Mirror Repair.

Pompey

Tremor Addict
Joined
Aug 19, 2020
Messages
1,612
Reaction Points
4,637
Location
Granite Belt, Queensland
Current Ride #1
2018 Subaru Outback
Current Ride #2
1999 Subaru WRX Club Spec Evo 3
After a very minor knock, my drivers side mirror no longer opened up to the correct position. So every time I unlocked the truck, the mirror would open beyond the normal stop. I ordered the aftermarket motor and gear, and this morning we removed the mirror and began disassembling it.

It’s beyond my pay grade-and patience-so a mate of mine is doing this for me.

What a tedious job it is, and at times frustrating.

Well, we’ve progressed a fair bit yet there’s still a bit to go. Then there’s the re-assembly. Here’s some photos that may well convince you to not bother doing this yourself. Hint:it’s harder than it looks.


IMG_6363.webp
IMG_6364.webp
IMG_6361.webp
IMG_6365.webp
IMG_6366.webp
IMG_6362.webp
 
That’s crazy. A couple months ago someone came over into my lane and our mirrors collided with each of us going probably 45. It cracked the light and I had to replace it but the rest of the mirror took it quite well with no other issues other than minor cosmetic blemishes.
 
That’s crazy. A couple months ago someone came over into my lane and our mirrors collided with each of us going probably 45. It cracked the light and I had to replace it but the rest of the mirror took it quite well with no other issues other than minor cosmetic blemishes.
I was backing out of a shed with my foot on the brake, Thats how slow I was going. I was checking my other mirror as I was reversing out around obstacles, and it was dark. Not impressed.
 
I was backing out of a shed with my foot on the brake, Thats how slow I was going. I was checking my other mirror as I was reversing out around obstacles, and it was dark. Not impressed.
I assume you tried the re-alignment process before going to this extent, correct?

Here's a link to that info. There is a Ford link in this post.

 
After a very minor knock, my drivers side mirror no longer opened up to the correct position. So every time I unlocked the truck, the mirror would open beyond the normal stop. I ordered the aftermarket motor and gear, and this morning we removed the mirror and began disassembling it.

It’s beyond my pay grade-and patience-so a mate of mine is doing this for me.

What a tedious job it is, and at times frustrating.

Well, we’ve progressed a fair bit yet there’s still a bit to go. Then there’s the re-assembly. Here’s some photos that may well convince you to not bother doing this yourself. Hint:it’s harder than it looks.


View attachment 274636View attachment 274637View attachment 274638View attachment 274639View attachment 274640View attachment 274641
Even the dog is looking at you like WTF are you humans thinking?!? 😂
 
After a very minor knock, my drivers side mirror no longer opened up to the correct position. So every time I unlocked the truck, the mirror would open beyond the normal stop. I ordered the aftermarket motor and gear, and this morning we removed the mirror and began disassembling it.

It’s beyond my pay grade-and patience-so a mate of mine is doing this for me.

What a tedious job it is, and at times frustrating.

Well, we’ve progressed a fair bit yet there’s still a bit to go. Then there’s the re-assembly. Here’s some photos that may well convince you to not bother doing this yourself. Hint:it’s harder than it looks.


View attachment 274636View attachment 274637View attachment 274638View attachment 274639View attachment 274640View attachment 274641
Feet! There's feet! They're covered but I'll take it 🤪.
 
PTT Arod uploaded a video showing the rebuild process.
If you need any tips or tricks.
I believe he has posted two different videos about this.

If I remember correctly, he also mentions that it is a pain in the ass.

The gear replacement is the second video


 
I did the PTT w/ARod passenger mirror disassembly and replaced the gears. It did not solve the problem of my mirror not folding in. Every other function on the mirror works except that one. And I can vouch that disassembling the mirror is tedious but is doable, fwiw.
 
I did the PTT w/ARod passenger mirror disassembly and replaced the gears. It did not solve the problem of my mirror not folding in. Every other function on the mirror works except that one. And I can vouch that disassembling the mirror is tedious but is doable, fwiw.
I have this folding mirror issue periodically on my drivers side, mostly in the hot summer. I've long suspected that the real issue is not the gears, it is friction of the mirror slides, and the voltage drop associated with the extra strain on the mechanism at any given time.

Here's why I think this; if the sun is shining on the mirror and it is very hot outside, the mirror becomes sluggish and sometimes requires an "assist" (move by hand) to fully fold in or out. Most likely due to heat distortion in the plastic guides in the mirror itself. There is no way to get "oil" or any lubricant in there to alleviate this. Second, when the engine is started and running the alternator is in a state of charge (14.2V) and the mirror starts acting somewhat normal again. (More voltage to the motor) Extreme cold may also exacerbate the same issue.

The wires going to this little motor are about 22 gauge, a minimal gauge to run this tiny motor, and the contact is a friction contact on the brushes. (Not a good connection) And, if the motor is laboring, a voltage drop can develop across the wire and contacts, whereby the actual voltage at the motor is reduced. I don't think it's the motors and gears causing the problem, it's the cheap design of the drive circuit.

What's the fix? I think that the reason it starts to work after going through a gear change is simply that the contacts are "renewed" in the rebuild process and now has a little more voltage on the motor. It is still prone to failure down the line for the reasons listed above. The real fix would be to put a larger wire in the harness to alleviate the (suspected) voltage drop. There is little you can do about the contacts, by design, it is going to still be a friction connection, not a good, soldered connection. And excess lubricant could gum up the works and even make it worse.

Maybe someday I will take mine apart and modify this but for now, I just assist the mirror on hot days, it seems to work fine on cold days.
 
Back
Top Bottom