Fuel filters

I'm not suggesting this, but the manual says 30k on the fuel filters for normal use. I think it's 15k for severe duty, which is not hard to fall into.
Just want to emphasize this statement. People don’t realize how easy it is to fall into severe duty. Safest bet: service according to severe duty requirements. Cheap insurance.

One of the easiest ways to fall into severe duty is extensive idling.

What involves extensive idling? Rush hour traffic in a metro area. Most people don’t look at that and think “severe duty”, but you need to account for the extra hours the engine is seeing without corresponding miles.

I do my fuel filters at 15K mostly. I have done it at 10 as well just because I was doing other things. They are easy to do yourself and way cheaper than having a dealer do it. I buy filters from Docs I also use this https://www.fleeceperformance.com/f...werstroke-engine-mounted-filter-assembly.html

It solves the issue of the engine bay fuel filter cracking. I also buy the high-flow air filter, use Shell T6 Rotella oil .
Immediately get rid of those Donaldson P555095 filters. They are only 9 micron filters and the oem are 4 micron. I’ll see if I can’t find a compatible filter that’ll fit that base but I would change them immediately and wouldn’t recommend Fleece and get the HSM kit instead.

Baldwin BF7883 may fit and is 4 micron absolute like the oem filter. It is a little longer and wider than the Donaldson but should still fit in the filter cup.

I’ll keep looking but that m16x1.5 of the Fleece filter base doesn’t have lots of options.

ETA: I can’t find a Donaldson filter that has m16x1.5 threads that’s good enough. The Baldwin BF7883 is your best bet with that filter base.

Last edited:
I do my fuel filters at 15K mostly. I have done it at 10 as well just because I was doing other things. They are easy to do yourself and way cheaper than having a dealer do it. I buy filters from Docs I also use this https://www.fleeceperformance.com/f...werstroke-engine-mounted-filter-assembly.html

It solves the issue of the engine bay fuel filter cracking. I also buy the high-flow air filter, use Shell T6 Rotella oil .
How do you like that filter cap? Seems like it would be a little easier to replace the engine filter considering you don’t have to worry about breaking little plastic pieces.

I was going to get one but my truck is new and I figure I will wait until the warranty is up just in case

Im under warranty still with ESP and decided not to worry about it. Its actually great and so much easier to replace the fuel filter. You can find it for less than $200 a few places at times. Maybe we need a group buy ha

Now you have me wondering. How often should you change the fuel filter on a 7.3 gasser?

Advance Auto Parts has the best pricing on fuel filters. And there's usually a 20% discount code and free shipping. Sometimes they even have free same-day local delivery.

Amazon has too many fake Motorcraft knock-offs. Highly recommend not buying anything "Motorcraft" on Amazon.

Immediately get rid of those Donaldson P555095 filters. They are only 9 micron filters and the oem are 4 micron. I’ll see if I can’t find a compatible filter that’ll fit that base but I would change them immediately and wouldn’t recommend Fleece and get the HSM kit instead.
From what I can tell the filter that HSM uses in its kit is 15 Microns

HSM Notice: Due to national filter shortages, kits may include filter equivalents of a different brand or appearance. "HSM" labeled filters are a Baldwin BF7967 filters with our logo on them. These substitutes maintain the same filtration and quality standards that we have always met.

BF7967 Specs
Thread Size:
3/4 in-16
Height: 100.80 mm
Notes: Hino Trucks
Filter Style: Spin-On
Micron Rating (absolute): 15
Outer Diameter (OD): 78.60 mm

Last edited:
Now you have me wondering. How often should you change the fuel filter on a 7.3 gasser?
As far as I’m aware, like all remotely modern gas vehicles, the answer is “when the fuel pump fails”.

The filter is a part of the fuel pump assembly and lives inside the gas tank. Significant PITA to replace (drop the tank), not intended to be regularly serviced, and doesn’t need to be regularly serviced based on everything I’ve seen, read, and experienced.

From what I can tell the filter that HSM uses in its kit is 15 Microns

HSM Notice: Due to national filter shortages, kits may include filter equivalents of a different brand or appearance. "HSM" labeled filters are a Baldwin BF7967 filters with our logo on them. These substitutes maintain the same filtration and quality standards that we have always met.

BF7967 Specs
Thread Size:
3/4 in-16
Height: 100.80 mm
Notes: Hino Trucks
Filter Style: Spin-On
Micron Rating (absolute): 15
Outer Diameter (OD): 78.60 mm

Yeah their older kit that keeps the filter under the hood the supplied filter is crap and I have in the past recommended replacing with Baldwin BF46228. I have used their setup with this filter as many other on here have, I know @BroncoHooves is one of them.

Their new setup that moves it under the vehicle comes with Baldwin BF7883 and that is a good 4 micron absolute filter.

As I have posted before their (HSM) lower kit should have its filter replaced with something better too and I have used and recommended a Donaldson P553203. It’s a 4 micron absolute filter although previous catalogs said 3 and it beats the oem 10 micron either way.

Yeah their older kit that keeps the filter under the hood the supplied filter is crap and I have in the past recommended replacing with Baldwin BF46228. I have used their setup with this filter as many other on here have, I know @BroncoHooves is one of them.

Their new setup that moves it under the vehicle comes with Baldwin BF7883 and that is a good 4 micron absolute filter.

As I have posted before their (HSM) lower kit should have its filter replaced with something better too and I have used and recommended a Donaldson P553203. It’s a 4 micron absolute filter although previous catalogs said 3 and it beats the oem 10 micron either way.
Glad you recommended that one for sure. I recently moved the upper filter to under the truck beside the transmission with that BF7883 HSM kit. Works fine with the Talon garage skid plate as well. Eventually I will have 0 filters under the hood when I do a DCR upgrade in future (eliminate DPK filter).

Glad you recommended that one for sure. I recently moved the upper filter to under the truck beside the transmission with that BF7883 HSM kit. Works fine with the Talon garage skid plate as well. Eventually I will have 0 filters under the hood when I do a DCR upgrade in future (eliminate DPK filter).
Yeah I wish they came out with that kit first. They may have chosen a better filter since emailed them about the bad filter with the old kit and gave recommendations but they didn’t change the old filter unfortunately.

I emailed fleece and we will see if they respond or do anything. Sinister diesel has essentially the same kit also with a bad filter but I didn’t email them because I helped them in the past and they couldn’t even say Thank You and give me or sell me just the part I needed.

@Himni - I'm with you on Sinister. I bought their fuel and DEF cap. When I use the DEF cap it seems to seal off my DEF system and the gauge does not work and when you open it you hear a pressure release. I contacted them about this and they asked it if it "clicked" when it was completly tight and I told them no it did not. They told me it should but was not their problem and did not offer a solution nor a return. A $50 worthless DEF cap that can only be used as a paperweight.

Forgive me for getting off topic, I tend to get would up when Sinister is mentioned.

@Himni - I'm with you on Sinister. I bought their fuel and DEF cap. When I use the DEF cap it seems to seal off my DEF system and the gauge does not work and when you open it you hear a pressure release. I contacted them about this and they asked it if it "clicked" when it was completly tight and I told them no it did not. They told me it should but was not their problem and did not offer a solution nor a return. A $50 worthless DEF cap that can only be used as a paperweight.

Forgive me for getting off topic, I tend to get would up when Sinister is mentioned.
Did you order a set of my locking caps by any chance?

As far as I’m aware, like all remotely modern gas vehicles, the answer is “when the fuel pump fails”.

The filter is a part of the fuel pump assembly and lives inside the gas tank. Significant PITA to replace (drop the tank), not intended to be regularly serviced, and doesn’t need to be regularly serviced based on everything I’ve seen, read, and experienced.
Agree, exactly what I have read on modern gas engine vehicles. Older vehicles had fuel pumps in the tank and a fuel filter in the engine bay. In addition, I have read to keep fuel tanks at a one quarter or more fuel level to increase the life of the fuel pump.

Reactions: ccw
Precisely. You do not want to run your tank dry with a fuel filter imbedded inside. My 1999 TJ’s fuel filter was on the top of the tank. A royal PIA to change that out. Might as well have been inside the tank!

Sorry, I meant fuel pump and filter.

Back