Confused

Not a big fan of independent front suspension on three-quarter and 1 ton trucks I think Ford has the most for your money right know

First off, the Ford rides like hell. With solid axles, and HD springs, it's the worst of the bunch. Empty. Also, the Tremor pkg does not include a rear Sway Bar. Sway Bars inhibit Articulation. The Tremor pkg is about off-road performance. You'll want to add a Rear Sway bar, Helwig #7320, especially when your plans include Towing. Ford trucks are very "Truck Like" even in Platinums and King Ranches, you'll never mistake their interiors for anything but a truck. I knew going in I didn't like a few things about the Tremor Pkg, but they were things I could easily change. For one, the Tires it comes with allow the Truck to wander .. it will not, and did not hold a straight line on the freeway. I exchanged them, now it drives more like my previous Ford Trucks. With the exception of a couple Dodges, back when Ford was using the 6.0 Diesel, I've owned Fords. My Family owns 9 New Car Dealerships. They sell Rams and Chevrolets every day. I can have one for whatever they pay. But, for some reason .. ;) .. when it comes to trucks, everyone in our family drive Fords ..

I've been a Chevy truck guy forever and have had zero problems except needing to replace the DEF tank on my current truck a 2013 Duramax DRW. I have a Platinum 350 on order...it'll be a long wait it seems.

I felt I didn't need the dually anymore so wanted to drop down to SRW. Hate to admit it but the main reason not going with Chevy this time is adaptive cruise control isn't offered yet in their HD trucks. It's on the Ford. Our car has it and once you use it you never want to go back.

"Ford trucks are very "Truck Like" even in Platinums and King Ranches, you'll never mistake their interiors for anything but a truck."

I beg to differ. I have a top of the line Volvo. Some reviewers say that Volvo seats are just short of a Bentley's. They are amazing. My week old Platinum's isn't quite there but its seats are mighty comfy and the leather is quite nice. The massage feature isn't close to Volvo's but it isn't anything to sneeze at either. Pretty darn swank for a truck IMHO.

Good evening everyone. I’m at adds as to what to do.
My wife and I love in the northeast and we tow at least several times 4 months a year. We currently tow conventionally with a travel trailer. We have 2018 GMC Sierra 1500. Limited to 9100# We want to upgrade to either a more solid durable travel trailer or a 5th wheel. So we want a 2500 something.

she loves GMC. Its been reliable for us for 10 years. I’m bored with GMC. It’s not fun. It doesn’t excite me. The Tremor however looks amazing and badass. However. The amount of issues I read on these and other forums is concerning. Death Wobble, radio issues, shoddy workmanship and builds, leaking sunroofs, etc...etc...etc.

Are my concerns legit? Do I stay with a brand that I have had ZERO issues with?
Talk to me folks. Thanks for the help.
2016 z71 started giving transmission problems 107000 miles. I hated the cylinder deactivation and going down hills it would gear down to nearly 5000 rpm at times. In a curve at night on wet roads it was scary. the truck drove and handled great but the new designs arent as dependable as the mid 2000's were. I had a 2002 tahoe that was the best most dependable vehicle I ever owned. The new chevys just dont have the build quality the older ones did. I will probably never buy another GM product. The F250 doesnt handle like a chevy with the independent suspension but it is a much stronger truck.

"Ford trucks are very "Truck Like" even in Platinums and King Ranches, you'll never mistake their interiors for anything but a truck."

I beg to differ. I have a top of the line Volvo. Some reviewers say that Volvo seats are just short of a Bentley's. They are amazing. My week old Platinum's isn't quite there but its seats are mighty comfy and the leather is quite nice. The massage feature isn't close to Volvo's but it isn't anything to sneeze at either. Pretty darn swank for a truck IMHO.
Yea same here I’ve got the king ranch The interior and there is nicer than most of the cars I’ve seen

Have you driven the new GM’s? One of the problems I had with this current generation is the comfort factor. Those seats kill me after an hour of driving. Doing a long haul with that seating surface is an off putting proposal.

We were in the same boat as you in that our family (dad, brother, uncles) were all Chevy men and have had tremendous success with overall reliability. It goes back to the late 50’s!
But, we’ve had Ford trucks on the farm as well and they were also good. What do you want the truck to do is the question.

My next truck will be an F350, whether Tremor or not.

The reliability factor extends to all of the manufacturers, unfortunately. As long as there are “fixes” for known issues, I’m not worried about one brand over another.

Agree with you guys. Just wanted to chime in as another happy tremor owner. I’ve had it since august 2020, the 6.7 L, i still enjoy getting into it every morning and it has done everything I have asked it to do and made it fun, everything from towing heavy to off roading to family road trips and it shines. Ultimately make sure the wife is on board haha but you won’t regret getting a tremor

First off, the Ford rides like hell. With solid axles, and HD springs, it's the worst of the bunch. Empty. Also, the Tremor pkg does not include a rear Sway Bar. Sway Bars inhibit Articulation. The Tremor pkg is about off-road performance. You'll want to add a Rear Sway bar, Helwig #7320, especially when your plans include Towing. Ford trucks are very "Truck Like" even in Platinums and King Ranches, you'll never mistake their interiors for anything but a truck. I knew going in I didn't like a few things about the Tremor Pkg, but they were things I could easily change. For one, the Tires it comes with allow the Truck to wander .. it will not, and did not hold a straight line on the freeway. I exchanged them, now it drives more like my previous Ford Trucks. With the exception of a couple Dodges, back when Ford was using the 6.0 Diesel, I've owned Fords. My Family owns 9 New Car Dealerships. They sell Rams and Chevrolets every day. I can have one for whatever they pay. But, for some reason .. ;) .. when it comes to trucks, everyone in our family drive Fords ..
Is a rear sway bar necessary if you have have an anti-sway WDH?

Have you driven the new GM’s? One of the problems I had with this current generation is the comfort factor. Those seats kill me after an hour of driving. Doing a long haul with that seating surface is an off putting proposal.

We were in the same boat as you in that our family (dad, brother, uncles) were all Chevy men and have had tremendous success with overall reliability. It goes back to the late 50’s!
But, we’ve had Ford trucks on the farm as well and they were also good. What do you want the truck to do is the question.

My next truck will be an F350, whether Tremor or not.

The reliability factor extends to all of the manufacturers, unfortunately. As long as there are “fixes” for known issues, I’m not worried about one brand over another.
I Currently have a 2018 GMC, the new truck will be my daily driver year round and tow just in the summer months.

Agree with you guys. Just wanted to chime in as another happy tremor owner. I’ve had it since august 2020, the 6.7 L, i still enjoy getting into it every morning and it has done everything I have asked it to do and made it fun, everything from towing heavy to off roading to family road trips and it shines. Ultimately make sure the wife is on board haha but you won’t regret getting a tremor
She is 100% on board.... with a 3/4 ton. Ford as I said earlier is not her preference. She says if you like it go for it, my biggest fear is that we have an issue on a trip and I’ll never hear the end of it “should got the GMC like I said” LOL

I grew up a Ford guy... 1966 F100, 1987 F150. Dad had F150s, Grandpa (Dad's dad) had a 1965F100, 1978 F250, 1987 F250 diesel, 1996 F250 diesel, and 2000 F350 DRW diesel. I've driven all of these trucks, some 1000s of miles.

My Grandma (Mom's mom) married a guy who retired from GM. We were eligible for S and O plans. So, Dad and I became GM guys.

I had a 2000 GMC and 2009 GMC, Dad had a 2001 Chevy and 2008 Chevy. He now drives a 2015 Ram 2500 diesel to pull his 5th wheel.

Here's the funny thing I've notices throughout ALL of these:
  • GM trucks handle and ride better than Ford. Everything from steering to suspension.
  • Ford is a "heavier duty" specification. Bolts, axles, brakes, etc. all seem to be beefier.
  • GM powertrains are typically more reliable, but will have more nagging issues like burning oil (thank you AFM), leaking hoses, etc.
  • Fords are easier to work on and maintain but GM's part availability is better
  • They both rust
  • GM interiors wear out faster
  • Ford power steering pumps whine like a banshee
  • Fords are more capable in the real world
  • GM 4WD systems are more user friendly but less durable
  • GM engine performance is better (except the 7.3L which is a Ford clone of an LS)
Grandma and Grandpa (Mom's side) passed away a few years ago, so I wasn't eligible for any discounts. All said and done, I went back to Ford because of the 7.3. Lariat Tremor seemed the best value for my desires.

Is a rear sway bar necessary if you have have an anti-sway WDH?
The Tremor was designed specifically as a dual purpose truck, substantial payload and towing capacity, and very capable off road. By doing this it pretty much blows the Power Wagon out of the competition. If you don't plan on doing off road to speak of, than an anti sway bar will help with tall loads like a truck camper. They offer pretty much no benefit with a fifth wheel or standard trailer. Use a sway control hitch for sure with larger standard trailers. If you add a sway control bar you will substantially reduce your off road capability. One other related item. Tremors come with Goodyear DuraTrac tires which have more flex in the sidewall than standard LT tires. Some express frustration with the "soft or mushy" feel, especially when towing. You get used to the feel if you stick with them for a couple thousand miles. Ford chose the DuraTracs again for improved off road capability. A compromise again to improve the overall capability of the dual purpose truck. We plan on camping off grid and BLM land and that's the reason for the Tremor choice. For that reason alone I would never add a sway bar or stiffer tires. Just my two cents. ?

Back