights and is rated for 600lbs. I'm not bagging on Yakima setup because I was going that route, but the Front Runner rack was available when I was ordering and was a simpler all-in-one for bed mounting a RTT lower out of the wind, but high enough above the bed to access gear under the Retrax which is my primary intended purpose for it. If I hauled multiple kayaks (or anything longer than 81") frequently, the full OverHaul HD setup like @7.3Tremor has would be the preferred route IMO. The OverHaul can adjust down to decrease wind drag some but it can't get your RTT completely out of the wind unless you have a high-speed, low-drag (pun intended) flat hard shell RTT. Yakima has the one-key locking mechanisms available on just about all of their components, as well, which is a plus not available on my simpler Frontrunner rack.

Just sharing my findings to aid others who might be in the market for similar setups. Right now I have a Smittybilt Overlander XL Gen 2 w/annex and the Front Runner bed rack taking up half my garage waiting to be mounted on my Tremor as soon as I take delivery Friday ?

That's the OverHaul. It adjusts down to 18" I believe and there's the OutPost HD that's same design just fixed at 12". Both can be mounted atop Retrax Pro XR T-slots with the tonneau-1 adapter kit. I ended up going with the Front Runner Slimline II rack as it was more readily available as one complete unit than going the Yakima Outpost HD route which involved getting the uprights, the tonneau-1 kit, the HD crossbars, and the side bars to connect the uprights. The uprights and bars can be ordered as a unit but everything else is sold as separate components of varying availability. The Yakima components I just listed cost the same total as the one Front Runner unit. But with those Yakima posts you still just have the cross bars to mount upon. To get the nice big rack @7.3Tremor has mounted on top, you have to shell out even more $$. Plus, (correct me if I'm wrong, @7.3Tremor) the rolling payload of the Yakima setup is reduced from 500lbs to 300lbs if you mount atop Retrax tonneau vs. attaching to truck bed directly. The Front Runner rack for our trucks has 6 uprights and is rated for 600lbs. I'm not bagging on Yakima setup because I was going that route, but the Front Runner rack was available when I was ordering and was a simpler all-in-one for bed mounting a RTT lower out of the wind, but high enough above the bed to access gear under the Retrax which is my primary intended purpose for it. If I hauled multiple kayaks (or anything longer than 81") frequently, the full OverHaul HD setup like @7.3Tremor has would be the preferred route IMO. The OverHaul can adjust down to decrease wind drag some but it can't get your RTT completely out of the wind unless you have a high-speed, low-drag (pun intended) flat hard shell RTT. Yakima has the one-key locking mechanisms available on just about all of their components, as well, which is a plus not available on my simpler Frontrunner rack.

Just sharing my findings to aid others who might be in the market for similar setups. Right now I have a Smittybilt Overlander XL Gen 2 w/annex and the Front Runner bed rack taking up half my garage waiting to be mounted on my Tremor as soon as I take delivery Friday ?
42455B10-D4EB-42D9-810F-C2C9BB19B6F4.jpeg

Here is the Yakima setup. The top platform does cost more but makes the whole rack system very sting and rigid. I don’t have it on the retrax, just to the bed rail. Have off roaded quite a bit on some rough stuff and had zero issues. I have over 500lbs on my rack with zero issues.

View attachment 16813
Here is the Yakima setup. The top platform does cost more but makes the whole rack system very sting and rigid. I don’t have it on the retrax, just to the bed rail. Have off roaded quite a bit on some rough stuff and had zero issues. I have over 500lbs on my rack with zero issues.
Is that a batwing awning you have mounted on the passenger side? If so, do you like it? I'm planning to have my RTT fold out to the driver side with the floored annex and then get a passenger side mounted batwing to shelter the passenger side and rear, tailgate areas. Another area where your OverHaul setup shines - more headroom under awnings for 6ft+ folks

Is that a batwing awning you have mounted on the passenger side? If so, do you like it? I'm planning to have my RTT fold out to the driver side with the floored annex and then get a passenger side mounted batwing to shelter the passenger side and rear, tailgate areas. Another area where your OverHaul setup shines - more headroom under awnings for 6ft+ folks
The batwing is very weak, I’m waiting on a OVS 270 to replace it. Too much plastic in their system.

The way I see it, is that the OP of the thread died of hypothermia... 1st post and hasn't posted since October, so maybe camping is bad. I'm not gloating about how 'superior' hotels are vs. camping (what suits me apparently offends you), just posting an alternative point of view of how to travel. It's a truck forum and my truck will never be used for such a thing, so I'm just putting my idea out there, sorry if my words tweak your idealologies as to what the truck should be used for, we all have our own reasons for buying what we buy.
Sometimes bits & pieces of someone's ideas make people look at a larger picture. For instance, my wife wanted to sell our current home and live on our new property in an RV until our new home was built, still almost a year out. Sounded like maybe that was a great idea until I started looking at forums where people did that very thing. Reality quickly struck, from a general 'Tractor' forum, where a couple found themselves homeless for 3 months while a warranty issue with their trailer (making it not liveable) was taken care of and they had no place to store their belongings, etc... Dealer says bring it in we'll fix it... oh we don't have the parts you'll need to leave it here. Point is, no matter the actual subject - someone always offers some alternatives or other way to think things through. Because of that thread... both my wife and I want nothing to do with unplugging, getting rid of our stable home until we have another stable home to go to. Again, it was just a meager mention on a Tractor thread, so please don't discount anybody's rants or opinions just because you think they don't apply to you. It's a forum... and thanks for your input to my input!
What do you haul or how is your Tremor utilized on your travels?

In 1978 I was 18. Just graduated High School in Oroville California. I bought a 8' Alaskan Camper, put it on my 66 F250 Camper Special. A/C, 352, 4 spd, 4.10 posi. It had 950x16.5 Mud Grips in the rear. I had a little hardbody girlfriend that liked to camp and fish. Didn't have a clue how good life was going to be ..

LOL Moose is a LOT better eatin'! :)
Don't think I'd even try a Mt goat unless I was desperate.
I don't know if it tastes the same as mt. goat, but I've eaten lots of goat in Kenya. It's pretty good, but the way most Kenyans cook it, they cut the bones & meat together, leaving fairly small, sharp bones for a killer surprise while chewing. Other than that, it's pretty good. Tastes a lot like...NO, not chicken! It tastes a lot like beef.

A retired Army buddy of mine took eighteen months to adventure along the Pan American Highway that runs from Northern Alaska to Panama, South America. He never stayed in a hotel or a campground, it’s more about the adventure and meeting all kinds of people and other like minded people living off the grid. He’d stop at little villages volunteering in the community’s for a few days to a few weeks depending on their needs and the adventure and or waiting in parts for a vehicle repair. It was amazing to virtually follow along his “overlanding” adventure. From what I’ve learned from him, it’s about the long term, off grid, adventure and can be much more or much less depending on your schedule and how much risk you’re willing to take to get from here to there.View attachment 7736
It's a nice adventure

I love such an adventure. In 2009, I went from the Emirates to Europe, with a GMC 8.1 truck, and it took me 6 months to arrive.

I love my truck, but it’s just too physically large to go where I like to go. Thus, this rig pulls camping duty.

Three of the seven seats removed, sleeping platform, permanent fridge, triple locked.

Requisite poser shot with wheel in the air.

EE8EB8FB-FC92-4D1B-98B3-92CB8A80A9EA.jpeg

I love my truck, but it’s just too physically large to go where I like to go. Thus, this rig pulls camping duty.

Three of the seven seats removed, sleeping platform, permanent fridge, triple locked.

Requisite poser shot with wheel in the air.

View attachment 44194
me too

7.3 Truck I only use for the farm or for travel between countries

This is my car most of the time

Attachments

• 20170325_174707-01.jpeg
    20170325_174707-01.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 70
As an avid backpacker, IMO anything more than simple shelter, food, and water filtration carried on your back, is glamping.
Overlanding is just all-terrain car camping. There's nothing really minimalist about it.

Back