Installed Retrax Pro XR with Rhino Rack and 5 mountain bikes

The Retrax Pro XR arrived today, took nearly two months. I’ll be pressed for time, but will try to get it installed sometime over the next few days! Already have the crossbars, so will install those too. Standby!
I got mine today as well. I put it on as soon as I got home. FYI it can be installed with one person. Easier with 2 no doubt, but I man handled it up on the truck.

Does anybody know what the torque specs are for the brackets? I don’t know if I’m blind and just not seeing it.
The Bak Revolver I installed yesterday called for 10lb-ft to not deform the bed rails, for what it’s worth. The brackets on the Retrax are a lot beefier by comparison.

Has anyone else seen lift in the Retrax rail near the tailgate during install? My driver's side rail seems to be sitting up a little higher off of the bed than the passenger side, which is laying completely flat on the bed.

Has anyone else seen lift in the Retrax rail near the tailgate during install? My driver's side rail seems to be sitting up a little higher off of the bed than the passenger side, which is laying completely flat on the bed.
Try loosening the clamp and giving the rail a good smack to make sure it’s seated all the way down and the clamp is positioned as high up as it can go. I didn’t see any difference in fit from one side to the other when installed on my truck, or when I moved it to the guys truck who bought it off me.

Mine did the same. I held it down while tightening the clamp.

Got the Retrax and rhino rack crossbars installed (about a month ago). Pretty easy install. Now I have the skybox 16 for the ladies’ Vera Bradley luggage lol. Skinny warrior basket from Yakima will go beside it in a few days. That gives me plenty of road trip storage and still the ability to use the bed as l like, although I do love some of y’all’s camper shell/canopy set ups. I’ve had two trucks in the past with shells, and depending on how you use your truck, they can be awesome. For me, for now, this suits me best! ?

Attachments

• 1DF6F7EB-182B-4F00-9751-5221515633DD.jpeg
    1DF6F7EB-182B-4F00-9751-5221515633DD.jpeg
    403.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 7140F2A2-E8FC-43B4-A499-58A58945D527.jpeg
    7140F2A2-E8FC-43B4-A499-58A58945D527.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 86
Got the Retrax and rhino rack crossbars installed (about a month ago). Pretty easy install. Now I have the skybox 16 for the ladies’ Vera Bradley luggage lol. Skinny warrior basket from Yakima will go beside it in a few days. That gives me plenty of road trip storage and still the ability to use the bed as l like, although I do love some of y’all’s camper shell/canopy set ups. I’ve had two trucks in the past with shells, and depending on how you use your truck, they can be awesome. For me, for now, this suits me best! ?
Looks good. I‘m waiting to see if the crossbars go on sale soon for Memorial Day or 4th of July.

I really like your set up! The versatility is great. I hope to add a basket and hardshell case to expand my options.

After nearly 2 months my Retrax Pro XR arrived along with the Rhino Rack. Install could not have been simpler for either product and the quality is top notch. I have always been a yakima guy but I decided to give Rhino Rack a try, for $200 less and more cargo carrying capacity it made sense. I could not be more happy with the quality. I hope to get an installation video up on youtube soon but for now I thought I would share some pictures.

BTW, I purchased from Tonneau Factory Outlet and saved quite a bit of money, I definitely recommend checking them out.
Beautiful rig, awesome bike rack and bed cover! This will be my bike set up for sure for my 2022MY tremor (patiently waiting). My family and I loves to ride bike and kayaking.

Beautiful rig, awesome bike rack and bed cover! This will be my bike set up for sure for my 2022MY tremor (patiently waiting). My family and I loves to ride bike and kayaking.
Thank you! Good luck with the truck order and delivery. We are going through the pain of waiting for the Bronco. It seems like the waiting for a new vehicle takes forever but I am sure the moment it arrives it will feel like time flew and we will both forget about the wait. Or so I hope!

3.5 month update

We drove from Tampa to Southern Utah with all 5 bikes on the rack. They did perfect through all sorts of weather including hail and high winds.

We actually dropped the camper in a staging area in the Glen Canyon Recreation Area for some mild off-roading while in route from Page Arizona to Kenab Utah. I was thinking the dirt road would be fine for the bikes so I did not unload them. In the end it was fine but they would sway quite a bit.

All in all the rhino rack and Retrax cover were perfect. Even through all of the storms we drove through it remained water tight. The Swagman bike racks needed the nuts tightened a little after the off-roading but nothing to be concerned about, they were probably tighten to be snug originally which created the play/sway during truck articulation.

I have zero regrets with this set up this far.

Attachments

• Photo_6553613_DJI_13_jpg_6883540_0_2021412105056_photo_original__01.jpg
    Photo_6553613_DJI_13_jpg_6883540_0_2021412105056_photo_original__01.jpg
    631 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20210412_111955__01.jpg
    IMG_20210412_111955__01.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 54
Finished it off today (over-bed capacity) with the skinny warrior from Yakima. ?

Attachments

• C3379BD7-2F31-4A5B-B9BB-40D6951E9E2A.jpeg
    C3379BD7-2F31-4A5B-B9BB-40D6951E9E2A.jpeg
    496.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 2E10F00B-5E0B-41F6-97F5-B62DA2C14D2C.jpeg
    2E10F00B-5E0B-41F6-97F5-B62DA2C14D2C.jpeg
    444.9 KB · Views: 93
  • F216EBA5-F720-413E-B31C-0BB9078BA8CE.jpeg
    F216EBA5-F720-413E-B31C-0BB9078BA8CE.jpeg
    468.7 KB · Views: 90
For those of you that installed the retrax yourself - how much weather stripping did you trim off the front cover? Or how snug did you put it against the bed rails? I've ended up with a bit of a gap, but not sure how big of a deal it is.

For those of you that installed the retrax yourself - how much weather stripping did you trim off the front cover? Or how snug did you put it against the bed rails? I've ended up with a bit of a gap, but not sure how big of a deal it is.
Hmmm, no trimming or gaps here. We have been through some very heavy rains and the bed has remained 98% dry with the exceptions of the front corners where there is a gap in the bed floor. I assume I could caulk that to prevent water from entering there.

Didn’t trim mine either and it stayed relatively water tight. The only issue was wind driven rain (or a pressure washer) hitting the tailgate and water seeping in there. But I did nothing to sure that up so I would expect that.

Back