I Spy... with my little eye | 2023 SD Thread

VB!

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 7.3
I know this is a bit abstract but can you speak to the general feeling of the size of the front end? Do you feel like the truck *feels* bigger than the 22 MY due to the illusion of the "bigger" front end? I mean, Super Duty's are massive in it of themselves however when you're around them all the time it's easy to get used to the size so to speak but just curious if you felt this way first blush in person. Only reason I ask is because when I've seen pictures with MY23 and MY22s next to each other the MY23 just looks so much more stout, despite its downsides.
I would bet dimensionally, the front end is the same size as the current one. It "feels" smaller. The visual height of the current lights and the hard horizontal edge of the hood over the grille make it "feel" bigger than the new. This grille has hard continuous horizontal lines that make it appear shorter.

The size of the rest of the truck is a visual size wash compared to the current non Tremor Super Duty. The 23' fender lips need trim.

OP
OP
rawltide

rawltide

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2015 F-150 XLT 302A
First Responder
EMT
I would bet dimensionally, the front end is the same size as the current one. It "feels" smaller. The visual height of the current lights and the hard horizontal edge of the hood over the grille make it "feel" bigger than the new. This grille has hard continuous horizontal lines that make it appear shorter.

The size of the rest of the truck is a visual size wash compared to the current non Tremor Super Duty. The 23' fender lips need trim.

Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving!

RowdyYates

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
In what way? Explain like I'm 5.

Edit: besides being a new location to wipe away dust and dirt.
Same as a cowl hood on a race car...fast moving air creates a vacuum and sucks air out of the engine bay which forces more air into the engine bay thru the front...I think it works on the Venturi principle...how effective or useful this is who knows

OP
OP
rawltide

rawltide

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2015 F-150 XLT 302A
First Responder
EMT
Same as a cowl hood on a race car...fast moving air creates a vacuum and sucks air out of the engine bay which forces more air into the engine bay thru the front...I think it works on the Venturi principle...how effective or useful this is who knows

Interesting. Wonder why it took them this long to come up with a solution to a problem that I didn't know existed

ccw

Carpet Delete Missionary
Staff member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F-350 Tremor 7.3L
Current Ride #2
1980 Mazda RX-7
Interesting. Wonder why it took them this long to come up with a solution to a problem that I didn't know existed
The side vents have been functional for a number of years as far as I know. So not a new thing with '23. They've just made the vents a lot taller in the new model year.

Alpoba

Founding Member
Reaction Points
The side vents have been functional for a number of years as far as I know. So not a new thing with '23. They've just made the vents a lot taller in the new model year.
How are they functional? Did you ever take off the badges to see what’s behind there? I did, had to drill a hole to run the badge lights to the engine bay. There is nothing behind there, the area sealed, no air is coming through.

Agree with others that it’s mostly for show on the 23s. But maybe Ford did drill some holes for the air to actually move through the vents.

ccw

Carpet Delete Missionary
Staff member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F-350 Tremor 7.3L
Current Ride #2
1980 Mazda RX-7
How are they functional? Did you ever take off the badges to see what’s behind there? I did, had to drill a hole to run the badge lights to the engine bay. There is nothing behind there, the area sealed, no air is coming through.

Agree with others that it’s mostly for show on the 23s. But maybe Ford did drill some holes for the air to actually move through the vents.
I could have sworn I've seen pictures behind them and others stating they were functional previously, but if you've had them off and there was just sheet metal then I'm wrong! Funky.

Alpoba

Founding Member
Reaction Points
I could have sworn I've seen pictures behind them and others stating they were functional previously, but if you've had them off and there was just sheet metal then I'm wrong! Funky.
True, i cant speak for all SDs, only for my 22 where i took the badge off and was surprised by what i saw😀

Reactions: ccw

RowdyYates

Tremor Member
Reaction Points

It sure is, lots of info on the internet about it, this was interesting
Many possible benefits to the fender vents...maybe the fancy wheel well inserts trap a lot of heat or cause weird airflow characteristics

On jeeps they were added to eliminate “hood flutter”

Last edited:
Reactions: ccw

Skibum1681

Tremor Junkie
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F350 6.7 Tremor / 2022 F350 6.7 BAP
Current Ride #2
2011 Harley Road Glide
They vent hot air from the engine compartment (which is the location where he engine is stored). Hot air is a by product of horsepower which causes damage to engines.

Hey, you asked for a 5yr old explanation.

DTX2023Tremor

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2023 F350 Platinum Tremor 6.7L (ordered)
Current Ride #2
2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition 30
Bronco nailed the main problem I have with the side steps: they're too dang high. What is the benefit of this over the Amp Research fold-down ones (or similar style)? The fold-down ones tuck away nicely and drop lower (running board height).

And they will absolutely collect snow in the winter making them dangerous to use unless you clean them off before-hand, whereas the Amp Research ones will collect far less snow since they're tucked up and are easier to push the snow off since they're open-backed.

Maybe someone will come up with a storage box that can replace the factory side step, then the Amp Research side step can be added below that. That would be a winning combo! :D
I suppose the side step is too high for some, but for the folks who buy this truck that are 6'5"+ it will be perfect. 😝

RowdyYates

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
So...this ford guy says from 2022 and onward the tremors have a locking front differential, then when asked about it he says it’s a torsen differential....was he just getting confused with the f-150 tremor? 18:55

Modman

Moderator 🛠️
Staff member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
22MY F250 Star White Lariat Tremor
Current Ride #2
22MY Winnebago Voyage 2831RB
So...this ford guy says from 2022 and onward the tremors have a locking front differential, then when asked about it he says it’s a torsen differential....was he just getting confused with the f-150 tremor? 18:55
That would be news to me... My guess is that he meant to say 23 not 22.

Modman

Moderator 🛠️
Staff member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
22MY F250 Star White Lariat Tremor
Current Ride #2
22MY Winnebago Voyage 2831RB

RowdyYates

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
This recent article states Dana limited slip for 23 which is the reality we have all accepted for 20-22:

"As a reminder, the 2023 Ford Super Duty Tremor Off-Road Package includes a front-end lift and a specially tuned suspension paired with a Dana front axle with a limited slip differential."
Ah, interesting thanks, was wondering if ford changed/upgraded the front since the clutch pack based lsd seemed like a half measure to some people.