M4X's STX Build

Really good looking build, this was my plan until the Tremor came out and forced my hand lol

How much have you spent in comparison to buying a Tremor?
I've got probably about an additional 4k wrapped up in it on top of the 52k-ish base price. To make it an "actual" tremor would probably cost thousands more b/c of the leaf spring/shock setup/front-locker. But I always change the suspension on what I buy anyways so it did not really offer me much benefit (other than the front locker!)

Point being: If I had bought a tremor, I would have done the same suspension mods/tires/etc anyways.

I've got at least another 3 or 4k in mods planned. But they are mostly focused around disparities between the trim level and higher trims and not the tremor vs non tremor itself.

I've got probably about an additional 4k wrapped up in it on top of the 52k-ish base price. To make it an "actual" tremor would probably cost thousands more b/c of the leaf spring/shock setup/front-locker. But I always change the suspension on what I buy anyways so it did not really offer me much benefit (other than the front locker!)

Point being: If I had bought a tremor, I would have done the same suspension mods/tires/etc anyways.

I've got at least another 3 or 4k in mods planned. But they are mostly focused around disparities between the trim level and higher trims and not the tremor vs non tremor itself.
That’s awesome, and glad you know yourself well enough to make that choice. I love this truck, but would have been much easier on my budget to do it your way.

Please tell more about your Hail Protector!! I have been looking hard at one of these for a while now. I don't need it for at home as I have plenty of room, I'm looking more for when we are traveling in the summer. Honestly I'm hoping I purchase one and never have to use it!!! LOL

What size did you get ?
How fast can you put it up?
Is the quality there?
Overall thoughts?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the inside of the hail protector for those who are curious:
View attachment 21899

Please tell more about your Hail Protector!! I have been looking hard at one of these for a while now. I don't need it for at home as I have plenty of room, I'm looking more for when we are traveling in the summer. Honestly I'm hoping I purchase one and never have to use it!!! LOL

What size did you get ?
How fast can you put it up?
Is the quality there?
Overall thoughts?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

You have to get the largest size for these trucks (Assuming you have a SCREW w/ any bed size).

I have mixed feelings about it and here's why:

The Negatives:
  1. It's cumbersome. The storage bag it fits in is larger than me (I'm 6'2"/205lbs). So if you're going to keep it in the truck with you it's going to go in the bed most likely. If you've got a bed cap or cover it shouldn't be a problem.
  2. Deploying it takes two people, especially if there is any gusty wind. It's essentially a parachute when not inflated.
  3. When it rains you're going to want to wait for it to dry before you remove it. Luckily you can just run the cover for about half an hour after the rain ceases to dry it out because there is a constant airflow through the fabric when it's running. But if you're looking at potential hail then days of rain --- you're going to be w/o a truck while you wait unless you have somewhere to stretch the cover out to dry afterwards.
  4. If it's gusty outside and you put it on, it's going to want to blow off until it's fully inflated so you're going to have to babysit it.
The Positives:

1. IT WORKS. Once it's inflated this thing is absolutely incredible. My neighbors and I have taken turns throwing golf balls, baseballs (full strength), and even taken a bat to it haha. It creates such a dense bubble of air around the truck there's no way anything can reach it. Also once inflated, it barely even budges in the wind.
  2. Setup takes a bit of effort but only takes about 5-10 minutes once you get the hang of it.

After using it a handful of times and having to deal w/o a truck for several days while I waited on the rain to stop afterwards I just called my insurance company and decreased my comprehensive deductible to $0 lol. For me it became more of a burden and actually made me stress over hail/weather more than I usually do. So I decided to put off the burden until actual damage is done to the vehicle (if that makes any sense.) Less stress.

You have to get the largest size for these trucks (Assuming you have a SCREW w/ any bed size).

I have mixed feelings about it and here's why:

The Negatives:
  1. It's cumbersome. The storage bag it fits in is larger than me (I'm 6'2"/205lbs). So if you're going to keep it in the truck with you it's going to go in the bed most likely. If you've got a bed cap or cover it shouldn't be a problem.
  2. Deploying it takes two people, especially if there is any gusty wind. It's essentially a parachute when not inflated.
  3. When it rains you're going to want to wait for it to dry before you remove it. Luckily you can just run the cover for about half an hour after the rain ceases to dry it out because there is a constant airflow through the fabric when it's running. But if you're looking at potential hail then days of rain --- you're going to be w/o a truck while you wait unless you have somewhere to stretch the cover out to dry afterwards.
  4. If it's gusty outside and you put it on, it's going to want to blow off until it's fully inflated so you're going to have to babysit it.
The Positives:

1. IT WORKS. Once it's inflated this thing is absolutely incredible. My neighbors and I have taken turns throwing golf balls, baseballs (full strength), and even taken a bat to it haha. It creates such a dense bubble of air around the truck there's no way anything can reach it. Also once inflated, it barely even budges in the wind.
  2. Setup takes a bit of effort but only takes about 5-10 minutes once you get the hang of it.

After using it a handful of times and having to deal w/o a truck for several days while I waited on the rain to stop afterwards I just called my insurance company and decreased my comprehensive deductible to $0 lol. For me it became more of a burden and actually made me stress over hail/weather more than I usually do. So I decided to put off the burden until actual damage is done to the vehicle (if that makes any sense.) Less stress.
First off "thanks" for the input!!

I did end up ordering one but it really is just for traveling in the summer. Every year we end up in the Black Hills of South Dakota for an extended SxS trip and every other year it seems like we deal with bad weather and hail! In our group we have had two trailers and a few vehicles end up with hail damage. I just hate the idea of not having any options other then watch a vehicle get pounded and then have to deal with making a claim, dealing with the repair and hoping it turns out good and then potentially go through it again a year later.

I guess my plan is once we arrive to our destination, throw it on and "if" there is bad weather coming, hit the inflate and don't worry about. On the last day, pack it up and head out. Honestly......I'm hoping I never have to use it!! Kinda like life insurance, you buy it but, hope you never have to use it! LOL

First off "thanks" for the input!!

I did end up ordering one but it really is just for traveling in the summer. Every year we end up in the Black Hills of South Dakota for an extended SxS trip and every other year it seems like we deal with bad weather and hail! In our group we have had two trailers and a few vehicles end up with hail damage. I just hate the idea of not having any options other then watch a vehicle get pounded and then have to deal with making a claim, dealing with the repair and hoping it turns out good and then potentially go through it again a year later.

I guess my plan is once we arrive to our destination, throw it on and "if" there is bad weather coming, hit the inflate and don't worry about. On the last day, pack it up and head out. Honestly......I'm hoping I never have to use it!! Kinda like life insurance, you buy it but, hope you never have to use it! LOL

I think that's a perfectly valid use for it. I tried to treat it as a replacement for not having a large enough garage and that's just not really what it's meant to be. It's meant to be a "just in case" last ditch save your vehicle tool when that perfect storm is on the horizon.

Forscan license and software obtained, the "EX" USB adapter comes in tomorrow, can't wait to rip into it.

Got some good news and bad news though:

The bad news is my passenger side turn signal mirror has a faulty water seal, going to have to replace it.

IMG_0060.jpg

The good news is she still somehow fits in my garage with the 2.5" lift and 35s for wax work and interior detailing (and emergency hail protection I guess). Notice the strap holding the door up. Had to temporarily relocate the J bracket for clearance. ?

IMG_0063.jpg
IMG_0062.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 11
AmericanTrucks is going to be sending me a replacement set of mirrors. Hopefully won't have any leaks w/ them but if I do I may consider sealing/repairing them myself or just getting some better lights for their mirrors.

Anyways I got forscan today and enabled a few things. Firstly the turn signals in the mirrors needed to be activated in the DDM/PDM modules so now my turn signals are working:

Next I enabled a DEF Filter % status so I can (hopefully) predict regen cycles now.
20210510_144400.jpg

And lastly I enabled Global Window Close which for whatever reason this truck did not have enabled. It only had global open (something they left out for the XL Trim maybe?) IT works just fine. Had to enable it in the BdyCM, DDM, and PDM.

20210510_144415.jpg

Now I just want to figure out how to disable the honk on lock (Second remote press) and the double lock when exiting vehicle while running. Can't figure out exactly which combination of easy values to change for that.

What's that?

Using your keyfob remote -- If you press unlock and then hold unlock for a few seconds your windows will open (That's global open).
Global close is just the reverse. Press lock and then hold lock for a few seconds and windows will close.

Using your keyfob remote -- If you press unlock and then hold unlock for a few seconds your windows will open (That's global open).
Global close is just the reverse. Press lock and then hold lock for a few seconds and windows will close.
Oh cool! I had heard in reviews that wasn't possible (global close), even on higher trims and it was a complaint that only global open was a thing. Great to hear they both are!

52k is a great buy to start with on that truck. Originally I was looking for 1 similar to yours and another salesman had sold it to someone else why I was negotiating my trade. My Tremor was 70 and I got for 65 plus taxes and fees. Your purchase was wise for 13k less than I paid. Great job on the build.

And lastly I enabled Global Window Close
Just come across your thread. Did you have any trouble with the Global Close? My Global Open works on both sides but my Global Close only closes on my driver side. I double checked everything in FORScan but it all seems to match the spread sheet I found for the 2020-2021's

Folks! Today I stepped up to a true Tremor!

2022 Platinum
20230103_095917.jpg

20230103_100023.jpg

20230103_100048.jpg

I've been away for a while -- but during that time I also picked up a few gas savers:

IMG_4097.JPG

IMG_3979.JPG

IMG_3889.JPG

20230102_181801.jpg

2022 was a crazy year!

Please tell me you are single. If not does your wife have any sisters that would allow me to buy all those toys too?

All kind aside the STX was looking great but your white '22 looks even better. Congrats.

Reactions: M4X
Please tell me you are single. If not does your wife have any sisters that would allow me to buy all those toys too?

All kind aside the STX was looking great but your white '22 looks even better. Congrats.

Happily married! Just celebrated six years.

We're childless, both hard working, and keep our finances separate so that helps a lot!

Back