Looking for help with puddle lamps to my XLT

Nick22

Tremor Newbie
Joined
Oct 1, 2026
Messages
4
Reaction Points
10
Location
Memphis, TN
Current Ride #1
2026 F250 XLT Tremor 7.3L
Hey guys, looking for some guidance from a wrenching newbie. 2026 F250 7.3L XLT. The most basic of basic XLTs (besides the full console, that was a must). I don’t need all of the quality of life things of higher models, but there are a few I want.

I’ve got keyless entry and clearance lights taken care of (solar powered). But the the thing I don’t know where to start on is some sort of puddle lights. Basically I just want something to illuminate the ground outside when I unlock the truck and have a door open (the same as interior lights).

I come to you guys to give me ideas. I’m down for mounting on mirror, running boards, etc. I’ve searched the forum for some ideas but I’m still lost. I’m a newbie when it comes to doing any kind of electrical, so the easier the install the better. (Wires freak me out even more since my stock electrical 2016 F250 had an electrical fire earlier this year)

Appreciate the help and looking to get to know you guys. Lots of great rigs on here for inspiration
 
The safest and most straightforward way to get ground illumination is installing LED strip lights right above or below your running boards. They light up the exact area where you step, look awesome, and are much easier to wire. Plus, these are not expensive.

Check out the @F150LEDs Super Duty Running Board Light Kit—they make kits specifically designed for the 2023+ generation:


I've had them on my 2015 F150 and now have them on my Double Deuce.

20250421_222047.webp


How to Wire it Safely (No Cutting or Splicing!)

To make them function as puddle lights (coming on when you unlock the truck or open the doors), you just need to tap into the interior dome light circuit. Here is the foolproof, fire-safe way to do it:

Routing: You can run the wires from the running boards up into the cab through a rubber floor grommet located under the plastic sill plates—zero drilling required.

The Magic Wire: Pull up the plastic door sill/kick panel on the rear driver or passenger side. In that wire bundle, you are looking for the Grey wire with a Violet (purple) stripe. That is your dome/courtesy light power wire. Your ground wire is the Black with Violet stripe (or you can simply ground it to any bare metal bolt on the body).

The Connector: Since wires freak you out, absolutely do not cut or strip the factory wires. Buy a pack of Posi-Tap connectors off Amazon. You simply unscrew the Posi-Tap cap, lay the factory Grey/Violet wire in the slot, and screw the main body back on. A needle safely pierces the jacket to get power without severing the wire. If you ever want to remove it, you just unscrew it and the factory wire is perfectly intact. Zero exposed wire, zero fire risk.

Take your time, use zip-ties to keep things neat along the frame, and you'll do great.

Here's an install video:


If that doesn't tickle your fancy, some members use the kit from OPT7:


If you want to take things to another level, check out the lighted running boards from Boost Auto. They make them in a powered version (M2) and non-powered version (M1). I have the M1 boards:


1000019553.webp


And if you want to really go nuts, add the brightest rock lights on the market from Infinite Off-road. Straight outta your home state of Tennessee!:


I have 11 of them and I actually get flashed by ladies leaving the Strip! 🤪

20260503_201558.webp


Good luck and keep us posted, my friend!
 
Last edited:
@Optimus🤖 thanks for the advice! That looks promising. I would probably try and mount on the underside of the board if I can so the steps don’t cast a shadow.

And thank you so much for explaining the “safe” way to do it. I didn’t think my old stock one catching fire affected me that much, but now that I’m looking at doing electrical I’m almost scared of anything that isn’t plug and play. Those posi-taps are a great compromise!
 
The safest and most straightforward way to get ground illumination is installing LED strip lights right above or below your running boards. They light up the exact area where you step, look awesome, and are much easier to wire. Plus, these are not expensive.

Check out the @F150LEDs Super Duty Running Board Light Kit—they make kits specifically designed for the 2023+ generation:


I've had them on my 2015 F150 and now have them on my Double Deuce.

View attachment 274565

How to Wire it Safely (No Cutting or Splicing!)

To make them function as puddle lights (coming on when you unlock the truck or open the doors), you just need to tap into the interior dome light circuit. Here is the foolproof, fire-safe way to do it:

Routing: You can run the wires from the running boards up into the cab through a rubber floor grommet located under the plastic sill plates—zero drilling required.

The Magic Wire: Pull up the plastic door sill/kick panel on the rear driver or passenger side. In that wire bundle, you are looking for the Grey wire with a Violet (purple) stripe. That is your dome/courtesy light power wire. Your ground wire is the Black with Violet stripe (or you can simply ground it to any bare metal bolt on the body).

The Connector: Since wires freak you out, absolutely do not cut or strip the factory wires. Buy a pack of Posi-Tap connectors off Amazon. You simply unscrew the Posi-Tap cap, lay the factory Grey/Violet wire in the slot, and screw the main body back on. A needle safely pierces the jacket to get power without severing the wire. If you ever want to remove it, you just unscrew it and the factory wire is perfectly intact. Zero exposed wire, zero fire risk.

Take your time, use zip-ties to keep things neat along the frame, and you'll do great.

Here's an install video:


If that doesn't tickle your fancy, some members use the kit from OPT7:


If you want to take things to another level, check out the lighted running boards from Boost Auto. They make them in a powered version (M2) and non-powered version (M1). I have the M1 boards:


View attachment 274566

And if you want to really go nuts, add the brightest rock lights on the market from Infinite Off-road. Straight outta your home state of Tennessee!:


I have 11 of them and I actually get flashed by ladies leaving the Strip! 🤪

View attachment 274569

Good luck and keep us posted, my friend!
Beautiful write up.
 
Back
Top Bottom